Enhance and Upscale: FSR 2.2 vs DLSS 2.4 Analysis

FSR 2.1 on Cyberpunk on my 1080Ti helps me turn up the details at 1440p whilst keeping the performance. Yep you get some artifacts when driving/riding a motorcycle at speed but only really in 3rd person view. Head into 1st person and it's fine. Figures crossed more games adopt FSR 2.2 and above when available - I might not need to upgrade for some time yet....

I'll have to keep a closer eye on things, however with DLSS the only issue I have playing FH5 is the ghosting behind my own car when driving in 3rd person mode, and it isn't even all the time, nor overly distracting. The NPC's constant BS chattering is far more distracting/annoying, I think I'll be a little more distracted now looking for other artifacts and sizzling however.

Not the best implementation of DLSS I have ever seen, however it is now a year after the game's launch when this has been added and it seems to be continually improved and worked upon.

There is still another DLC supposed to arrive next year. I do expect the developers to continue patching this game for another 6 months and it is likely there will be tweaks and tuning to refine the feature. It is considerably better than launch state, it feels much more polished.

"We have to focus on these occasional artefacts in games like Forza Horizon 5 because the majority of the time, there's not a lot separating DLSS and FSR using the Quality modes."
I believe that Tim has just explained the crux of the situation. The only way to notice a difference is to look closely at little things that you'd probably never notice, especially in a racing game. If you only had one card or the other (which would be normal), you'd be perfectly fine with either one.

In other words, it's not really something that's significant enough to tip the scales in either direction, also known as a "nothingburger". :laughing:

I believe that Tim has just explained the crux of the situation. The only way to notice a difference is to look closely at little things that you'd probably never notice, especially in a racing game.

Thats my biggest problem with this kind of analysis.

For some reasons, facts like this are always ignored and in the end, the viewer/reader ends with the impression that the tech sucks (just ask any member of the nvidia church what they think of FSR).

Same for RT, (which to me) only works on literally a couple of games, in a way that I would say I want it to the point that I would ignore the insane performance hit.

They dont point that out, they dont point that it is practically a gimmick on 99.98% of the current games, wont point out that in a fast moving game is almost impossible to see or my favorite, they themselves needs to pause the game when they find a puddle or a mirror to "admire" the RT effects.

I can go on and on about that, but you get the point already.

Native TAA kicks arse. It's only 10% slower and there are no ugly artifacts. I especially dislike jagged wires, which remind me of old games before AA even existed. In a modern game I'd rather have 10% lower FPS than ugly aliased wires and edges, 20th century style.

Honestly I'd only use these upscaling tricks with RT turned on. My 2080 super has no trouble playing 1440p with very high settings and no DLSS. RDNA3 and Lovelace are going to be plenty fast enough in rasterisation even for lower end models.

Thats my biggest problem with this kind of analysis.

For some reasons, facts like this are always ignored and in the end, the viewer/reader ends with the impression that the tech sucks (just ask any member of the nvidia church what they think of FSR).

Same for RT, (which to me) only works on literally a couple of games, in a way that I would say I want it to the point that I would ignore the insane performance hit.

They dont point that out, they dont point that it is practically a gimmick on 99.98% of the current games, wont point out that in a fast moving game is almost impossible to see or my favorite, they themselves needs to pause the game when they find a puddle or a mirror to "admire" the RT effects.

I can go on and on about that, but you get the point already.
You're not wrong old friend, you're not wrong. (y) (Y)
Honestly I'd only use these upscaling tricks with RT turned on. My 2080 super has no trouble playing 1440p with very high settings and no DLSS. RDNA3 and Lovelace are going to be plenty fast enough in rasterisation even for lower end models.
Yep, and the question remains... How much value does RT add to a racing game? Since your light angle is almost constantly changing and you're focused on the edge of the track for your next turn, does RT really do anything? I'm going to guess that it's a no.
It is a highly optimised game considering the graphics and amazing lighting.
Yeah, it's a shame that more developers don't have this level of dedication.
Anyone else just running with MSAA (and driver supersampling as to get rid of jaggy wires) ? No ghosting, no glitches and an ultra sharp experience. Amazing in 4k
I believe it. This is why I say that FSR and DLSS are only for cards that can't properly play the game natively. For high-end cards, they're completely redundant.

Is this technology purely for games or could it be applied to streaming video?
Games only. While video frames can be used to generate the motion vector and color buffers required for FSR and DLSS, there's no depth buffer at all, which both methods require to work as intended.

If you need to really focus on every frame to see the differences... let it be DLSS or FSR or even RT (yes, it's not an upscaling, but a gimmick eye-candy nonetheless), it's not worth it. I was never impressed with any of these. In the frantic pace of intense gaming, you don't have time to observe these minute differences. The only excuse for these so-called upscaling is to make your lower spec card to compete in today's games. Not that today's games are anything to shout about anyway.

Back