Employees return to Tesla following Elon Musk's demands, find there are not enough desks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: Elon Musk might have been successful in demanding Tesla employees work at least 40 hours per week in the office or find another job, but it seems the EV maker wasn't prepared for so many workers rushing back to the office in Fremont, California—and that's caused unforeseen problems.

Musk sent emails to SpaceX and Tesla executives earlier this month stating that employees must spend a minimum of 40 hours in the office per week or quit. They must also work in a main company office and not a remote pseudo location.

The CEO also said that he would spend six days a week in the Fremont factory and office, "seven if physically possible," adding that "anything I ask others to do, I do myself even more."

But according to an investigation by The Information, the sudden influx of workers has led to issues. Many of these employees have been working from home since the start of the pandemic, but the number of Tesla staff has doubled since the pre-pandemic era, and the company wasn't ready for everyone returning at once.

As you might expect, some of the biggest problems were a lack of desks, inadequate seating, and not enough parking spaces. There have also been complaints about weak Wi-Fi connections.

Musk faced plenty of criticism over his 40-hours-per-week in-office demands. Scott Farquhar, the CEO and co-maker of Atlassian, said it felt like something from the 1950s. The world's richest man has softened his stance slightly since then, noting that "exceptional" employees might be allowed to keep working from home.

In addition to its mandate that workers return to the office, Tesla is also laying off a portion of its workforce, a move that has seen some employees sue the company over claims it has violated federal laws.

Permalink to story.

Seems like when so many of those stay-at-homes said they would not return to work in the office for fear for the fake plague, they were taken at their word. Just like all those celebutards who threaten to leave the country when things don't go their way.

He obviously hasn't learned the most important rule of management. A good manager asks many more questions than they give orders. He should have been asking questions such as"can we bring everyone back to the office?" and "what happens if we do?" instead of getting a bug up his butt and tweeting out orders petulantly and prematurely.
I would sell my stock in the company for this one reason if I had any.

Or the hyperloop. Or Star link. Or the Mars missions and Space X in general.
Just recently, SpaceX managed 3 successful launches in two days time. NASA's Space Shuttle -- with a far larger budget -- counted itself lucky to manage that many per year. Starlink is already providing ultra-low latency, broadband Internet to areas utterly infeasible to serve with fiber. As for Hyperloop, your criticisms of it remind me of those who decried the "terrible idea" of horseless carriages that were far less reliable than the good old hayburners they'd spent their life riding. Jets waste the vast majority of their fuel fighting air resistance. Why on earth would an advanced society want to stick with antiquated technology like that?

About as well thought out as his plan to buy Twitter
Twitter's own board of directors apparently believes it was well thought out.

June 23, 2022: Twitter Board Unanimously Approves Elon Musk Takeover....

As for this gaslighting story itself -- a shortage of parking and weak wi-fi at the corporate office. Oh, the horror!

The comments hating on a return to work atmosphere .... laughable .... your mindsets are seriously laughable. Get off ur butts and go do something, stop expecting people should get paid for less and less work. I'm happy Musk told these spoiled employees to get to work or beat it. Only way to produce real results is with a workforce that is committed to the job at hand. Simple. Don't like it, Stop complaining and go work somewhere else.

Twitter's own board of directors apparently believes it was well thought out.

June 23, 2022: Twitter Board Unanimously Approves Elon Musk Takeover....

As for this gaslighting story itself -- a shortage of parking and weak wi-fi at the corporate office. Oh, the horror!
Since the Board loves it, what's Musk's hold up? How come the sale didn't go through?

Last edited:
mask.png

What's Musk's hold up? How come the sale didn't go through?
Glad you asked. Twitter's board of directors had been refusing to both approve the sale, and to provide data to verify their statements regarding their subscriber base. As of just last week, they finally voted to approve the sale. And, given they've started to provide account data, if it does reflect their claims that 95%+ of all accounts are valid, then the purchase will undoubtedly move forward.

The comments hating on a return to work atmosphere .... laughable .... your mindsets are seriously laughable. Get off ur butts and go do something, stop expecting people should get paid for less and less work. I'm happy Musk told these spoiled employees to get to work or beat it. Only way to produce real results is with a workforce that is committed to the job at hand. Simple. Don't like it, Stop complaining and go work somewhere else.
I think you're confused.
Read the entire headline.

Or the hyperloop. Or Star link. Or the Mars missions and Space X in general. This guy is composed of so many bubbles on top of terrible ideas he might as well be the Michelin man.
Both Starlink and SpaceX have been amazing and have no one even close to them. Instead of trowing out hate comment let us know which of these has better alternative if you thin they are a failure.

Whoever think Musk is his friend or a "cool guy" are living in a dream... he's just , mostly, good at PR...

It simple, you want to be the richest man on Earth you must be a slave-drive, otherwise you won't make it to the top

"Slave-drive"??? Yeah, having to work in a Tesla office for 40hrs to get above $100,000(USD). Damn, that's HORRIFIC! Where's the Abolish Movement?? Seriously, we all know the anti-Elon Musk sentiment is due to his recent shift in politics because that's when it all erupted. It just makes it more obvious when you people write the most outlandish crap in order to vent your frustrations.

It simple, you want to be the richest man on Earth you must be a slave-drive, otherwise you won't make it to the top

And that's the thing that gets me. His 6 days a week 40hrs minimum is nothing like what his lower level employees are expected to do. Then add the difference in compensation for those hours? His enterprises pay less than going rates because he's quoted as saying "It's a privilege to work for me so a lower wage should be expected." He's everything wrong with the capitalist system, and his current actions simply reinforce that.

And that's the thing that gets me. His 6 days a week 40hrs minimum is nothing like what his lower level employees are expected to do.
Oops! According to Business Insider, Musk himself works about 85-100 hours a week, and generally takes no more than a 5-minute lunch. Numerous accounts had him at one point using a sleeping bag on the Tesla factory floor, to ensure his presence there 24x7. I don't believe any of his "lower level employees" are required to do anything like that.

His enterprises pay less than going rates
Oops again!

Considering that the median earnings [in 2018] of Tesla’s employees is $56,163, the electric car maker’s workers seem to be receiving around 81% more than the median American.....

That's four years old, of course. The most recent data from Payscale.com says this:

Average Salary for Tesla Motors Employees
$102k/ year base (USD)
$9k/ year Avg. Bonus (USD)

Musk is posatively laughable or as they say in the country "bull dog mouth and puppy dog a-hole" ....

Is there some magic involved in office chairs and/or desks that makes the same people on the same computers do more work, or what is it?

If employees do measurably less work in HO, it's the manager who's at fault, not the employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back