EA announces $1.6m Battlefield 3 contest, PC gamers not invited

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Digital war veterans will have the opportunity to compete for a life-changing $1.6 million in cash and prizes as part of an upcoming Battlefield 3 contest. Hosted by EA DICE and Virgin Gaming, the "Battlefield 3 Worldwide Conquest Tournament" will kick off in early 2012 with online matches and culminate with a live grand finale.

Interested? Lace up your combat boots and march over to the official contest site for preregistration -- but leave your keyboard and mouse at home. Unfortunately, the event is only open for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 players. PC gamers hoping partake in the festivities might want to brush up on their shooter skills with a gamepad.

As the contest page boldly states, this is "the largest online console game tournament ever." It's unclear why PC gamers have been excluded, but I'm sure we can all think of at least one reason. With Battlefield 3 being the subject of many disappointments in the PC community lately, we imagine this news merely adds insult to injury.

It was recently revealed that PlayStation 3 players would receive a week-long exclusivity on all Battlefield 3 expansions. Prior to that, EA faced backlash because it won't offer Battlefield 3 through Steam. Gamers were also disgruntled over EA's preorder antics and the lack of an in-game server browser (you find games in a Web browser).

It's worth noting that the game entered beta this week. Folks who preordered Battlefield 3 or purchased Medal of Honor Limited Edition gained access yesterday, while everyone else will be invited tomorrow. Early impressions are mixed, but we'll reserve judgment for the final release. Oh, and be sure to update your drivers if you're playing.

Permalink to story.

Because this is the "true" sequel to BF2. Good marketing bollocks again EA..

Screw these guys. I don't care if this turns out to be the greatest game ever made - I'm not buying it due to EA's recent anti-PC gamer attitude.

I understand what they are doing, but this is like having a "World's Best Basketball Player" contest, and not letting anyone from the NBA participate.

They want publicity which will channel into more console sales, but with their money, you figure they could have thrown PC players a $250,000 bone or something.

But being honest, the PC game industry has lost me as a front line, pre-order the game, type of consumer. I only buy GOTY editions from Steam for twenty bucks. So these delays and what not don't really affect me as I typically buy any game 12+ months after release. It also had the added effect of me no longer upgrading my video card as fast as before. But that's just me, so I don't expect your typical PC gamer to be in my shoes.

But what all the Nvidia and AMD video card partners *DO* need to realize is that as PC gaming declines, so do their sales. Alienating the PC gamers by the game companies will have a very strong tail end effect on the enthusiast class components, because if there is no longer a MUST HAVE game coming out, there won't be the same need to upgrade video cards.

Well, there's another reason (applies only if the tournament can be played from your house)

Hacking...

But I doubt you can play from your house. Another reason though is that they're getting most of their sales from consoles C_C

I have been hearing people say that for quite a long time, but have been reading things like this:
From PC Advisor

PC Gaming to Surpass Console Gaming in Revenue by 2015

During a conference call with NVIDIA this week some interesting information from DFC Intelligence, "a strategic market research and consulting firm focused on interactive entertainment and the emerging video game, online game, interactive entertainment and portable game markets" according to their webiste, was revealed that paints the world of PC gaming in a much more positive light than previously expected. By anyone's account, the coming fall and winter release schedules are going to be packed with fantastic releases:
... it goes on...
And while most gaming pundits have been telling us for years that PC gaming is dying, the report from DFC tells a different story:
...the rest of the article can be had here:
http://pcper.com/news/Editorial/PC-Gaming-Surpass-Console-Gaming-Revenue-2015

Are we sure this isn't just pissed off PC gamers angry over a game being console exclusive?

I believe this move is intelligent on EA's part (even if I hate it to the core)... Considering that PC controls tend to be more efficient in FPS games - wasn't it EA or some other big studio that did a study and found that to be true? At least with consoles, it's a true head-to-head contest on a basically even playing field.

That said, they COULD split off a PC-only contest as well, instead of just turning their back on the PC gaming community. But, that would require some forethought and consideration for their customer base as a whole, things that EA seems to be short of lately.

Vrmithrax said:
I believe this move is intelligent on EA's part (even if I hate it to the core)... Considering that PC controls tend to be more efficient in FPS games - wasn't it EA or some other big studio that did a study and found that to be true? At least with consoles, it's a true head-to-head contest on a basically even playing field.

That said, they COULD split off a PC-only contest as well, instead of just turning their back on the PC gaming community. But, that would require some forethought and consideration for their customer base as a whole, things that EA seems to be short of lately.

Or they could have stuck to their word and made it PC only, considering the BF2 fanbase was PC only to begin with. This is nothing more than another publicity stunt to draw-in more brain dead console users that can't see past their bliss.

Uggggh, well I get it in away. So many varieties of PC's these. I guess they have to keep the tourney "even".

*Insert fart noise*

Considering that PC controls tend to be more efficient in FPS games - wasn't it EA or some other big studio that did a study and found that to be true?
Inherently true for FPS games. Aiming via mouse >>>>>>>> gamepad
At least with consoles, it's a true head-to-head contest on a basically even playing field.
Quite true. Where would the spirit of true competition be if Usain Bolt and the Spanish national football (soccer) team were allowed to be participants in the Special Olympics?

Its the only logical thing EA can do to Battlefield at this point in time, kill all roots to its PC origins and go with the flow of consoles that allows them to guarantee their profit. Seriously why even bother with tournaments on the PC anymore, its not like anyone uses those anymore for gaming... Should this really concern the vast majority people anyways? Simple answer is No, even if there were to be a PC based tournament I don't see myself dropping out of school and quiting my job just to stand the slightest chance at competing. (I imagine this goes for most Techspot members too) I understand the principle as to why this is wrong but at one point in time you have to look at this and just laugh, laugh at EA and at the console equivalent of this game. Comparison? What comparison, have fun playing with half... a quarter? the detail and your dumb controllers that have no real precision except for the mandatory auto aim (Don't quote me on the auto aim part thats just speculation)

One more thing, I do own a console and the only thing I use it for is racing games and party games.

I'm not surprised at all with this. After EA gave Steam the middle finger, it was only a matter of time before they turned their backs on PC gamers as a whole. I am a noob to PC gaming. I have been building my rig for about 9 months in anticipation for this game. Now, I really don't think I want to buy the game anymore if this is what they do to PC gamers. I could just go back to my xbox or ps3, but even then I won't buy this game. I bought BC2 for the xbox and the PC and I have to say that the graphics are significantly better on the PC, but graphics and mouse/keyboard aren't really worth this hassle.

@ghasmanjr Nine months? I just built an economy model and it took only the month of September, and September's not over. Anyway, don't fret. When windows 8 comes out, it will play Xbox 360 games, so they'll have to give in to pc gamers.

Makes perfect sense to me. After all 90% of pc players use wallhacks and aimbots. They definately dont deserve to win a prize for cheating. Its as simple as paying a monthly fee for a hack to be godmode in every pc shooer there is.

Funny people are mad because its not offered through Steam. I say this because Origin might in someway be in cahoots and affiliated with Steam as a partnership. I have the proof in emails, maybe they just use the same billing company and I'm wrong or something is fishy between them.

Guest said:
Makes perfect sense to me. After all 90% of pc players use wallhacks and aimbots. They definately dont deserve to win a prize for cheating. Its as simple as paying a monthly fee for a hack to be godmode in every pc shooer there is.

I think this is the perfect example of why EA might be abandoning the PC as a platform. It would seem that too many gamers suck and get fed up with PC gaming/getting owned by PC gamers. I understand that people hack but the problem is no where near as bad as the above guest makes it out to be.

"Makes perfect sense to me. After all 90% of pc players use wallhacks and aimbots. They definately dont deserve to win a prize for cheating. Its as simple as paying a monthly fee for a hack to be godmode in every pc shooer there is?"

Why does that ignorant comment make me think you aren't a PC gamer?
90%!
Here let me try: 95% of console gamers are prone to hyperbole when talking about PC's. Thing is it's probably true.

Im not gonna say 90% of pc gamers hack, but it is getting pretty bad. Especially if that site already has BF3 hack out lol. I think its pretty much a fact that people will pay for an advantage,and with 78k members id say thats a lot of hackers.

Back