Elon Musk to demonstrate a working Neuralink device during live webcast

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Current methods of communicating with or via technology, like typing on a smartphone, are rather slow at around 10 bits per second. Computers, on the other hand, can exchange more than a trillion bits of data per second. Musk believes that if we are to remain a dominant race, we must address this communications bottleneck.

Serial entrepreneur Elon Musk has confirmed plans to share more information regarding his neurotechnology company Neuralink Corporation on Friday.

Founded in the summer of 2016, Neuralink is actively developing implantable brain-machine interfaces (BMIs) that will greatly expedite the flow of information between computers and our brains.

On Friday at 3 p.m. Pacific, Neuralink will air a live webcast to update the public on its progress. According to Musk, the show will feature a working Neuralink device. We still don’t yet know exactly what to expect but the future certainly looks promising.

Back in February, Musk said the potential is truly transformational for restoring brain and motor functions.

Indeed, that appears to be the primary objective of the project, to help those with disabilities restore lost function. Imagine being paralyzed for years and suddenly being able to control a computer with your mind, or having struggled with addiction or depression, only to have Neuralink retrain the part of the brain responsible for causing the issues and curing you.

Masthead credit: agsandrew

Permalink to story.

“ We still don’t yet know exactly what to expect but the future certainly looks promising.”

Really?!? “Certainly”?!?! Nothing Musk says or does can ever be “certain”.... while this may or may not work, I’d be VERY hesitant to believe in this until a working model is in the public’s hands.

“ We still don’t yet know exactly what to expect but the future certainly looks promising.”

Really?!? “Certainly”?!?! Nothing Musk says or does can ever be “certain”.... while this may or may not work, I’d be VERY hesitant to believe in this until a working model is in the public’s hands.
Yea, this guy didn't change the auto industry all by himself. He also didn't send rockets to space and make them fly back and land to be reuseable...
You sounds like you don't like Elon, I get that some people hate successful people, but you can't ignore the guy's enormous contribution to technology.

Yea, this guy didn't change the auto industry all by himself. He also didn't send rockets to space and make them fly back and land to be reuseable...
You sounds like you don't like Elon, I get that some people hate successful people, but you can't ignore the guy's enormous contribution to technology.
Elon has four patents in his name (yes, including the ones he "released" from Tesla):
- D724,031; a patent for Tesla's charging port design
- 8,579,635; another patent for the shape of Tesla's charging port
- D683,268; the ornament design for Teslas
- D678,154; another patent for the shape of Tesla's orament

Meanwhile, a search for patent attributed to SpaceX turns up 7 results, and Tesla turns up 286

He isn't some 'super genius' engineer. He is a businessman who hires engineers to build systems for him. All he does is provide the money, and the hype.

I suspect the ACLU and a whole host of private attorney's are watching this development VERY closely to look for an edge to file suite for multiple violations of privacy rights. I like my technology but I think this one needs to be addressed the same as human cloning and strictly outlawed across the board. We have seen far too many practical examples of governments and private companies violating the law despite their countless promises not to.

I suspect the ACLU and a whole host of private attorney's are watching this development VERY closely to look for an edge to file suite for multiple violations of privacy rights. I like my technology but I think this one needs to be addressed the same as human cloning and strictly outlawed across the board. We have seen far too many practical examples of governments and private companies violating the law despite their countless promises not to.

Why? this isn't going to be something mandatory that will be implanted in children at birth.

It will be an expensive toy for those that can afford it.

There are more than 2,000 Billionaires in the world.

How many of them are involved in Neural implants, reusable space rockets, satellite constellations, open source AI, self driving cars and so on? These are all very risky ventures and they are all aimed at progressing humanity.

Rest of the 2000+ billionaires are just busy taking over land/properties, exploiting consumers and staff, selling medicine for huge markups, selling dangerous foods extremely high on sugar, fat by lobbying against health reforms etc but since they don't anything new they don't make news. Since they don't make news we don't hate them.

Not to say Musk isn't wrong about tons of things. He is and many times he is just plain annoying. But that doesn't mean his endeavors to do good don't deserve parise.

I just do not get Musk. He says that he is against AI, yet he is willing to wire a computer directly to his brain. I have to wonder if this could take over a human mind somehow - that would concern me greatly, and it might be misused by someone or something with AI and perhaps the AI would be able to control the human. IMO, that would be something to be very concerned about.

For me, I really do not want to be augmented by wiring a computer directly to my brain.

I get that it might help the disabled. However, all misused devices were likely constructed with the best of intentions. There's that old adage, "The road to hell is paved with good intention."

Not to say Musk isn't wrong about tons of things. He is and many times he is just plain annoying. But that doesn't mean his endeavors to do good don't deserve parise.
When his endeavours have prooven themselves through years of actual use in real life situations, IMO, then and only then will he deserve the praise.

So NASA's approval and endorsement for Space X means nothing?

The first launch of american asstronauts from inside america in almost 10 years and not having to rely on Russia doesn't deserve praise?
It's an achievement, but it still does not mean the technology is proven. Look at the difficulties SpaceX is having with Starship. There have been several accidents with that so far. https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-explosion-explained-elon-musk/
Besides, IMO, Musk seems always to be looking for publicity more than anything else.

Which is to be expected since no one has ever built a Starship on earth?

Nobody is reusing 1960's technology anymore.

Were you really expecting no issues?
Are you expecting perfection? it is not there yet.
The only reason SpaceX is in with NASA is because of NASA's push to make space available to private enterprise.
And "Starship" is hardly a "Starship" per se, just like "Autopilot" is hardly "Autopilot" in Teslas.
Just because no one is using 1950's technology does not mean there cannot be problems.
But feel free to put Musk on a pedestal if you like. When someone is killed, he will no longer be on that pedestal. NASA's rubber stamp is not a statement of the technology being error free.

Last edited:
Just because no one is using 1950's technology does not mean there cannot be problems.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

because it confirms what I just said.

Thank you editing the post now with his one below.

Are you expecting perfection? it is not there yet.
The only reason SpaceX is in with NASA is because of NASA's push to make space available to private enterprise.
And "Starship" is hardly a "Starship" per se, just like "Autopilot" is hardly "Autopilot" in Teslas.
But feel free to put Musk on a pedestal if you like. When someone is killed, he will no longer be on that pedestal. NASA's rubber stamp is not a statement of the technology being error free.

No where ever did I say to put Musk on a pedestal that is your personal hate for the guy coming out.

And this to me is the underlying truth here you are a musk hater.

And NASA's push to make space available to private enterprise has more customers than just Space X however none of them are performing to Space X's current level.

And the point of me bringing NASA into the conversion was they are multi billion dollar Space agency with a what 60 year history? Their opinion of Space X trumps yours!

Last edited:
It was a long dream of oligarchs to have programmable slave mass who could never break loyalty to slave masters. Don't underestimate oligarchs. Nobody will ever wake up from the Matrix.

It was a long dream of oligarchs to have programmable slave mass who could never break loyalty to slave masters. Don't underestimate oligarchs. Nobody will ever wake up from the Matrix.

lol some of you watch way too many movies.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated, just not anytime soon. This will help many debilitated people that have no other plausible treatment.

Posting anything about Elon Musk is like posting a "please wear masks" on Facebook.

"I hate everything about this regardless of what it is because it has Musk involved!!!"

If this can make paralyzed people able to communicate and move again it will be amazing!

Elon has four patents in his name (yes, including the ones he "released" from Tesla):

Meanwhile, a search for patent attributed to SpaceX turns up 7 results, and Tesla turns up 286

He isn't some 'super genius' engineer. He is a businessman who hires engineers to build systems for him. All he does is provide the money, and the hype.
You're right, he's not a "super genius" engineer. But super genius engineers can't accomplish whatever they want, whereas Elon Musk is an engineer and entrepreneur who is able to. He doesn't just provide money and hype lol, he runs businesses in a directed way to enable real progress. His competitors aren't achieving the same progress that he is, that's for sure. I'm talking about past results that are measured instead of speculation (the so-called "hype" being his strong point in your opinion).

Look at Nissan, GM, and BMW. All of these were early entrants into the EV market but they were all outdone by Tesla in terms of vehicles sold. Meanwhile in the rocket industry, Elon Musk has been able to make launching/landing the same rocket multiple times a common occurrence and no one else has been as successful. Blue Origin may have landed a rocket before SpaceX, and Nissan and GM may have started delivering EVs before Tesla, but each of these competitors have been the real source of the hype.
It's an achievement, but it still does not mean the technology is proven. Look at the difficulties SpaceX is having with Starship. There have been several accidents with that so far. https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-explosion-explained-elon-musk/
Besides, IMO, Musk seems always to be looking for publicity more than anything else.
You refer to one thing's success (Falcon 9) and then say it's unproven by pointing to a rocket under development. Of course Starship is unproven, it's still being prototyped and tested.

Focusing on the Falcon 9, a majority of its launches in the last three years have been with reused vehicles. It's had over 60 subsequent successful launches with the last failure in 2016. There have been only 3 landing failures in this time with lessons learned each time, so while it's not >99% successful yet, it's >90% successful. This is proven technology.

Focusing on the Falcon 9, a majority of its launches in the last three years have been with reused vehicles. It's had over 60 subsequent successful launches with the last failure in 2016. There have been only 3 landing failures in this time with lessons learned each time, so while it's not >99% successful yet, it's >90% successful. This is proven technology.
90% is NOT proven technology.... when it’s above 99%, THEN it might be.... if I were to try and sell you a car that will deliver you to your place of work 90% of the time, you’d laugh me out of the building...

See this is not 19th/20th century anymore. If you want to do big things, you do it as a company combining individuals to create great things. Why? Funding. Rome was not built by one man and done in a year.

Look at Google. It grew beyond them. It's about having a vision and utilising the tools (ie engineers) to achieve it. None of those individual engineers could achieve great things by themselves, because they would require other engineers in different divisions to contribute to a greater goal.

So yeah big ups' Elon.

90% is NOT proven technology.... when it’s above 99%, THEN it might be.... if I were to try and sell you a car that will deliver you to your place of work 90% of the time, you’d laugh me out of the building...

to all of that you have that to reply? Jesus.

Of course if it was intended to land with payload, that would be true. But the purpose of landing for the Falcon 9 is so the rocket can be reused, leading to a significant cost decrease per launch. The cost to build the rocket gets divided out among all of the launches it can sustain. This was always the limitation to space flight, and SpaceX has been dramatically changing that. It’s only with the future Starship product that the rocket is going to be designed with maximum reusability like a car is.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

because it confirms what I just said.

Thank you editing the post now with his one below.

No where ever did I say to put Musk on a pedestal that is your personal hate for the guy coming out.

And this to me is the underlying truth here you are a musk hater.
I just do not fall head over heels for everything Musk releases.
There is a large potential for danger with this and any technology. It takes years, sometimes, to prove a technology and early successes do not portend reliability and future successes by any means.

And NASA's push to make space available to private enterprise has more customers than just Space X however none of them are performing to Space X's current level.
Bullcrap https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-selects-blue-origin-dynetics-spacex-for-artemis-human-landers Unless NASA's endorsement means nothing for these other companies, and then it must mean nothing for SpaceX, either.

And the point of me bringing NASA into the conversion was they are multi billion dollar Space agency with a what 60 year history? Their opinion of Space X trumps yours!
So?

Back