Elon Musk pledges to fund legal bills of users fired for posting on X

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: There are plenty of cautionary stories about people posting (or liking) something controversial on social media and losing their jobs over it. According to Elon Musk, if the platform in question is X, formerly known as Twitter, the company will pay that person's legal bills.

"If you were unfairly treated by your employer due to posting or liking something on this platform, we will fund your legal bill," Musk said in a post late on Saturday.

The world's richest man added that there will be no limit as to how much financial aid X would provide someone fighting their dismissal in court. He also said that in addition to a lawsuit, X will be "extremely loud" and go after the boards of directors of the companies.

It'll certainly be interesting to see just how closely Musk sticks to this promise and if there will be any exceptions. X will likely maintain that if something's allowed to be posted as per the site's rules, the company will defend the creator and those who like it.

Before he bought the company, Musk had long complained about Twitter not adhering to the principles of free speech. Since taking over, he's allowed many previously banned users to return, slackened the moderation policies, and fired much of the content moderation team.

X Corp. recently sued an anti-hate group that said the platform was filled with racist, homophobic, neo-Nazi, antisemitic, or conspiracy content which X wasn't removing despite being flagged. X claimed that the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) has been illegally scraping its servers and cherry-picking the most hateful posts it can find as part of "a scare campaign to drive away advertisers." It also accused the CCDH of being funded by Twitter competitors or foreign governments with an ulterior agenda.

X also alleged that the CCDH targets free-speech organizations and attempts to deplatform users whose views do not align with its own ideology.

Elsewhere, Musk said that his will-they-or-won't-they fight with fellow billionaire Mark Zuckerberg is going ahead and will be livestreamed on X. Musk added that all proceeds from the fight will go to veterans' charities.

Musk's confirmation is somewhat of a surprise given that it was only last week when Zuckerberg told employees at a company town hall meeting that he's "not sure if it's [the fight] going to come together."

One would imagine that it would be Musk trying to avoid the fight, given that Zuckerberg was recently promoted to blue belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and has been training in the martial art and MMA since the Covid lockdowns; he now trains up to three to four times per week.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, Trump made that pledge too ... but it never happened and neither will this one ....
Trump made no such pledge. In a rally, he once stated, "If you see someone throwing a tomato, knock the crap out of him. I'll pay the legal fee." In its usual Leftwing lying fashion, the media transmogrified that into a promise to pay anyone's bills, for any and all his supporters acts.

At this time and with our current cultural problems. nobody should use their real name or photo on social platforms. It is not worth it. We have people with all types of behavioral problems, from those who will harass you to those who would try to find you to cause harm.
But behind all of this, it seems like a mental disease epidemic.
Millions of people who are very sick, mentally, spreading unhappiness around
using social platforms and slowly destroying their own lives.

Trump made no such pledge. In a rally, he once stated, "If you see someone throwing a tomato, knock the crap out of him. I'll pay the legal fee." In its usual Leftwing lying fashion, the media transmogrified that into a promise to pay anyone's bills, for any and all his supporters acts.
check out the Patriot Legal Defense Fund Inc
Sounds like another grift to me - like Build the wall fund -and $56 million so far from his marks to pay his legal bills
Promised to pick up the tab at a restaurant in Florida - everyone cheered - as he left them to pay.

Good at having charities he sets up and steals from.

Scammer from the first time I saw him on The Apprentice - we are the best company in the world at Trump Inc - only employ the best - 101 scammers BS .
Reminds of those Nigerian scams - make it so obvious only the *****s response - so high sucker/work percentage

Time to buy some Trump Bux - they will be worth huge amounts when he wins

check out the Patriot Legal Defense Fund Inc - sounds like another grift to me.
Oops! The Patriot Legal Defense Fund wasn't founded or run by Trump. And it's not paying his legal fees, but those of others. So much for that bit of misinformation.

like Build the wall fund -and $56 million so far from his marks to pay his legal bills...
The Build The Wall Fund allotted 93% of donations for its stated charitable goal, an amount above average for most charities, and far above the 25% of the Clinton Foundation, a figure so low that organization like Charity Navigator refuse to even consider it a charity.

As for Trump's legal expenses, given their political nature (Alvin Bragg ran on a platform barely more nuanced than "Get Trump, no matter what") these are well-deserved. From the Hillary-Clinton's "Russia-Gate" scheme (the FBI's own Obama-appointed Inspector-General found that they lied to FISA judges, fabricated evidence, and violated their own investigator protocols no less than 54 times in this investigation) to a investigation that Trump "defrauded New York State" by listing a settlement for a lawsuit as a legal expense ... despite the fact that, no matter what he listed it is, it wouldn't have changed his taxes by one penny.

My favorite is the "defamation" case by a far-Left lunatic who claimed -- though she cannot remember the month or even the year it happened -- that she met Trump in a department store, then invited him into a dressing room to "try on lingerie over his business suit". Once inside, she claims, he raped her. She never mentioned it to even her closest friends for thirty straight years -- then "found the courage" to sell the story to an anti-Trump publication, and give dozens of media interviews. When Anderson Cooper interviewed her, she famously said she "found rape sexy", a remark that left even him momentarily speechless.

You believe tales like this? I sincerely hope you understand New Zealand politics better than the US's.

They just couldn’t resist the Musk bashing in the last paragraph. Seriously editors, you’re not even thinly veiled!

Important context that is missing from the article entirely--what (and who) prompted this: https://frontstretch.com/2023/08/05/dropping-the-hammer-noah-gragsons-big-mistake/

Elon Musk decided to do this because a NASCAR racer got banned from the league for LIKING an Instagram reel. It was certainly a weird meme and I would never like it myself, but still to be fired for something so insignificant that was done on social media?!

They just couldn’t resist the Musk bashing in the last paragraph. Seriously editors, you’re not even thinly veiled!
Lol I took as a slant towards Zuckerberg, since Musk is fine with it and you'd think Zuck would be more willing given that the consensus seems to be that he's favored to win. Now we hear that Elon said he may need surgery but he still plans to fight anyways afterwards if so:

Oh man, I can't wait to see Musk get forced to pay for someone making a comment that goes against TOS. Getting fired for liking a comment from someone that said something salacious like racism. Thats going to be a tall order.

Oh man, I can't wait to see Musk get forced to pay for someone making a comment that goes against TOS. Getting fired for liking a comment from someone that said something salacious like racism. Thats going to be a tall order.
I'm not quite sure I grasp your intended meaning here (tortured grammar aside, the word 'salacious' doesn't mean what you think it means), so I'll ask a simple question. Do you believe in free speech, and diversity of thought and opinion?

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure I grasp your intended meaning here (tortured grammar aside, the word 'salacious' doesn't mean what you think it means), so I'll ask a simple question. Do you believe in free speech, and diversity of thought and opinion?
You are right I did not mean salacious as that's sexual. I meant bigoted. Yes I believe in free speech. Tell me Emdymio? Why haven't the big advertisers returned? Because bigots are doing bigoted things that major advertisers don't want their ad's running next too. Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences.
But again, sorry for using the wrong word. I'm old. I had a brain fart.

Back