Emachine won't start

when i press power only the cooling fan starts. opened it up, no lights on. can it be fixed or is it expensive junk? e machines w5243

i don't want to shotgun and keep buying parts. i also noticed when i plug tower back in, the sockets shoot out sparks. wall or surge protector. i don't know about pc's but would like to learn how to fix it myself.

i don't want to shotgun and keep buying parts. i also noticed when i plug tower back in, the sockets shoot out sparks. wall or surge protector. i don't know about pc's but would like to learn how to fix it myself.

Well. replacing the PSU isn't exactly what I'd call, "shotgunning".

And shooting sparks when you plug it in, isn't normal.On the other hand, a bad enough short would trip a breaker. There is however, a slight amount of draw with the PSU switch on the back of the case in the on position. This might make a tiny arc when plugged in.

The fans running aren't really an indicator of a PSU being good, all it indicates is that there is 12 volts present. Other voltages required can be absent.

So, take this for what it's worth, in an Emachine, it's either the PSU >> OR << the motherboard, or the PSU >> AND << the motherboard..

Back