E3 is online-only again this year due to Omicron

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: The Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) joined the list of events that will be online-only this year due to concerns about the Omicron variant of Covid-19. It is the second year in a row that organizers have opted to host the event entirely online.

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) confirmed with GamesBeat that it has shifted E3 online again and will announce more details soon. The event hasn’t been held in person since 2019. Because of the initial Covid-19 outbreak, 2020 was the first year E3 was ever canceled in the event’s 20-plus-year history. Last year, the ordinarily hands-on expo returned as an online-only affair.

However, IGN's sources say that even a digital event isn't set in stone this year and that the ESA may have given up on a physical expo as far back as last year. Usually, the ESA immediately follows the conclusion of E3 with confirmed dates for the following year's event, but it's been half a year since E3 2021, and we don't have any specific dates for 2022. The future of the event itself may be in question.

The 2022 Summer Game Fest website—a similar online event meant to show off upcoming video games—went live around the same time the organizers announced E3 2022 change. Its schedule also has yet to be announced.

Another event moving online this year because of Omicron is the Sundance Film Festival, which starts on January 20. Initially, organizers planned a hybrid event. The 2022 Game Developers Conference, coming up in March, will still be in-person but requires attendees to be vaccinated. It was virtual-only last year.

The Consumer Electronics Show this week was technically an in-person event. Still, Omicron caused many prominent attendees to drop out at the last minute, including Panasonic, IBM, BMW, AMD, Microsoft, Intel, and others. The event also ended one day early.

Image credit: The Doppelganger (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Permalink to story.

Due to omicron or the government?

Good timing I was watching a video on leakedreality around 1AM and in Germany the police removed the protesters wheel off the wheelchair and picked him up with the wheelchair they broke to arrest him! This is getting crazy!

Your comment holds truth in away.

Due to dictatorship that it is getting more and more powerful. Djokovic hasn't been let to enter the freaking Australia because he wasn't vaxxed. He had covid. So he has natural immunity. He had a test so he prove he hasn't got covid. But no, he has to get vaxxed cause that is what the dictatorship these days mandate.

Maybe this year, the majority of people will understand, finally, that vaxxing is not about getting over this situation, but it is about keeping you in control and continuing this crap.

Well, since all the money is now, (allegedly), in the ether, ownership of physical items is no longer necessary due to "NFTs", which only exist in the ether, why in god's name would anyone bother to go to the expense of renting a building to play games which only exist in the ether anyway?

OK, I suppose if you put all the gamers in one room, make them surrender their phones, they won't be able to SWAT one another when they lose.

OK, that makes sense.

>> most vaccinated population ever
>> most covid cases ever

That means the vaccines are working! The huge problem was ALWAYS that this "vaccine" (updated 2021 definition) was never sterilizing against covid. Who remembers "95% effective at preventing symptomatic illness?" I'm sick of people claiming "The vaccine was never intended to prevent illness!" Go read Pfizer's claims from early 2021 since you have the memory of a doorknob.

Due to dictatorship that it is getting more and more powerful. Djokovic hasn't been let to enter the freaking Australia because he wasn't vaxxed. He had covid. So he has natural immunity. He had a test so he prove he hasn't got covid. But no, he has to get vaxxed cause that is what the dictatorship these days mandate.

Maybe this year, the majority of people will understand, finally, that vaxxing is not about getting over this situation, but it is about keeping you in control and continuing this crap.
If you were on Twitter spreading "misinformation" to this degree, your posts would likely be pulled, or you could potentially be banned..

Personally, I wish Techspot would adopt a similar policy towards bullsh!t like yours.

If you were on Twitter spreading "misinformation" to this degree, your posts would likely be pulled, or you could potentially be banned..

Personally, I wish Techspot would adopt a similar policy towards bullsh!t like yours.
I like that Techspot allows freedom of speech. The only way bad ideas are rooted out is by speaking them openly in a public forum. The thought police censoring and banning people only sends these people to congregate together in other uncensored places. Instead of having a ying and yang of ideas and discussion to discover truth, people on both sides of an argument end up only hearing the side that agrees with them. It's dangerous.

I like that Techspot allows freedom of speech. The only way bad ideas are rooted out is by speaking them openly in a public forum. The thought police censoring and banning people only sends these people to congregate together in other uncensored places. Instead of having a ying and yang of ideas and discussion to discover truth, people on both sides of an argument end up only hearing the side that agrees with them. It's dangerous.
And I agree with you, save for three pivotal points
1: Wrong never admits it's wrong.
2: You can't reason with the insane.
3; You can't fix stupid

Not to mention that supporters of our former president manifest in all three categories simultaneously

Florida's covid rate has increased some 900% (?) in just a few weeks. Ron DiSantis is spraying around the same crap I have to listen to from some of my fellow members.

Jonas Salk worked long and hard on a vaccine to prevent polio. Were he alive today, he'd be shouted down by some narcissistic blowhard of a politician. Meanwhile, we'd be short on hospital beds, and iron lungs.

So maybe, just maybe, at least a warning from management on the order of, "duck, incoming bullsh!t", would be in order.-

Last edited:
And I agree with you, save for three pivotal points
1: Wrong never admits it's wrong.
2: You can't reason with the insane.
3; You can't fix stupid

Not to mention that supporters of our former president manifest in all three categories simultaneously
Certainly, it's very difficult to change someone's mind, the ego usually gets in the way. However, when that discussion is broadcast on the internet to everyone in the world; that's when it doesn't matter that the people arguing aren't going to change either of their minds. If it's a constructive, civil debate without name calling. The thousands of other people who read through that exchange will be able to understand both peoples' perspective. And while everyone reading it will come with their own biases, I think that's when it's more likely for someone to learn something new and potentially change their views.

So I always advocate against censorship.

Fine, leave it up. but warn against it. Both Facebook and Twitter have misinformation warnings.

If you're willing to debate whether or not the last election was rigged for the rest of your life, more power to you. Sisyphus

Note: That wasn't an "ad hominem" attack, merely a behavioral allegory.

At first comments like yours I foolishly expected it to be over exaggerated tin foil hat theory but when I saw the weak ones getting beat up like the guy in the wheel chair it finally hit me. Seems that the people holding a gun (police) and the ones holding the pen (Politicians) are becoming worse and it comes down to virus vs freedom.

This is plain dumb. It's time to get on with life. I'm not watching the E3 if it's online only. There's no point to it. Trade shows NEED to be in-person, hands-on events. Otherwise, why have one at all? Companies can just show their wears online like they normally do.

Just dumb...

Last edited:

Por Vous, : QAnon star Cirsten Weldon, who said only idi0ts get vaccinated, and who called for Tony Fauci to be executed, has died of Covid.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon...said-only-*****s-get-vaccinated-dies-of-covid

STAFF I have asked that "misinformation" such as contained in @yeeeeman 's post be labeled as such. This is current practice on many social media sites. Now TS won't let me post valid links because all of the site's URLs contain the "I word" (idi0t) to verify that this story is true.

It’s already happening. We have doctors speaking out against vaccine mandates on the news in the U.K. They claim the science doesn’t back the mandates up. This is significant as the U.K. media has previously been stamping on anything that might cause people to hesitate before taking a vaccine. We are seeing more and more doctors able to get their messages out despite being cancelled on Twitter/Facebook or whatever (Thankyou Spotify, telegram, duck duck go etc)

Maybe I can finally have my life back. It’s been nearly 2 years that’s been robbed from me for a virus that hasn’t ever been anywhere near as lethal as even best case predictions government scientist have made.

It’s already happening. We have doctors speaking out against vaccine mandates on the news in the U.K. They claim the science doesn’t back the mandates up. This is significant as the U.K. media has previously been stamping on anything that might cause people to hesitate before taking a vaccine. We are seeing more and more doctors able to get their messages out despite being cancelled on Twitter/Facebook or whatever (Thankyou Spotify, telegram, duck duck go etc)

Maybe I can finally have my life back. It’s been nearly 2 years that’s been robbed from me for a virus that hasn’t ever been anywhere near as lethal as even best case predictions government scientist have made.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-01-predator-virus-exploits-frailty-ill.html

I’m not really sure why you have posted this. However of course death rates for the population has gone up. We had lockdowns and these affect everyone. There were tens of thousands of missed cancer appointments in the U.K., that’s bound to have an effect on the mortality rate (although good luck finding out, you hit a brick wall if you look up any exact information about this). Then there is the unemployment, stress and depression (some people I know were on their own for months without being able to see family). All this on top of poor health from reduced activity and I can very much see how over the last two years mortality can go up.

One thing is for sure, I’m under 40. My chances of survival from Covid is above 99.996% (see ONS data for source). For me and most of the healthy population the virus is provably not a mortal threat.

Back