Epic acquires Rocket League developer Psyonix

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? The creators of Rocket League, the massively popular vehicular soccer game, have joined Epic Games. The acquisition of Psyonix studios took place for an undisclosed amount and will formally complete by the end of this month in what marks yet another major move for Epic in scoring big titles for its gaming platform.

Psyonix studios made a surprising announcement to officially join the Epic Games family. In what is another feather in the cap for Epic, the title is expected to launch on the Epic Games store later this year.

According to the creators, the acquisition will greatly benefit the game's e-sports ecosystem as it "significantly increases our potential reach and resources, just like it does for the game itself." Both parties have a history of working together, including Psyonix's partnership with Epic in the Unreal Tournament 2004 and its contribution to Gears of War and Mass Effect 3.

But how will this affect the game and its huge player base on Valve's competing Steam store? For now, players on the Steam version can continue to play their existing copy of the game for an indefinite period and expect continued support such as DLCs, patches and all other future content. Before the game eventually arrives on Epic's Store, "it will continue to be available for purchase on Steam; thereafter it will continue to be supported on Steam for all existing purchasers."

This seems to indicate that users have a limited time to purchase the game on Steam and could be frustrating for newcomers or existing gamers and their friends to choose a storefront and its companion features once the game supposedly becomes an exclusive purchase on Epic's platform.

Permalink to story.

This seems weird imo,

seems epic needs them to help rake in more cash, to botch up rocket league would be a major mistake, this'll be interesting to watch cause if epic messes that game up it could be their death sentence, its not just a pc game, it even brought consoles together.

Not that my opinion matters to anyone, but I have never felt good about Epic games since they supposedly completely robbed Fortnite from PUBG in one of the worst stories I have ever heard of. I am not sure how they got away with it, but from what I understand, it is more carelessness from PUBG that gave them the opportunity to rob them blind. Do I want a company like that running rocket league? Not really. I much prefer to support a company that is not shady.

IDC as long as my steam version gets updated. EPIC taking over Psyonix may just be the best thing that has happened to RocketLeague in a good while.

Expect a lot of Fortnite inspired content coming to rocket league and vice versa.

Really disappointed, clocked over a thousand hours in this game :(
Over 1K hrs as well but I see it as a good thing. The only new thing to come to the game recently is RocketPass which is just cosmetics.
They added curve but only in private matches mutator settings. The game hasn't brought too much new stuff to the table lately.

Not that my opinion matters to anyone, but I have never felt good about Epic games since they supposedly completely robbed Fortnite from PUBG in one of the worst stories I have ever heard of. I am not sure how they got away with it, but from what I understand, it is more carelessness from PUBG that gave them the opportunity to rob them blind. Do I want a company like that running rocket league? Not really. I much prefer to support a company that is not shady.

It's a nice story. But just a story, nicely laundered to manipulate you into thinking a particular thing.

Like the story that Microsoft stole the idea for Windows from Apple after Apple showed everyone how to do it. It's about as factual as the Fortnite/PUBG one going around.

In both cases someone else came up with the idea first, then a company found a way to monetize it and then another company found a way to monetize it better. It's business and if it was illegal, you can bet your *** there would be lawsuits.

I hope you don't dislike ReSpawn and everyone else doing battle royales or you won't have many developers left to support.

Really disappointed, clocked over a thousand hours in this game :(
Over 1K hrs as well but I see it as a good thing. The only new thing to come to the game recently is RocketPass which is just cosmetics.
They added curve but only in private matches mutator settings. The game hasn't brought too much new stuff to the table lately.

steam had no control over the game, I can't see anything major changing now epic owns it.

steam had no control over the game, I can't see anything major changing now epic owns it.
*you mean Valve*
Epic, the 9 figures monthly revenue, UE creators and now the owners of Psyonix and Rocket League won't put in major changes into one of their new esport titles? I don't think you realize why you're even mad. What a save!

It's a nice story. But just a story, nicely laundered to manipulate you into thinking a particular thing.

Like the story that Microsoft stole the idea for Windows from Apple after Apple showed everyone how to do it. It's about as factual as the Fortnite/PUBG one going around.

In both cases someone else came up with the idea first, then a company found a way to monetize it and then another company found a way to monetize it better. It's business and if it was illegal, you can bet your *** there would be lawsuits.

I hope you don't dislike ReSpawn and everyone else doing battle royales or you won't have many developers left to support.
I don't know everything, but there are alot of unanswered questions about how epic developed "their version" of virtually the same game in ridiculously less time. I also understand that PUBG was relying on Epic for certain things and, one day, realized that the project they had been working for a long time on was now somehow released by someone they trusted in a fraction of the time and for free. Also, the Fortnite that was being developed before the great heist, still hasn't been released.

Back