DVI-D to VGA question

Rowbance

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I bought one of these, if it would work.
it's a dvi-d to vga adapter. The site says "the adapter only works if your computer AND your monitor both support digital and analog".

I bought a new GPU but now I can't connect my vga output from my tv to my videocard. There is a vga port but it's already occupied for my old crt screen. On my older GPU I had a DVI-I port so I used a DVI-I to VGA adapter to connect the tv. But now I've got VGA,HMDI, and 2 DVI-D ports.
(I don't use the hdmi on my tv because the input lag is terrible, cheap tv)

So I want to buy this adapter to fix my problem but I've read DVI-D is only digital ? I'm kinda confused on this.
My GPU and tv both support digital and analog as the site requests, so is this gonna work, or is it just a scam ?

This also made me wonder why the hell they don't just put DVI-I ports on all videocards, it's supports both analog an digital, Which is far more convenient than having only a digital signal (or am I missing something here).

Thanks for reading !

Last edited:
I've also found this adapter/converter. It's more expensive but it looks more trustable than the 1st one I posted.

Last edited:
DVI converters do not carry the audio (n) and that's why we use HDMI - - it does.

*IF* your willing, you can use the dvi to carry the video and an extra wire to connect audio.

Audio is not really an issue hear since I'm using an audio interface and a pair of studio monitors. The tv doesn't really need to make any sound.

Anyway, I just ordered the "startech dvi-d to vga active adapter". I have no clue if it's gonna work tbh... But if it doesn't I can always send it back anyway so...lets hope for the best !

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I bought one of these, if it would work.
it's a dvi-d to vga adapter. The site says "the adapter only works if your computer AND your monitor both support digital and analog".
That would be a mistake on their part, as the adapter is the DVI-I to VGA.

Digital Visual Interface
The DVI connector on a device is given one of three names, depending on which signals it implements:
  • DVI-D (digital only, single link or dual link)
  • DVI-A (analog only)
  • DVI-I (integrated, combines digital and analog in the same connector; digital may be single or dual link)
If you already have an adapter, there is no need in buying another.

I'm not sure if I'm following here... :D
Do you mean the 1st site I linked made a mistake and it's a dvi-I adapter ? On the pictures the pins look like dvi-d to me.
I already have an adapter but it's a dvi-I to vga, and I'm going to need a dvi-d to vga.
I've done a litlle bit of googling and apparentely only an active adapter will work to convert digital into analog. So I ordered the second adapter I posted (startech). should be coming in the mail soon. I'll let you guys know if it works or not.

I'm not sure if I'm following here... :D
Do you mean the 1st site I linked made a mistake and it's a dvi-I adapter ? On the pictures the pins look like dvi-d to me.
Those are simple straight through adapters. DVI-D does not have analog signaling and can not be use for straight through adapters. Digital to analog conversion will require an electronic circuit that is not present in those adapters. The device in your second link should work.

Those are simple straight through adapters. DVI-D does not have analog signaling and can not be use for straight through adapters. Digital to analog conversion will require an electronic circuit that is not present in those adapters. The device in your second link should work.

I see. Don't really understand why they would ever make these... :p
But good news guys ! The device from the second link just arrived and it works perfect :).
Happy to see my tv working again without input lag !
It came with a usb adapter but it seems to be working fine without it.

Another thing is that I've seen some different kinds of these dvi-d to vga active adapters which go for far more money (+100 dollars). So let's hope mine keeps living for a couple of years ^^

Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping me out. Learned something new about display ports :).

Last edited:
Back