Enabled LAN - Connection Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerGuy55

OK so I have a problem, I've found two other posts that seem to be fairly recent on having this problem also and no fix yet.

Problem: LAN gets disabled and can not re-enable it. Get error message saying "Connection Failed!" Shortly after trying to enable it.

(Links to other posts about it: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Please_HELP_CONNECTION_FAILED_error_t104105.html

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/883663-connection-failed-lan-connection.html )

Currently trying to fix the problem myself but I am looking for outside help. Will be posting on both of those forum's shortly after this post to redirect them to here so it can all be joined in 1 post, as well as by experts, as it seems on this site, a lot of people know what they are talking about.

Now what I am running on is a Toshiba Laptop, running Windows XP SP3, writing this on another computer though, as it has no internet.

I didn't actually disable my LAN, I tried one cord and could not connect to the internet. Unplugged it and plugged in another one and noticed it got Disabled, tried to enable it and it got the same thing "Connection Failed!"

I went into the Device Manager and noticed that the Network Adapter was installed, but when I double clicked it, it said there "No Drivers are installed for this device" But the device does not have an Exclamation mark or an X or anything, Device manager shows it is "Installed" but the properties say it isn't.

So I tried to update the driver, it found the files and started to update, but stalled, it shows animation that it is still doing something but hangs on that just repeating the animation. Like the other post said, it hangs there when trying to uninstall it, it hangs when trying to reinstall also.

Tried to get a driver from Toshiba's website, downloaded, put on USB flash drive, plugged it into the laptop and the laptop does not notice the drive, the USB flash drive lights up, but no recognition by windows, same symptoms as one of the posts above.

This does not seem to be a very EASY fix, I checked all my services, the right ones all seem to be on, going to post this then check all bios settings. Hard drive, ram and all that have been tested good. Going to post a redirct to this site from those two also. Help is Very well apprectiated, thanks in advance.

I've read the other sites replies back to you. Now let's do it this way..

1. Go here and follow this: method https://www.techspot.com/vb/post832889-2.html
2. On the laptop remove the drivers for wired and wireless then reboot the system
3. After windows restores the drivers
4. After doing step 1 attach the router back to the laptop using wired connection
5. Now setup the router with your cable modem
6. Test the connection and see if you connect?

Note if you don't connect there is a problem with the router and try updating the firmware for it. If you still have the same issue replace the router. Since wired connection is doing the same.

Theres no problem with the router. I work as a computer Tech and I have multiple computers on this network and they all work fine, this laptops the only one with the problem.

Note in my above post, I cannot uninstall/update drivers related to the Network drivers. Have not tried the Wireless one as it did not seem to be the problem at the time. None-the-less I am edging towards a reload on XP as the customer said it would be alright. If the error proceeds after a reinstall it would be hardware and I'd suggest a replacement for the laptop. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Theres no problem with the router. I work as a computer Tech and I have multiple computers on this network and they all work fine, this laptops the only one with the problem.

Note in my above post, I cannot uninstall/update drivers related to the Network drivers. Have not tried the Wireless one as it did not seem to be the problem at the time. None-the-less I am edging towards a reload on XP as the customer said it would be alright. If the error proceeds after a reinstall it would be hardware and I'd suggest a replacement for the laptop. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Oh your a computer tech okay. You made it sound like it was your PC as a regular user. Then reload the OS then. I would wipe HDD with 1 pass DOD method on the HDD prior to you putting a fresh OS on it so you don't run into those installation of XP CD errors. These errors also show up under Vista, Server 2003/2008 and 7, thanks to MS coding.

I had a similar issue on a computer that I could not re-enable the LAN, or it would be limited and no connection.

After confirming all the normal stuff (driver updates, malware removal, service pack, and even uninstalling real time protections such as Norton and AVG, plus running the associated removal tools)
I eventually just ran CheckDisk and all of a sudden it was solved. So try that. :)

Windows XP: Start > Run > chkdsk /r > ok > Y > Restart
Or manual steps from here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post672297-2.html

Windows Vista or Windows 7: You may need to run CheckDisk on an elevated Command line:
  1. VistaStartButton.jpg
    > Search > CMD
  2. Press Ctrl + Shift + Enter
  3. Click Continue on the UAC message
  4. Type CHKDSK /R then press enter key
NOTE: Answer Y if chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows boots (restarts)

Yeah that would just be that it had a bad connection or that your IP is in use/got disconnected, that's a pretty simple fix, thanks for the suggestion though. And yeah we usually do a format on the HDD before. And both HDD and RAM have been tested for faults, Drive is actually new so.

I never format manually
I always remove the partition

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Windows 7 Home Premium Reinstall Guide step by step

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Don't worry Kimsland, I know how to make my way around the computer to do all that type of stuff, just some of the more in-depth stuff like deleting/creating specific registry keys and stuff that I have a bit of trouble with, without some help, as well as advanced windows problems such as above. re-installing windows is pretty much, insert the disc, delete old partitions, create new, format, and install. After backing up data of course.

Even have our own image that does SP3+60+ updates so we don't have much left to install, also puts a few extra programs on, skips the whole "Put ur name here, select time and date" does it all for us so we can just let it install and go finish other work, quite handy.

Don't worry Kimsland, ...re-installing windows is pretty much, insert the disc, delete old partitions, create new, format, and install.
Yes except don't format of course ;)

Windows Setup will automatically format an non-partitioned system drive
You never need to manually format on clean install, unless you want to wipe the drive (which is normally not required)

You should wipe out the drive though or just del the partition. Quick format then you're good to go. Again everyone going to do it differently if you had push it does automatically and dumps the image then you do the rest to join to the domain.

Yes except don't format of course ;)

Windows Setup will automatically format an non-partitioned system drive
You never need to manually format on clean install, unless you want to wipe the drive (which is normally not required)

Lol, I know, thats what I meant by format though, when you create your partitions then you go to install windows, u format the drive before install.

That's just confusing :rolleyes:

Next time you have a non-partitioned drive for clean install, watch how Windows races past both those steps in about 5 secs. Most users do not even see the partition and NTFS format automatically created
Then Windows starts the setup (little or no user input)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back