DVD/CD-RW drive reads disks with content but doesn't read blank discs

Step 1: I clicked start and my computer
Step 2: I right clicked my DVD-RW drive and clicked properties
step 3: I clicked the recording tab... I should be able to click DVD-RW drive as the default recorder but the ONLY default recorder I have listed is the C: drive which is my hard drive...

How can I fix this?

Yes. When I goto the properties of the drive and click on the recording tab the recording box is always empty... when I click the box then I can click on the drive drop down box for recording and the hard disk c drive is all thats listed.

Sounds as if your system doesn't recognize your drive as a recorder. Have you updated your system through Windows Update, including optional updates. Its the optional updates that usually update hardware drivers.

Does Disk Management have any yellow flags, for devices that have not yet been setup with proper drivers?

Im using xp pro sp1... I dunno if updates n uprgades will work with my copy of windows but I will go ahead and try... and no yellow flags.

I think cd/dvd/dvd-rw drives are plug and play under windows xp and later OSes.
try to see documentation regarding supported discs of your dvd-rw drive as some drives will only read/write/rewrite certain media types like cd-r, cd+r, cd-rw, cd+rw, dvd-r, dvd+r, dvd-rw, dvd+rw.

also some drives will not be able to "handle" certain brands.
in my case, I prefer hp, sony, and iomega branded blank cd/dvd discs.

I don't really understand this 'default recorder' thing you are trying to do. You burn DVDs with something other than Windows Explorer in XP anyway.

Back