Dyson built a ventilator in just 10 days using its digital motor technology

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Dyson has become the latest tech company to join the fight against Covid-19 by diverting some of its resources and expertise to help design a ventilator to address shortages. Impressively enough, Dyson’s creation – the CoVent – came together in less than two weeks, after James Dyson received a call from UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Dyson has joined forces with The Technology Partnership to design and build a ventilator based on the British company’s digital motor.

In an internal e-mail sent to employees obtained by Fast Company, the tech company founder said the CoVent can be manufactured quickly, efficiently and at volume. Drawing from Dyson’s expertise in air purification, it was designed to address the specific needs of Covid-19 patients and is suited for a variety of clinical settings.

Dyson said they’ve already received an initial order of 10,000 units from the UK government but because ventilators are a regulated product, they must first get approval before manufacturing can move forward.

“The race is now on to get it into production,” Dyson added.

Dyson further noted that he would be donating 5,000 additional units to international relief efforts, 1,000 of which will go to the United Kingdom.

Prime Minister Johnson revealed on Friday that he has tested positive for the Coronavirus. On Twitter, the leader said he was experiencing mild symptoms and is now self-isolating but will continue to lead the government’s response via video conferencing as they fight the virus.

Permalink to story.

Hmm. A vacuum cleaner company. I can't see anything wrong with this.
View attachment 86334
Dyson is definitely not one of my favorites. To me, he is first and foremost a marketer. His hand-blade driers blow bacteria all over public bathrooms and is the main reason I use paper towels or dry my hands on my pants. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...rs-another-study-shows-how-gross-they-may-be/

Maybe he has something that really works, and if so, maybe it will spark him to do some real good in this world rather than helping to contaminate public bathrooms.

In fairness the company's research for decades now has been around fluid dynamics and filtration technology. So their products have focused around the expertise they have gained in that, vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, purifiers, fans and heaters etc. They have run air quality studies in cities with technology of their own design.

Ventilators are obviously not their forte but it's not a leap from their existing science and R&D to this, certainly less so than car manufacturers or whatever

They have run air quality studies in cities with technology of their own design.
Unfortunately, doing studies of your own technology, if that is what you are saying with this - that his company studied their own products, can lead to conflicts of interest and the absence of reporting anything revealed in the results that would make their product(s) look bad. I am not saying this is the case; yet given that studies indicate hand-dryers like the Dyson "Air blade" dryer actually spread contamination in places where they are installed, it leads me, at least, to question him and his products.

Unfortunately, doing studies of your own technology, if that is what you are saying with this - that his company studied their own products, can lead to conflicts of interest and the absence of reporting anything revealed in the results that would make their product(s) look bad. I am not saying this is the case; yet given that studies indicate hand-dryers like the Dyson "Air blade" dryer actually spread contamination in places where they are installed, it leads me, at least, to question him and his products.

The study was of urban area air quality with King's College London, not of the backpack they designed to map it

Got to admit, when the going gets tough the tough get going and one things for sure ... it beats the hell out of that damn flame thrower that came out of Tesla! Unless of course you want to burn out your lungs .....

Knowing more, that was easy to find. Indeed, Dyson engineers, in cooperation with King's College London, designed a device to measure air quality. https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-launches-air-quality-monitor-backpack-trials In this, Dyson makes an effort to let everyone know of their "expertise."

I know you dislike Dyson but many of the studies of the bacteria that air dryers disperse were bought and paid for by various purveyors of alternative methods like the massive paper towel industry. So Dyson bought their own studies/scientists that pointed out the flaws in the first studies.

It's hard to know which to believe unless you go really in depth on their data, well respected scientists arguing with each other is nothing new.

Very nice article. Drying your hands is very dirty business.

I know you dislike Dyson but many of the studies of the bacteria that air dryers disperse were bought and paid for by various purveyors of alternative methods like the massive paper towel industry. So Dyson bought their own studies/scientists that pointed out the flaws in the first studies.

It's hard to know which to believe unless you go really in depth on their data, well respected scientists arguing with each other is nothing new.

As far as the Dyson hand dryers, they are terrible. They blast water off my own hands into my face, plus other people's before me. This water sits on the device and grows mold, mildew, bacteria, and whatever else is sitting in it (viruses). They are disgusting.

Good luck getting that manufactured in Malaysia right now. Afaik non essential factories were ordered shut.

Interesting article. Dyson is by no means averse to skewing the results, too.

Here is a study conducted by Leed's UK.
https://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/articl...ead_bacteria_in_public_toilets_research_finds

Dyson is definitely not one of my favorites. To me, he is first and foremost a marketer. His hand-blade driers blow bacteria all over public bathrooms and is the main reason I use paper towels or dry my hands on my pants. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...rs-another-study-shows-how-gross-they-may-be/

Maybe he has something that really works, and if so, maybe it will spark him to do some real good in this world rather than helping to contaminate public bathrooms.
Except Dyson Blade hand dryers have filters in them. Do you think they are just sucking air in and spitting it out? If anything they are cleaning the air.

It is good to see that manufacturers are jumping into action to assist with the shortages of Ventilators in the UK and EU, however the answer isn't having companies that have no knowledge try to manufacturer these products, they might have the technical capabilities to manufacturer a suitable Ventilator, however the time and expense involved in obtaining approval for the product to Directive 93/42/EEC Medical Devices Directive, will out weigh the urgent need, which is Now!
The British government has had multiple offers of certified products, that could have been purchased weeks ago, but the bureaucratic longwinded system with our Government has meant these Ventilators that were available, have been taken by other countries. Which means UK is now all back of the Bus, if orders were to be placed now.

Back