Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabegeek

I have a new-to-me desktop dell
pentium 4
windows xp pro SP 3
dvd player: tsst corp cdrwdvd ts-h493b
(also has samsung cd-rom sc-148c)

software: avast free, malwarebytes, spybot s/d (scan only), spywareblaster (currently off), spywareguard (currently off), zonealarm free firewall

hi techspot,
i am trying to solve another problem over at bleeping computer having to do with streaming video on this computer. i read about you--you were highly recommended for someone with a driver-related problem, which this may be.

in trying to figure out my streaming video problem i tried out the cd player and the dvd player today for the first time. the cd player works fine except sound is weak even at top settings.

dvd player has pretty much the same sound as the cd player with a cd in it, that is, weakish sound.
When I put in a movie there is beautiful video but zero sound. I tried a few different movies to make sure of the problerm.

other info: default media player is wmp
a former user seems to have used powerdvd 6

i can play a movie using either wmp or powerdvd. Neither have any sound.

i am happy to add new drivers, etc, but will need help.
Not sure if related to streaming video problem (shuts down browsers, explorer and firefox, for you-tube and hulu, as soon as video loads. some short commercials ok video and sound.)

appreciate ideas.
thanks!
wannabegeek

thank you divide by zero. it is on my desktop now.
do i need to go offline and and stop firewall and antivirus before running the exe file?
it is okay with me. I am posting on a different computer.

I normally disable antivirus whenever I install trusted software, but it's not mandatory. You should be good to go.

thanks.
i looked ahead at the exe screens. there are a lot of things to check and uncheck. i do not know what to do about them. is there any chance you could walk me through the screens? if it is too late for you i understand, or if you are too busy.

thanks travis. I think you are talking about add hardware? if so, there are no question marks and it says everything is working properly, including the audio and video codecs and the dvd player. but perhaps they need updating or repair anyway, and that is what i will get via the k-lite program, i hope. is this correct?

I'd recommend leaving all the values at default level for the time being- i.e. don't change any check boxes.
From memory, the screens should follow something like this:
Setup screen > click "Next"
Information/agreement screen > click "Next"
Select destination folder screen -this should be something like C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack > click "Next"
Component selection > leave everything as is (some items should be checked, some others unchecked) > click "Next"
the select Start Menu folder > click "Next"
Select additional tasks (or similar) screen. "Reset all settings to default" should be checked. You can also add a desktop shortcut if you plan on experimenting with the codecs (not advised unless you read up first).
There should also be a File associations section, so check the "Create File Association for:" box and click the button for Windows Media Player and any other players that you intend to use if they are shown then click "Next"
the "install / ready to install" screen is next > click "install"
You should then have the final screen that should have somenthing along the lines of "click Finish to exit setup" , so > click "Finish" (don't worry about checking any of the configure utilities- you can do this later if needed, which it probably won't be)
That should be it.
I'll stay on site and monitor the thread for a little longer just in case you run into any problems.

at the end it wants to connect to the internet and now i am trying to restart my internet connection. stand by for further updates!

okay. online. i am on i think the very last screen. it has four check boxes, for ffdshow video recorder, ffdshow audio recorder, directvobsub, and realmedia. do i need any of these?

o just saw you said dont worry about these so i will click finish. did it. should my sound possibly work now? is it time to test it?

okay. with earbuds sound is very nice. with my speakers, quite weak. these are not great speakers but they sound louder with my laptop than with this computer.

Probably time to invest in some better speakers now you can use them!
Glad you everything sorted. Enjoy your time at Techspot.

thank you so much! you really cut to the chase about the codecs. then ii was intimidated by the file but you got me through it!
very grateful!
wannabegeek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back