Earn money each time you unlock your smartphone with Locket

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Smartphones have become a way of life for millions around the globe. On any given day, it wouldn’t be uncommon for someone to unlock and check their phone dozens of times or more. Wouldn’t it be cool if you could actually earn some sort of reward for doing so (outside of being able to place a call, send a text or look something up on the web)?

That’s the idea behind a new Android app called Locket. The free app rents out the space on your lock screen and replaces whatever image you have with an advertisement. Each time you unlock your phone to check your e-mail or play a game, you earn money. Sounds easy enough, right?

The app asks you to enter some basic information such as age, gender and location in order to feed relevant ads. Each time you swipe to learn more about an ad, you earn money. Granted, you only get one penny per swipe and payouts are limited to three swipes – or three cents per hour – it can add up over time and you can even earn extra money for referring others to the service.

In theory, if you looked at three ads every hour of every day for the next year, you’d earn $262.80. A much more reasonable example would be looking at three ads for 12 hours a day each day. At that rate, you would accrue just over $130 – all of this without referrals. You will earn $1 for each person that joins and installs Locket on your behalf. In the event you have a lot of friends or family on Android devices, this could be a quick way to earn some easy cash.

Those interested can download the Locket beta app from Google Play. No word yet on when or if it will be heading to other platforms.

Permalink to story.

An app like this will for sure decrease your battery life. It will also eat into your data plan. For a little over 20 times a month, it may or may not justify the payout. Be careful if you're someone who operates at the threshold of your data subscription.

o.O

For me even at $250 dollars a year, it would not be worth the inconvenience of [looking at / dealing with] the ads.

There is something terribly wrong when you can make money (no matter how little) for only looking at ads. Ads are a way to entice the consumer to spend money, this is simply promoting ads for the hell of it.

If you do not like ads then do not fall for this ****, or your next phone will come with it hard coded only without the payout option.

o.O

For me even at $250 dollars a year, it would not be worth the inconvenience of [looking at / dealing with] the ads.

There is something terribly wrong when you can make money (no matter how little) for only looking at ads. Ads are a way to entice the consumer to spend money, this is simply promoting ads for the hell of it.

If you do not like ads then do not fall for this ****, or your next phone will come with it hard coded only without the payout option.

Yeah kind of like how they incorporated them in Windows 8, straight bs

Interesting idea, but the payout is too little.
Yeah the idea is for them to make money from you not give it to you.

It is ridiculous when advertisers pay Locket for Ad space but yet Locket first has to pay you little to nothing for the space. Why don't we just skip the middle man and make all the money for them to advertise on our space? After all they do get it back when we finally purchase their products.

It's the middle man that is always leaching both sides. And if you are extremely lucky, you won't have to deal with more than one middle man to make a single transaction.

An app like this will for sure decrease your battery life. It will also eat into your data plan. For a little over 20 times a month, it may or may not justify the payout. Be careful if you're someone who operates at the threshold of your data subscription.

Good point, but many apps have 'wi-fi' only options. They probably have one too.

Interesting idea, but the payout is too little.

Yeah, but how much is less than one second of your time worth to some ad company? Your time is worth something to you, but not much to them. That's why the payout is so small, and it's why they probably won't get many long term users of this app.

Yeah the idea is for them to make money from you not give it to you.

It is ridiculous when advertisers pay Locket for Ad space but yet Locket first has to pay you little to nothing for the space. Why don't we just skip the middle man and make all the money for them to advertise on our space? After all they do get it back when we finally purchase their products.

It's the middle man that is always leaching both sides. And if you are extremely lucky, you won't have to deal with more than one middle man to make a single transaction.

Yeah, true.

I don't get why everyone is hatin' If you looked at 1 add every 2 seconds that's 30 cents a min. times by 60 min in an hour and your getting $18/hour! Now to me that isn't bad at all, especially for someone who is in a city where everyone gets paid min. wage. Our economy sucks and if I can make some extra money by watching some adds YAY! I used to do door to door sales and it seems to me you could get 10 people an hour to sign up for this easy. So that's $10/hr for getting people to sign up!. I went to college and theres a lot of ways to make a crap ton of money off of this!

I don't get why everyone is hatin' If you looked at 1 add every 2 seconds that's 30 cents a min.
Quote from article.
Granted, you only get one penny per swipe and payouts are limited to three swipes – or three cents per hour
You are limited to 3 cents per hour, regardless how frequently you swipe the lockout screen.

I don't get why everyone is hatin' If you looked at 1 add every 2 seconds that's 30 cents a min. times by 60 min in an hour and your getting $18/hour! Now to me that isn't bad at all, especially for someone who is in a city where everyone gets paid min. wage. Our economy sucks and if I can make some extra money by watching some adds YAY! I used to do door to door sales and it seems to me you could get 10 people an hour to sign up for this easy. So that's $10/hr for getting people to sign up!. I went to college and theres a lot of ways to make a crap ton of money off of this!

Nope. $0.03/minute is the limit.

Granted, I installed it. It's actually kind of nice aesthetically.... but it's missing a LOT of important things (security, battery stats, etc)

Wow, people are so quick to judge something they have never used. I have had this app on my phone for one whole day and it has only used 67KB (I checked Onavo); I have earned 36 cents and have not clicked a single advertisement. Muscle memory doesn't even allow me to see the full ad because my thumb can swipe across half the screen in maybe 1/4 of a second, possibly in less time than that. Trust me, unless you have arthritis or nerve damage in your hand, it is highly unlikely you will read the ad, yes you will see the image, but most of the images I have looked at (only out of curiosity during the first couple uses) look like elegant photographs, they are not cheap looking app icons or moving images with low budget graphics, This app, in my opinion, appears to have been made in good taste, it does not look like garbage, and like I said, because you finger should move faster than your eyes take to interpret information there isn't any issue or inconvenience, at least in my experience. Why not get paid to do something you already do?..... unlock your phone, who cares what image is on your phone when you unlock it, nobody ever stares at a lock screen anyway. Really naysayers? at least try it before you bash the hell out of it. I hope I was able to shed some light on the ignorance within the comments in this forum. Cheers.

Back