Elon Musk says second-gen Tesla Roadster might not ship until 2023

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Elon Musk in a series of tweets revealed that the next-gen Tesla Roadster might not ship until 2023. The car was expected to start shipping in 2020, but of course that didn’t happen. It is Tesla we’re talking about, after all, a company that is notorious for missing launch windows. In fairness, 2020 was also the year of the pandemic, and the effects as it relates to the global supply chain shortage are still lingering (and could be around for another couple of years).

Musk, if you recall, revealed the second generation Roadster way back in 2017 alongside its electric semi truck. Modeled after Tesla’s very first car (which itself was based on a Lotus Elise), the new Roadster ups the ante across the board.

The $200,000 sports car aims to be the quickest production car in the world, with a claimed 0-60 speed of just 1.9 seconds. It’ll also be able to hit 100 mph from a stop in just 4.2 seconds with a top speed of over 250 mph (assuming it isn’t software-limited by Tesla). If Tesla can deliver on those performance numbers, and at that price point, supercar manufacturers are going to have a lot of worried customers on their hands.

When asked for an update on the new Roadster on Twitter, Musk mentioned the nightmare that 2021 has been thus far.

Assuming there is no “mega drama” next year, however, he said the new Roadster should ship in 2023. And it might even have an option for rocket boosters.

Image credit Steve Jurvetson

Permalink to story.

I think rather pricey for those quick trips to the 7/11 for a gallon of milk. Looking forward to a Toyota or Mazda 2 seater with half of the performance and one eighth of the cost. Competitive capitalism at its very best.

I think rather pricey for those quick trips to the 7/11 for a gallon of milk. Looking forward to a Toyota or Mazda 2 seater with half of the performance and one eighth of the cost. Competitive capitalism at its very best.
1/8 from 200k is 25k so you are looking at Toyota for 25k that will have half the performance of the best and fastest car in the history? LOL

I would rather buy a Kia Stinger - It's a fraction of the price at around £45k. I think it's about time some of these all electric models start coming down in price.

Kia at $42k comes close to it...
Can you even imagine how Car & Driver must have felt picking a Ford as EV of the year? Must have killed them. :eek:

It's also considered a favorite for overall Motor Trend car of the year.

EDIT - I just read that the Mach-E will now not be considered for MT car of the year because they are keeping smokers and EVs separate. Just like with car and truck of the year.

Last edited:
Can you even imagine how Car & Driver must have felt picking a Ford as EV of the year? Must have killed them. :eek:
It probably felt like a stake through the heart to Elon Musk. (y) (Y):laughing:

I mean, given that Musk is going to "save the world with electric cars", (at $200,000 a pop & 2 years late at that),it must have been truly devastating.

Unless you drive this car in a track every day, every week or every month; you always ran out of road in city driving...! You could always take your chance and drive it way above speed limit on freeways and autobahns at the expense of a speeding ticket...! So, paying $200K for this car just to drive at speed limit 99% of times is pretty preposterous...!

Last edited:
Back