emachine crashed, installed new HD, can't load XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkieBabe

I have an older emachine...W2060. It crashed and when I tried to recover, it said the hard drive was bad. I replaced the HD and upgraded to 512 RAM. I am trying to use the disk that came with my system to recovery or install windows XP. I keep getting errors. ANY SUGGESTIONS??
I formatted my HD, partitioned it x1 fat???,

Also I have a floppy, CD, and a DVDr on this computer and it doesn't seem to be able to recognize the CD drive except as R: then it has errors.

I can boot from the CD (boot a "fix it yourself" CD) but I cannot boot from my recovery disk.

Damsel in Distress!!!

If your hard drive has failed and been replaced then you will need a full XP disc and not a manufacturers restore disc as a restore disc will look for setup files on the HD and since this has been replaced they are not there.

Also make sure the boot sequence is correct in the BIOS set it to boot from CD first.

I would try fleabay for an XP disc. :)

First of all, are your jumpers set correctly?

You should have 2 IDE cables. Connect your new hard drive to the motherboard directly to your motherboard to the connection IDE_0 using one of the IDE cable. On the back of your Hard drive make sure the jumper is set to Master.

Conect both Optoical drives to your motherboard using the other IDE cable to the IDE_1 connection on your motherboard. This time one of the optical drives jumpers should be set as Master and another as Slave.

Check in the BIOS if you can see all Drives. If you can then you have connected your drives correctly.

Secondly, in the BIOS check the bot sequence of your drives. Make sure it boots into one of your optical drives before your Hard drives. Save Changes and exit. then Pop in your Cds with the XP operating CD on it.

Finally start installing and at one point it will ask you to format. When it does do a full NTFS format.

dazzer9535 said:
Also make sure the boot sequence is correct in the BIOS set it to boot from CD first.

I would try fleabay for an XP disc. :)
why do you have to boot from cd, when you can just navigate to the i386 folder on the cd and start xp install by winnt.exe command?
if you have a hard time with xp install,
get a win98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start the pc with win98 boot disk & cdrom support.
navigate to i386 folder, start xp install by this command: winnt.exe
if you contact the manufacturer, they should be able to give you a full xp cd for a nominal fee (usually $15-20). instead of going to fleabay. there's is a lot of pirated crap on ebay and fleabay. stay away from whatever.ebay.
you can also get a full OEM xp with sp2 from softwareoutlet.com

i have another stupid question.... if my computer crashes due to a virus, can you replace the hard drive and RAM to get rid of the virus? Or where and what do viruses reside, live, go? whatever?

Now, I've got the jumpers set, cables are right, got it to do the NTFS thing. Now i get a black screen when I boot up.

Also, I used the 98 disk as was suggested. I can get the c prompt, but when i do a dir on it , it says "invalid media type reading drive c"............. what now?????

(BTW.... THanks, we are making progress!!!)

ok, currently..... I reboot and it starts loading drivers.... gets hung on:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\MUP.sys

What next???

ok, I got down to where it tells me to type in the code to make directory.... it won't read the c drive. ... keeps telling me ... Invalid media type reading drive c..........abort, retry, fail.........

Is the CD bootable? Maybe the CD isnt clean. Since it isnt a normal XP CD then maybe that is the reason why it isnt working. Lets see if someone has a solution to offer.

Try cleaning the CD and try again.

Thanks for your input. It has help me some. I have resovled a few issues....still working on it, so maybe (keep your fingers crossed!)!!!
I did find that after partioning with fdisk, that by doing a "format c:", now my c drive is readable!

While in fdisk dont forget to set it as an active partition. Also that it is primary also.

Then continue to follow the instructions to the thread link I posted.

i have a 60 gig HD and it says there is not enough room to copy all the files to the i386 dir. what have I done now?

Go back and repeat the process as stated in the linked thread again. This time make sure you make the partition the whole size of the drive and not different partititons.

Make it primary and set it as active. That should do it.

EDIT:
Then obviously continue following the instructions.

alidabiri said:
why do you have to boot from cd, when you can just navigate to the i386 folder on the cd and start xp install by winnt.exe command?
if you have a hard time with xp install,
get a win98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start the pc with win98 boot disk & cdrom support.
navigate to i386 folder, start xp install by this command: winnt.exe
if you contact the manufacturer, they should be able to give you a full xp cd for a nominal fee (usually $15-20). instead of going to fleabay. there's is a lot of pirated crap on ebay and fleabay. stay away from whatever.ebay.
you can also get a full OEM xp with sp2 from softwareoutlet.com

Because booting from CD is the easiest way and you dont have to do all of the above :) and also I bought a XP Pro disc from abay/fleabay and never a problem it worked a treat so I dont see why your saying stay clear maybe you had a bad experience. :(

I'm back up and running!

Thanks to all who contributed! I'm back up and running.

This is what I had to do:

1. I had to start over.... Low level format
2. Use the Win 98 to boot... then fdisk
3. Formatted c:
4. Used a new full copy of XP to load.
5. Got driver errors, so I used my original system disk to get the drivers.
6. Play! Play! Play! YEAH!!

Again, thanks to all!

Maybe this will help someone else too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back