DVD RW Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy06shake

Can anyone advise please, my DvD Rewriter a Super writemaster (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F SCSI CdRom Device) has started to refuse to read/write any DvDs. When i insert a DvD the drive attempts to read it, fails, and my system becomes unresponsive. Then i am prompted to insert a writable disk. The weird thing is that it still reads CDs fine! Device Manager reports that the device is working properly and has upto date drivers. The drive only cost me £15 so i can replace it if i have to but i only bought it 5-6 months ago. Anybody any ideas? My specs E8500 3.17Ghz, Asus P5NQ-32E SLI, 4Gb 667Mhz, XFI GTX275 896Mb

It might be bad filters. See [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

I have removed the device using device manager. Then added it again but the drive still refuses to read DvDs, still seem to be fine with cds. Will keep trying.

Ok ive read the tutorial on "CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters" followed the instructions for Vista(Im running Windows 7 64bit), installed Regjump and went to "regjump HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" and there are no Subkeys so i dont think there are any upper or lower filters present. Anyone any ideas?

Ok i went in to bios and selected 1st boot device as CD/DvD rom, so that the system tries to boot from cd first. Put my Windows disk in and waited for the "Press a key to boot from CD" prompt. No luck all i hear is the disk spinning and i get a cursor at the top left of black screen. My conclusion....My DvD writter is F**K**. Anybody agree? What do you think LookInAround?

If you want a second opinion for what's it's worth, I also think it is a bad drive.

OH! Wait a minute! There's a few things wrong here...

1) You did regjump incorrectly. You should be using the regjump command to look for filters for Class=CDROM (but you used the one for Class=DiskDrives). You should be using
Code:
regjump HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

2) And when regjump command runs, i think you should at minimum still be seeing some subkeys. Specifically there should be
> A subkey named Class
> And the subkey value should be CDROM

I wonder for Win7 if might need to go to C:\Windows\system32\regjump.exe, hit compatibility tab and click Run as Administrator

Or just navigate through the registry with regedit yourself

Just saw mailpup's post.. Even tho i noted you did the filter check wrong, I still agree with the opinion on the opinion ;) is still more likely then not that it ends up the drive is just bad. (Does that make it an opinion on an opinion on an opinion? :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back