EA faces criminal investigation in Belgium because it won't remove loot boxes from FIFA

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Following the loot box controversy that was ignited by Star Wars Battlefront 2 late last year, several countries and states began investigating whether these systems were a form of gambling. Belgium was one location that decided yes, they are, but EA has refused to comply with its new ruling. As such, the Belgian government is taking the company to court.

Earlier this year, Belgium said that the loot box systems in FIFA 18, Overwatch, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive are illegal under Belgian gambling laws as they all feature an element of chance. As such, they must be removed from the games within the country.

Blizzard, Valve, and 2K Games all adhered to the ruling and disabled the offending loot boxes in Belgium, but EA still hasn't followed suit. The randomized card packs in FIFA 18’s Ultimate Team mode are still available, and they’ll be present in FIFA 19, which launches at the end of this month.

Metro and Nieuwsblad have reported that the Belgian Gaming Commission contacted the public prosecutor’s office, which has opened a criminal investigation into EA. The gaming giant has been officially notified of the situation, and it may face court proceedings.

EA maintains that its loot boxes are not a form of gambling. "We don't believe that FIFA Ultimate Team or loot boxes are gambling firstly because players always receive a specified number of items in each pack, and secondly we don't provide or authorize any way to cash out or sell items or virtual currency for real money," said CEO Andrew Wilson last May. Belgium, it seems, disagrees.

Permalink to story.

EA is so ****ing greedy. They'd rather risk being taken to court then remove their gambling system for one damn country. I hope they lose millions and learn a lesson. Pay to win and loot boxes are stupid.

"We don't believe that FIFA Ultimate Team or loot boxes are gambling firstly because players always receive a specified number of items in each pack, and secondly we don't provide or authorize any way to cash out or sell items or virtual currency for real money," said CEO Andrew Wilson

Blah blah technically not gambling. Get rid of this garbage model once and for all.

It would be a very good thing for families in any country if what Belgium does is picked by other countries.
I will never forget reading a story on fifa forum. This guy was telling about his dying son and has happiness when he was opening fifa packs. He was spending thousands of dollars monthly on this because it would brighten his sons face whenever he was opening the packs.
But I know that there are perfectly healthy people who don't make a lot and they could spend their money on something healthy, like gym but instead would spend everything on in game things.
Exploiting it is. And while adults should be able to make these decisions on their own, I think it is disgusting that the companies like EA prey on minors. Cursed be their houses.

EA. From humble beginnings with great games to greed, arrogance and obliterated many innovative companies. (They bought and shut down many promising developers. Ultima and Wing Commander games series' developer, Houston, Texas' Origin "We Create Worlds", was among them.)

EA. From humble beginnings with great games to greed, arrogance and obliterated many innovative companies. (They bought and shut down many promising developers. Ultima and Wing Commander games series' developer, Houston, Texas' Origin "We Create Worlds", was among them.)
Also don't forget Viesceral Games. They also ruined some of my favorite game franchises off all time.

It would be a very good thing for families in any country if what Belgium does is picked by other countries.
I will never forget reading a story on fifa forum. This guy was telling about his dying son and has happiness when he was opening fifa packs. He was spending thousands of dollars monthly on this because it would brighten his sons face whenever he was opening the packs.
But I know that there are perfectly healthy people who don't make a lot and they could spend their money on something healthy, like gym but instead would spend everything on in game things.
Exploiting it is. And while adults should be able to make these decisions on their own, I think it is disgusting that the companies like EA prey on minors. Cursed be their houses.

Wow. If that's the only way to brighten your son's face is spending thousands of dollars on a game? I think that money could have been better spent and there are other ways to brighten your son's face. I mean, it was his money I guess, but that sounds more like an excuse on the father's part. If it's even true what that person was saying.

EA will have already accounted for the fine they'll get, out of their petty cash.
Its a criminal investigation, not a civil one. Belgium isn't aiming for a fine, they're aiming jail time.

Unrelated note: does anyone know what the game that did comply with the removal of the lootboxes did instead? Did they just put everything behind an in-game currency that you accumulate at known rates by playing, or did they just say 'here, have all the unlocks'?

How much is this gonna cost EA? I`m curios. I mean if they don`t care while everybody else backed down that means whatever they`re going to lose is pocket change compared to their earnings. I can already see their opening statement in the case: " Look, there are tons of addicted gamblers in Belgium and they really really need us.". "Anything else you`d like to add?", the judge says. "Well, yes, we`re greedy bastards just like any other big corporation out there, but we`re pushing a social justice agenda in all of our games (Ronaldo will be a girl with a wooden leg in FIFA2020) and thus we have the moral high ground of educating people to what they really want."

Back