DVD drive not showing in My Computer

LukeyJB

Hey, when I put a DVD/CD into my drive it won't show up in my computer, but I can still use it. I put The Sims 3 in the drive, it does not show up in My Computer but I can still play the game with no problems. I'm currently putting a blank disc in so I can save some files to it, and I need to access the DVD via My Computer but the Drive is not appearing. I went into Device Manager and in the DVD/CD-Rom drives section it shows a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark next to the drive icon.

I have Windows Vista 32-bit OS

Typical of a drive on its way to total failure, in our experienc.

How old is the drive, and who is the manufactuer.

Many optical drive manaufacturers offer firmware updates on their website, by model number, that often fix such things as what you describe.... Simple download and install.

I've had the laptop 10 months, it's dissapeared before just after I got it but it came back after a reboot. It didn't this time, I've recently had the laptop come back from repairs after a corrupted HDD.

I don't know the manufacturer TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633B ATA DEVICE, that's what it says in DManager.

I've emailed Acer Support but they're notorious for been crap.

Tell us what you have tried?

Have your attempted a temporarily replacement with another borrowed, known working drive?

It is difficult for anyone on TechSpot to come up with suggestions, when you have not helped out by giving us the brand, model, configuration, and age of all components... as well as where purchased and the original warranty.

I did email Acer and because I bought my machine from PC World who apparently have a contract of some sort that prehibits Acer from fixing machines that were bought from there I have to get it sorted via PC Worlds branch 'tech guys'

Back