England riots: Government mulls social media controls

They'll never get to that stage...the government are already split over whether to just talk about it, let alone bring it into law or anything.

Makes me laugh when our PM goes on about it; he's cutting the hell out of the police force, yet talks about how police resources are "invaluable".

Aye, its pretty comical. :haha:

I don't think they're bothered as long as there own backyard (London) is riot free either. And where the hell were they when it all kicked off? Yep, on holiday! :haha:

I find it especially comical listening to our PM say baton rounds are authorised when he in fact actually has absolutely no authority to even give that order. Thats up to the Police, not a PM. Oh, and prison sentences for those violently rioting; exactly where are they all going to go out of curiosity?

Last time I looked our prison system was in chaos, was overfilled beyond capacity, and we in fact needed more prisons which is precisely why our courts let so many people walk away with a slap on the wrists. So guess we'll be letting murders, rapists and violent offenders out early to make space then....

Its all utter bollocks!

I read somewhere that sale of baseball bats imported from US went up by 6000%, I wonder why didn't the rioter simply bought cricket bats, would be lot cheaper IMO.

I think if they do, it will incite more rioting; don't you think? Perhaps they should be focusing on the initial cause of the riots instead of how they were executed.

Good point, Leeky/Benny I know that a police shooting/killing of someone is being used as pretext for all this violence, but I am unsure how one incidence can start a crisis like this. Any thoughts?

I think if they do, it will incite more rioting; don't you think? Perhaps they should be focusing on the initial cause of the riots instead of how they were executed.

The initital cause?

They only did it to loot, because the Police did nothing on the first night having been caught off guard.

And it certainly isn't in the name of the 29 year old male who sadly lost his life at the hands of SO19 armed response Police either.

It was to profit only, from the fact the Police were unable to get to places in numbers before rioters had looted everywhere. By the second night rioters in other cities had already figured out the Police weren't going to catch them (at the time) and they therefore rioted in other cities to take complete advantage of the situation.

Our system is not perfect, and it needs urgent review, but to suggest that the riots were on the grounds of unemployment and lack of education or the potential for it is sensational at best.

EDIT: Archean,

Basically, Police shot and killed someone. The next day or so there was a peaceful protest against those actions as the media at the time were reporting it as a needless execution (in as many words). Then it turned nasty and into a riot. By the second/third night people in other cities had realised the Police were doing very little to prevent it, and that caused other cities to riot so they could loot as well.

Its all a disgrace really.

So in other words it was total opportunism, they decided to make merry as long as it lasted.

Cameron didn't seemed as daft as he seems now when I heard the man first time around.

The initital cause?

They only did it to loot, because the Police did nothing on the first night having been caught off guard.

And it certainly isn't in the name of the 29 year old male who sadly lost his life at the hands of SO19 armed response Police either.

It was to profit only, from the fact the Police were unable to get to places in numbers before rioters had looted everywhere.

That's too bad. Sounds like a waste of a riot. I take it they weren't prepared with citrus-soaked bandannas in plastic bags then? Boy, you never forget the taste of that gas.

Don't you think that media in almost every country now sensationalize / over-hype everything to such extent that incidences like these can then flare up people's response in violent ways?

They rarely use tear gas or water cannons in the UK. They've never even used baton rounds (plastic/rubber bullets) (to my knowledge) on the UK mainland.

They should have had the water cannons out in force, that would have quashed it. Sorry but anyone looting has no excuse, and if they're in the way of it that's their issue.

A few people have even been killed caught in the middle of riots and being attacked my rioters. These youths have literally turned their own neighbourhoods into war grounds.

It was even shown on TV that one guy who looked to be bleeding from a head/face wound was helped up by rioters, who then proceeded to rob the belongings from his rucksack.. I don't care who you are, or where your from, that is not in the name of anyone or a protest against any inequality, it is mindless thuggery.

All I know is I never trust the media. I assume propaganda is in use until evidence suggests otherwise. ... And I don't mean the kind of evidence that is presented from a plastic tube in the living room.

Yes I heard the news that a car over ran three pakistani men killing them on the spot (I think). But I agree that it is more of a looting spree.

What angers me is most of these people using the riots as a form or pollitical demonstration are talking utter rubbish. They speak about no prospects, yet don't know how lucky they are!

I've recently recovered enough to start occasionally venturing out, but spent the greater part of two years housebound due to massive back problems. In that time I've had to fight tooth and nail to keep a roof over my head, and to survive on what essentially is barely enough for someone to feed and cloth themselves. I live alone, I have a house to pay for and run, and I spend all my time being treated like some form of scum by the Social departments of our government. They won't let me work, they won't let me do voluntary work.

I'm not allowed to look for work, and I get absolutely no help in finding it. I'm scorned upon by employers in either case because I'm disabled to a degree, yet not actually severely disabled enough in the Governments eye's to be registered disabled. Therefore the Disabilities Act and a fair right to employment don't apply to me. It is illegal to withhold information requested by employers, so the first thing they ask is for you to fill out their application; it's guaranteed there is a section titled "existing medical conditions". If asked, I have to tell them. So what happens... Well plenty more are applying so for whatever reason I never hear back from anyone.

I live every day not knowing if I'll be paid money by the government (had it stopped three times this year due to errors on their part already) and I'm seen twice yearly by GP's that are about as helpful as dead ferrets.

My long term prospects are slim at best, and having been out of work for the last 2 years makes the situation far worse to employers. Socially, being housebound for so long has taken its toll as well, and I now struggle to remain in crowded situations and am very nervous and anxious around people. Mentally I have suffered as much as I have physically, and my back is never going to improve, it will just get worse now.

I don't want sympathy, or a hand out for the rest of life. I want to work and earn my own money, just like everyone else does. Our benefits system needs a massive reform in all honesty, but rioting and looting the businesses and area's that could employ them in the future is certainly not helping their situation.

Yet I'm not stealing flatscreen TVs, or using it as an excuse to go looting!

These kids have absolutely no sodding excuse what-so-ever, and I hope every last one is caught and given serious consequences... But knowing this stupid country the second the government are in the clear due to another scandal it will all be forgotten, and they'll get away with it unpunished.

There is a way you go about doing things, and the youths of today could learn a great deal from there peers, who achieve what they feel are the right changes by voting and using peaceful protests against our government.

God only knows how my pension and living will be paid by the generation of today.

Mentally I have suffered as much as I have physically, and my back is never going to improve, it will just get worse now.

Yet I'm not stealing flatscreen TVs, or using it as an excuse to go looting!

That is too bad. I hope you find a way to resolve your issues. I couldn't agree more about the rioters really. I wholeheartedly believe in a people's right to protest, but if it is true that these particular people are only out to loot, I would just as soon release the Erinyes upon them in full force.

I am far more familiar with police brutality against peaceful bands of protesters than I am with this rabble of moronic bullies skipping around in their designer jeans, track suits, and sweat top hoodies, stealing what they may without so much as an inkling of an ethical dilemma in their hearts.

On a bit of a wider scope I think if a society produces literally thousands of these types within its citizenry, it is worth analyzing the overall functionality of that society. I suppose this makes me a conflict theorist, but the fact of the matter is: filth in, filth out. I am not in any way singling out the UK either. When I say society, I mean Human society overall.

What could be producing this type of nasty population? I am quick to point my finger at the monetary system in general, but I think something more specific may be at play. Or rather, some things.

I am absolutely sure Leeky you are strong enough to cope with your health related shortcomings and will strive to improve your health as much as you can :).

I think the underlying social issues e.g. quality of parenting / education must also be taken into account for evaluation. I remember my parents always keeping an eye on me until I went to college, just to make sure that I am not doing something 'wrong'. Today, I don't see parents taking enough pain / giving enough time to their kids and their upbringing. This can lead to issues later on in the life when these kids reach teen years etc. But that is just my observation.

The economy, lack of jobs, spiralling education costs and the benefits system are not helping. But we are also far too lenient on youths of today. Dare I say 30-40 years ago they'd have had a right seeing to if this was to happen like it has the last few days in this country.

You also need to be parting some of the blame on the parents of my generation as well. Why are they allowing there children out knowing what is going on.

One of the problems we have is that the only stories you hear about welfare in this country, are the bad ones: people spounging off the state mostly. You can be sure that 95% of all welfare stories in the media are bad, yet the bad won't account for even 5% of the overall people on welfare.

The government see this as a perfect play to cut welfare, tighten the lines, and put more walls in the way for people who really could do with that helping hand. Now it seems, if you don't look sick, you're not sick, yet this is crap, and behind the scenes the government know it. They actually don't trust the word of your GP anymore, they send round one of their own "suits" to make you jump through hoops. For people with Bi-polar, depression or anxiety, these times are really hard now.

On the riots, I agree with Leeky; It's just mindless thugs getting in on the thrill, getting in on the free TVs and clothes. At first it might have been about something, but then it was just about stealing. They've even been on the news admitting it straight up.

What's sad, is that alot of them will get away with it, and all them people who had their lives ruined (some without insurance) will just have to fork out for the damage, or spend a good week cleaning the mess up. Of course it's different for the familys of those who's sons were killed, they'll be spending their whole life living with that.

Our PM said in the house of Common's earlier today that it is being classed as a riot and therefore even uninsured people will be compensated for damages caused.

Doesn't make up for those who will suffer the lifelong anguish of losing a loved one though. I have to say I got very emotional listening to the father of a children hit (and killed) in Birmingham last night. Having revived his son, to then lose him later on again in Hospital, he had the courage to stand up and demand the violence stop. He single handedly stopped all the rioting there with his words.

I feel for everyone that has lost at the hands of these mindless yobs. :(

I think loosing a child is the worst thing in life for any parent to live with.

Our PM said in the house of Common's earlier today that it is being classed as a riot and therefore even uninsured people will be compensated for damages caused.

At least he got one thing right then.

It's just mindless thugs getting in on the thrill, getting in on the free TVs and clothes. At first it might have been about something, but then it was just about stealing. They've even been on the news admitting it straight up.

I hope they catch most of them (if not all), and get them convicted, only serves them right. What was said that a policeman who arrested one of these rioters told a reporter that the person was a teacher, not someone I was expecting to be part of this looting spree.

One of the problems we have is that the only stories you hear about welfare in this country, are the bad ones: people spounging off the state mostly. You can be sure that 95% of all welfare stories in the media are bad, yet the bad won't account for even 5% of the overall people on welfare.

Sound familiar doesn't it (just like in US). I don't know much about UK, but the insurance model which is adopted by US totally suites the insurance companies, the doctors which these companies hires are specially trained to 'deny' claims in such way which would not hold them accountable, and off course boost 'the bottom line'. I used to deal with AIG as my employer too provide us with similar health insurance package, and during 3 or so years we worked with them, the successful claim ratio was around 25-30%. Anyway, long and the short of it we gave them a pretty nice kick on the *** .....

Anyway the sad thing is your current crop of politicians mostly include right wing crooks who just like their US cousins would rather serve their business 'friends' instead of serve the people who actually elected them.

Here's what irks me...saw this on the news. Some guy had gotten knocked down during a riot. A group of other guys came over to help him up and check on him. "Aww, that was nice" you may be thinking. But wait...while they were helping him up, another guy in the group was taking the guy's wallet out of his backpack. Once he got the wallet, the group just left. Poor kid saw it but there wasn't anything he could do...just him against 5 or 6 other guys. The guy who got the wallet was walking away holding it up in the air in a "oh yeah, check me out, I just stole this guy's wallet" type of manner. Made me sick.

The guy who got the wallet was walking away holding it up in the air in a "oh yeah, check me out, I just stole this guy's wallet" type of manner. Made me sick.
Observing humanity as a whole, has completely turned me off to it as a rule.

Back