Entering password takes me straight to log-off and password re-entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommygunn

Yesterday I was doing a clean up with Ccleaner etc and in my haste I did not take note of what I was clicking. Spybot Search and Destroy flashed up and I clicked to allow, or not allow as the case may be, to do something to, from what I can remember, 'WLON' or something similarly named.

In any case, what happens now is that I fire up the computer, enter my password, the desktop briefly flashes up for a split second(no icons) and then it immediately logs off and goes to password entry again.

Can't seem to get around it and don't know what to do.
Any help please.

I have noticed many, many cases like this. Is it a new pestilential virus? Or a recent MS patch causing the trouble?

This is very very common Virus activity that extends the Explorer.exe registry startup command. Been around for years, lots of different unique Viruses and malware causes it.

How did you go anyway?

I just today had someone describe this happening to (it was as I was leaving so I didn't get a chance for that many details) So is it just a case of XP_FixLogon in safe mode and doing the 8 step etc

Well I gave it all a shot. Normal mode, last good configuration etc etc and also logging in as administrator and that too just returns back to password log-on again.

Is there anyway to salvage the data by other means?

I think I'm screwed!

two options one you download the Xp logon file from another computer and put it on a USB stick or if you
or if you can get into safe mode with networking you should be able to download it there

Thing is I don't know when I'm supposed to plug or type stuff in because it does not give me the option to.
Here's a run down of what each choice allows me:

1) Switch on - Only my account appears / enter password / loads settings & logs off / returns to password entry.

2) F8 - Choose boot device / Harddisk / Hold F8

Safe Mode:
Goes to welcome screen with both Admin and my account password entry. Both non functional e.g. save settings and return to password entry.

Safe mode with networking:
Ditto.

Safe mode with command prompt:
Ditto.

Enable boot logging:
Ditto (only my account appears)

Enable VGA mode:
Ditto (only my account appears)

Last known good configuration:
All options go to my account, I log-in and it simply reverts to password entry again.

Directory services restore mode:
Check disk & starts in safe mode. Goes to my account log-in. Usual log-in problem.

Debugging mode:
Straight to my account log-in, usual problem.

Disable automatic restart on system failure:
Ditto.

So, in all of this there is no where to type anything or select an alternative option/procedure other than entering the password.

Final note, since I have my OS on drive 'C' and all my other stuff on 'D' can I just reformat 'C' and everything on 'D' will be preserved?

well if you don't have any data on the c drive that you don't mind losing then a clean install is a option.

well I would see if we can get a second opinion on this first see if anyone has any other suggestion

Due to the high possibility of virus activity
I would say that clean re-install would be the simplest option
Especially since being over 5 days old thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back