eMachine 566i2 freezes at bootup

I recently aquired an eMachine 566i2 with Windows ME. I upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition. The computer was running very slowly. I ran anti-malware and various utility programs, but there was no change. I did an analysis of the hard drive and discovered that my pagefile was huge. I did some research to determine what to do about this and one suggestion was to put the pagefile on a different drive. I installed a second hard drive as a slave. Now my computer stalls after the eMachines splash screen. The screen is black with white flashing curser. I checked bios to see if the slave was recognized correctly. It was. I uninstalled the slave thinking this would resolve the problem. It did not. I tried to boot to safe mode but the f8 key does nothing. I tried to boot from the Windows XP cd so I could repair or reinstall Windows but the computer does not boot from the cd either. I allso unplugged the computer and held down the power key for a few seconds but this didn't help. Do you have any suggestions?

The motherboard has probably failed. You might try another power supply first though. This WindowsMe eMachines is probably more than 6 years old with a Bestec power supply, right?

ilssan power supply

It is definitely over six years old. It has an ilssan power supply model lsp l20sl. I do have another motherboard but I don't know what brand it is. Can I use any mother board or if not how do I know if the motherboard I have will with in this computer? The motherboard that is currently in the computer is a Trigem Cognac motherboard.

It's probably a bad motherboard. You can use another motherboard as long as it fits and you may have to remove the pins from the front panel connector to match the front panel connections of the other replacement motherboard and then reinstall XP fresh

Back