Elon Musk: Tesla will unveil its electric semi truck this September, pickup and convertible...

midian182

Staff member

Tesla boss Elon Musk has announced that his company will finally reveal its first electric tractor-trailer truck this September. He said the vehicle is “seriously next level” and noted that the team behind it had “done an amazing job.”

Back in July 2016, Musk revealed the second part of Tesla’s “Top Secret Masterplan” - the first part, announced in August 2006, was the mass production of the Tesla S and Tesla 3. In addition to plans for a “solar-roof-with-battery-product” and the upgrading of Tesla’s semi-autonomous Autopilot into a completely self-driving system, Musk said he wanted to expand the company’s line of vehicles.

The Tesla semi will reduce the cost of cargo transportation, as well as increase driver safety, according to Musk. In its 2016 Q2 earnings report, he said the Tesla Semi and a Model X-based Tesla minibus would be unveiled in 2017, part of the company’s overall goal to “expand to cover the major forms of terrestrial transport.”

There was also mention of a Tesla pickup truck model last year. It’s now been confirmed by the CEO that this will be shown off in 18 to 24 months. While answering questions from other Twitter users, Musk revealed that the next Tesla Roadster sports car would be a convertible.

A number of companies are pouring resources into electric truck development. The Nikola Motor Company unveiled its gas/electric powered big rig last year, which can generate 2,000 horsepower and 3,700 foot-pounds of torque with an estimated range of 1,200 miles. A few months later, Mercedes-Benz showed off the Urban eTruck, which can carry loads of up to 29 tons. Over in Sweden, meanwhile, there are electric highways that power trucks using overhead lines.

Permalink to story.

That escalated quickly - you know, there is a trend in the aerospace industry to replace the actuators (hydraulic in nature) with electrical ones. Maybe future aircrafts will be fully electric

On the other hand, please stop bullshiting people about electric highways in Sweden - it is a very short portion of the road, mostly a proof of concept - certainly no highway.

Last edited:
With the remarkable mileage they are predicting with these trucks, you would certainly think they could scale it down to where an automobile could get half that, or 600 miles. THAT alone would create a real boom in the market place. Of course, with his current price points he's still missing a tremendous market, particularly with the average mid-sized car going in the low to mid 20's range.

Why do liberals hate Tesla and there electric cars? I am not referring to this article but most I read on these "tech news sites". Tesla is always getting bashed. I don't get it. They are saving the world from oil and gas.

Why do liberals hate Tesla and there electric cars? I am not referring to this article but most I read on these "tech news sites". Tesla is always getting bashed. I don't get it. They are saving the world from oil and gas.

Tesla is a successful big business that is only going to grow, and large profit goes against their ideology.

With the remarkable mileage they are predicting with these trucks, you would certainly think they could scale it down to where an automobile could get half that, or 600 miles. THAT alone would create a real boom in the market place. Of course, with his current price points he's still missing a tremendous market, particularly with the average mid-sized car going in the low to mid 20's range.
This mostly has to do with the economics of scale. Prices will come down as they can produce more batteries and the gigafactory is finished. There is also talk of them building a second gigafactory. They are currently releasing the model 3 for $35,000 with a 215 mile range.

They aren't exactly missing the market, they are unable to produce a vehicle at that price with a suitable range. I'm currently a delivery driver and at the very most I drive around 150miles a day, 200 miles on a charge would be plenty for me and I'd be saving $100 a week in gas.

I'm not sure I understand having an estimated range of 1,200 miles. In the US, I believe commercial drivers are limited to driving a maximum of 11 hours per day. If a driver could average 75 MPH over that 11 hour day, that would equal a distance of 825 miles. So, wouldn't a truck capable of almost 50% greater range just be carrying more weight in batteries and cost more than is necessary, or usable??? Of course, this would be assuming that each commercial driver on a long-distance haul would be able to fully recharge overnight.

I'm not sure I understand having an estimated range of 1,200 miles. In the US, I believe commercial drivers are limited to driving a maximum of 11 hours per day. If a driver could average 75 MPH over that 11 hour day, that would equal a distance of 825 miles. So, wouldn't a truck capable of almost 50% greater range just be carrying more weight in batteries and cost more than is necessary, or usable??? Of course, this would be assuming that each commercial driver on a long-distance haul would be able to fully recharge overnight.
Your assuming that truck drivers follow that law. Also you want an overage because you may have to stop (if your being legal) where you can't "fill up"

Depends - they might be like some companies whose buses here travelling accros Europe. It takes about 4 days by bus from Portugal to the Eastern point of Europe for instance - that is a non-stop trip. So they take 3 drivers on each bus, each one for 8 hours and they drive in shifts. Sometimes, the new driver joins along during some of the stops on the journes.

Back