DVD drive shows up as RECOVERY D:/ no matter what I put in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a major problem where my DVD drive shows up as RECOVERY D:/
When I explore it, it has some padlock icon that opens in shitty internet explorer some POS pcangel thing.
I don't know how long this problem has been around, I haven't used the DVD drive in a while.
I got the hard drive from a friend, but it came clean, as they removed all their crap.
I never inserted any recovery CD, especially not anything with PCangel.

The problem hasn't persisted in linux in the past, though my Linux hard drive isn't currently in this computer.

The DVD drive has never had any problems, it is fairly new.

Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Try uninstalling the driver in device manager, the restart windows. windows will reinstall the drivers at startup.

Upgrade your DVD drives firmware. i had the same problem. Firmware upgrade solved it for me!

sounds like maybe the DVD is not even being detected and maybe you have a recovery partition on your hard disk that;s now being assigned the old DVD drive letter?

in any case, uninstall/reinstall as others suggested should fix

You can also try using the Disk Management Console. if only to look at disks to see if there really is a recovery partition (may as well know if one's available for one thing!) It won;t fix your DVD problem but good to know what's on ur disk and what's happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back