EA opens beta of free-to-play Command & Conquer MMO

Jos

Staff

Electronic Arts has announced that its upcoming free-to-play game Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances is now in open beta. This latest entry in the company's Play4Free portfolio is a browser-based MMO based on the popular Command & Conquer franchise. Developed by EA Phenomic, the game is currently only playable on desktops, but will add cross-platform play with mobile devices soon as well as cloud-saved data.

According to EA, players will "harvest valuable resources, foster strategic alliances and engage in relentless battles as they strive for world domination." The game will have in-game news, status feeds and updates to keep you coming back for more, and of course, in-game purchases for faster unit upgrades and such.

Command & Conquer is one of the longest-running strategy game franchises, launched way back in 1995. The latest release marks the first time the series has seen either a free-to-play or MMO adaptation, so the classic gameplay experience has naturally changed more than just a bit in the browser-based version of the game.

You can sign up for the open beta here. If you are a longtime fan of the franchise and can't bear the casual gaming approach EA is taking for the latest installment, fret not, there might be some good news on the horizon. BioWare is resurrecting a branch of the Command & Conquer franchise with the release of Command & Conquer Generals 2 sometime in 2013. The game will be a PC exclusive based on the Frostbite 2 engine.

Permalink to story.

well the graphics look like the original .... im a big fan of C&C i have them all but not sure i will play this

Seems like tribal wars or kings age but with cc, looks like a great waiting in the doctors office game.

If I don't have to use origin then I will consider it. I love and own all of the C&C games(last one was pretty bad). Anyone play the windows 95 demo of the first? I remember downloading the version with no cut scenes just because my hard drive wasn't big enough lol!

FTP games just aren't fun to play. They should do something like blizzard did with the Diablo series, pay once play for free. The limitations put in games that allow them to be free to play interfere with gameplay too much. So much so that it doesn't matter if it's a good game.

It doesn't seem like C&C will adapt very well to an MMO, EA doesn't seem like the kind of developer to pull it off either. I just think they will not be able to keep enough elements of the previous games to keep the magic alive for gamers.

Guest said:
EA isn't a dev they're a publisher.

They're both. They acquired Westwood in 2003 and now work under the name of "EA Los Angeles" and "EA Pacific." Those are the former locations of WestWood studios. I guess that's a grey area but I consider them a dev.

I have got all c&c games, right back to the original, even the FPS they did, and the only one I still play (at LAN Party's too!) Is red alert 2 with yuri's revenge expansion. That's how I roll right there! However I find myself swaying more and more to play Company of Heros these days over red alert 2 for my RTS fix, or the original supreme commander depending on mood :)

Been playing this now for a few days and while it's entertaining in its own way, it's in no way a real MMORTS. It's more liking to a traditional social networking game where you farm up resources to engage in different activities or you just buy them. I am disappointed that EA and Phenomic didn't actually try to make something unique and more traditional to what C&C fans expected. Guess for anyone interested in a real MMORTS will have to wait for End of Nations.

Back