Elon Musk says Tesla is working on bringing Steam games to its vehicles

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Imagine being able to play some of your Steam library while sitting inside a Tesla electric vehicle via its RDNA 2-powered infotainment system. According to a recent tweet from CEO Elon Musk, that's the long-term goal the company is aiming for.

Tesla previously said its redesigned infotainment system in the Model S and Model X delivers 10 TFLOPs of power and is "on-par with today's newest consoles." VideoCardz notes that it uses a Navi 23 GPU that's rumored to sport 28 compute units clocked up to 2.8 GHz, and a teardown confirmed it also has a quad-core Ryzen Embedded CPU, likely a Zen+ model.

The games on the new infotainment system should look good on its 17-inch, 2200×1300 display. Previous press images suggested The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 would be available to owners. In response to when the latter title would be coming to the new Model S/X, Musk tweeted: "We're working through the general case of making Steam games work on a Tesla vs specific titles. Former is obviously where we should be long-term."

The SpaceX boss, who recently got in trouble for comparing Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau to Adolf Hitler, also seemingly confirmed Cyberpunk 2077 would be coming to Teslas, adding that the system has more storage to cope with larger games.

Tesla has been expanding its Tesla Arcade game platform and partnering with developers in the hope of eventually selling game bundles to vehicle owners; being able to access Steam could mean playing (some) games you already own.

Musk previously said that "entertainment will be crucial when the automobile drives itself."

In December, Tesla confirmed it would disable its Passenger Play feature, preventing video games from being played on the center console while an EV is in motion. The announcement came amid a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigation into the feature.

Permalink to story.

They keep saying equivalent to modern consoles, Firstly the CPU is already weaker. and a pound to a Penny they are comparing it to the Series S if anything.

It just seems like you adding another cost to a car which is already expensive and adding to E-waste

So how exactly is playing steam games in car useful at all? Maybe those with kids may find it somewhat useful to appease them while on the road but still seems like another case of unnecessary progress

So how exactly is playing steam games in car useful at all? Maybe those with kids may find it somewhat useful to appease them while on the road but still seems like another case of unnecessary progress
I'm guessing they might make it available to some screens for the backseat.

Imagine being able to play some of your Steam library while sitting inside a Tesla electric vehicle

In 5 days or so, the first people who pre-ordered the steam deck will be able to do just that. In fact just getting the super expensive current hand held windows based consoles means you can already do that?

What because it's on the screen of the car? Do Teslas have video inputs? Because that'd be all that's needed.

Seriously vapid stuff: I know you can put monitor screens on cars for at least 20 years in fact even 20 years ago you could just watch dvd movies on your dvd car stereo on those shitty 7" screens but you could do it.

What is the big deal about putting a 300 usd APU rig on a 100k car?

Tech bros with kids never heard of the Nintendo Switch. Bear in mind this is the same people that buy 200,000 USD jpegs of monkeys.

Being able to play steam games in a Tesla is specifically being done to help deal with the charging times you’ll be waiting while you sit still at superchargers.

Ok fine.

But why isn’t Tesla offering headrest TV displays for the rear passengers?

Jeep WAGONEER is offering that and Amazon Fire TV for the front passenger and the rear.

"Musk" should be listed in the encyclopedia as the definition for stupid. He can't build a dependable car that lives up to ALL it's promises so he tries to compromise by filling them with expensive gadgets that have little to nothing to do with the operation of it's vehicles. I think if NITSA kept him under the same scrutiny as NASA does his rockets we would all be better off ..... and safer too!!!

For a minute there I thought we were going to go a whole day without another article about Elon. Sadly I was wrong. I wish TechSpot would go back to technical articles and not spend half the time talking about Trump, Musk, Bezos and all the other unhinged wealth/power-obsessed crazies.

Exynos 2200 and now this?
AMD needs to overhaul its GPU division or get out entirely. AMD bought ATi for Fusion and in 2022 their iGPU isn't amazing against Intel to be honest. And now this?

AMD has no competition in these spaces (auto, console, etc) and it shows that there is little incentive or ability to do better. AMD keeps launching and releasing all these products in different markets and they go nowhere.

It doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know man. even simply watching video on a quiet stable airplane gave me motion sickness. playing vidya on otherwise bumpy road? yeah, no. a simple entertainment system for playing music and basic road or traffic information would be enough for me.

Dream on Elon... the NTSB WILL NEVER APPROVE of this. The government issued a mandate 2 years ago that all cars 2020 models and up had to remove some of their distracting stuff from the LCD Screens. I know this because my 2020 Toyota highlander will not display album art on my dashboard if the car is moving (absolutely STUPID) , so I removed it completely from showing on my screen.

Back