Epic Games briefly enabled cross-play on Fortnite between PlayStation and Xbox

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

When Epic Games released Fortnite back in July, it did not announce that PC/console cross-play would be enabled, but it didn’t take players long to figure it out. What was more surprising was that cross-play was allowed between PC and PlayStation 4.

Sony has been stuck in the mud regarding allowing cross-platform play between consoles, but seemed relaxed a little bit when it came to the PC since it is not a direct competitor.

The home gaming giant has denied cross-platform play on games like Minecraft and Rocket League even though developers say it would be easy for them to add the feature. Apparently, enabling the feature is so easy that Epic accidentally allowed cross-play between PS4 and Xbox One players for a couple of hours last weekend.

According to players on Reddit, XBONE and PS4 players were intermingling for a little while last Saturday. It was discovered when redditor PRE_-CISION-_ found himself being killed by a player with a strange name.

PRE_-CISION-_ (a PS4 player) says that a player going by the handle “zCypher Nine” killed him in a Battle Royale match. He noticed that the gamer tag contained a space, which is odd because spaces are not allowed in PlayStation Network user names. Searching for the player on PSN turned up no results. PRE_-CISION-_ decided to try looking for the player on his XB1 just for the heck of it and sure enough found him.

Around this same time, another Reddit user posted a picture of himself and his son playing Fortnite side-by-side on PS4 and XB1 respectively ( shown below). There can be no doubt that cross-platform play was occurring between the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One, at least for a little while.

In an email with Kotaku, Epic Games stated, "We had a configuration issue and it has now been corrected."

More accurately, once developers realized Xbox and PlayStation cross-play was enabled, they quickly turned it off.

Epic only did what it had to do to keep Sony off its back, but it raises the question: when is Sony going to layoff and just allow cross-platform play already?

It is apparently already a configurable feature in the backend of the Fortnite servers, and probably others as well. However, Sony continues to pretend that they are open to “discussions” for developing cross-play games, while denying any attempts or requests to allow it.

Now that PS4 gamers know that it works with the flick of a virtual switch, the ball is in Sony's court. Will it finally make a growing portion of its user base happy with a highly requested element, or will it continue to drag its feet and make excuses even though fans now have proof that the feature is already built-in to at least one game?

Permalink to story.

Sounds like Sony is going to be piiiiised at Epic, but I'm really glad that this has happened. The second that I heard that it was Sony being dumb with cross-platform support with XB1 many months ago, I stopped being interested in buying a PS4.
No more excuses Sony, enable it for your customers and other gamers already.

Sounds like Sony is going to be piiiiised at Epic, but I'm really glad that this has happened. The second that I heard that it was Sony being dumb with cross-platform support with XB1 many months ago, I stopped being interested in buying a PS4.

I hope Sony block this CrossPlay thing if you want to play with PS Gamers just buy a PS... this is a MS way to get out of the mess they are in...

For me it's no to Cross Play with Xbox.

My inner cynic thinks this was in no way an accident, but instead a means to generate publicity for the game, and the show up Sony to try and force their hand. It won't work, no doubt, but I like the idea!

I hope Sony block this CrossPlay thing if you want to play with PS Gamers just buy a PS... this is a MS way to get out of the mess they are in...

Why on Earth would you even want that? Why divide???? It's stupid reasoning mate.

You can s
Why on Earth would you even want that? Why divide???? It's stupid reasoning mate.

You can simply buy a PS4 if you really want to play with PS Gamers... if Microsoft and Xbox where in a different position believe me they would not allow this...

When Sony began with this Crossplay thing in the PS3 era what was the MS position?

I wish Sony block this feature on Xbox.

It's funny how the peasants are still squabbling over cross play support between their pitifully consoles.

Wait it's Sony's fault cross play isn't a thing? Cool story bro.

Or you can just build a PC that wipes the floor with these plastic door stops and not give two shits about what Sony does ever again, because realize this, Sony doesn't want you to enjoy the hardware they sell you anymore, this much should be obvious by now.

What about other conciderations? Framerate for example? Is it fair to have games run better on one system than the other, because it gives advantages online.

So what do you do? Do you now cap Ps4pro and later cap Xb1x and what about the older consoles that really can't compete with the newer ones.

It's not just hey lets have cross play, for me it's more like how are you gunna make sure it's fair for everyone?

And to be honest when Sony wanted cross play last gen it was MS that was dumb but now when the tables have turned they are all for it. Nah I see why Sony might be like "**** you too now"

Not that I give or ever gave the slightest damn about cross play but I would've thought it would've been a thing of the past long ago. As is the norm, the manufacturers bottom line is far, far more important than the consumers wants.

Did MS insult your mom or something? Why the heck would you be so nonchalantly against the option of playing with more people? As a gamer, I think this should've happened a loooong time ago for the good of all gamers.

The bigger playing community the better. However, there's so many difficulties with gamers on PC and the advantages they have over the consoles I still wouldn't expect it anytime soon. However, mixing the gaming consoles should have been done by now. They have the capability, obviously... so what's the hold up? (Alright, I'd probably know if I cared that much to fully read the article, but anyways...) It's obvious some commentators in here never really play on PC here, or have played on PC but don't like it because keyboard and mouse controls. You should learn to game with a mouse! But I digress...

For smaller, less popular, or older games with small gaming communities, this would be great news if all platforms were combined. They arent getting any **** from the PC gaming community over this, but I could see console players being resistant.

What about other conciderations? Framerate for example? Is it fair to have games run better on one system than the other, because it gives advantages online.

So what do you do? Do you now cap Ps4pro and later cap Xb1x and what about the older consoles that really can't compete with the newer ones.

It's not just hey lets have cross play, for me it's more like how are you gunna make sure it's fair for everyone?

And to be honest when Sony wanted cross play last gen it was MS that was dumb but now when the tables have turned they are all for it. Nah I see why Sony might be like "**** you too now"
If your concern is parity across consoles, then you don't understand the problem. At best there's a Controller vs KB&M problem. And fairness is in the Developer's best interest.

As for last gen when it's claimed MS didn't want crossplay, that's false. They wanted it under their own terms. And considering XBL and PSL were not anywhere close to being on par for online services, I can understand why it didn't happen. You had a paid service versus a free service (Sony's paid online service not being mandatory), and there needed to be something to bridge that quality and accessibility gap. Now the 2 online services are pretty much on par.

At best there's a Controller vs KB&M problem.

What? Arent you talking about gaming on consoles right now? Now, if you are talking about PC gaming and console gaming together... sure maybe... you know how many people tell me using a controller is better? For some reason, more than what should be... And nowadays you can use just about any controller on PC. Keyboard and mouse it better, but that's always a debatable topic. And I'm pretty sure there's adaptations to using a keyboard and mouse for consoles... So, I don't think that's the issue really. You are probably right about the services being paid for and not. Online gaming for PC is free... but you can also modify your games (much more easily) and this is where the real problem lies with mixing PC gamers into it. Corrent me if I'm wrong...

Arg, I always forget to unwatch topics. I hate that default setting.. just because I reply doesnt mean I want to see everyone's reply to me. So, yea I probably won't see your reply, sorry.

What? Arent you talking about gaming on consoles right now? Now, if you are talking about PC gaming and console gaming together... sure maybe... you know how many people tell me using a controller is better? For some reason, more than what should be... And nowadays you can use just about any controller on PC. Keyboard and mouse it better, but that's always a debatable topic. And I'm pretty sure there's adaptations to using a keyboard and mouse for consoles... So, I don't think that's the issue really. You are probably right about the services being paid for and not. Online gaming for PC is free... but you can also modify your games (much more easily) and this is where the real problem lies with mixing PC gamers into it. Corrent me if I'm wrong...
Yes, talking about full crossplay (all consoles + PC). KB&M will always be more accurate when it comes to aiming, Controller is more comfy (and character movement is more precise vs WASD). You can't competitively put those 2 groups together and expect an even match. MS kind of officially supports KB&M on XB1 (maybe Sony too on the PS4), but I'm too lazy to confirm.

As for cheating, MS is trying to get the Universal Apps going on PC as another prevention for cheating (and as a power user, it suuuuper annoying to deal with, which hopefully means suuuper annoying to mod). But for Online competitive games, there usually is anti-cheat being used by the devs.

Arg, I always forget to unwatch topics. I hate that default setting.. just because I reply doesnt mean I want to see everyone's reply to me. So, yea I probably won't see your reply, sorry.
Yeah, I don't know why that's on by default AND tied to a cookie (not profile). But unless you changed profile setting to not get notifications on being quoted, you'll see this notification :p

The Microsoft consoles are junk, their software/OS is junk and if you don't pay for Gold you get the shaft.
I experience all types of issues with my 360S and X1.
F*** them and hats off to Sony.

People tend to forget about the past that's why I support Sony decision...

Did MS insult your mom or something? Why the heck would you be so nonchalantly against the option of playing with more people? As a gamer, I think this should've happened a loooong time ago for the good of all gamers.

When Sony wanted this MS played dumb now that Sony has all the advantages MS want the feature is that fair or good for you???

I hope Sony blocks this and if anyone want's to play with PS gamers just go and by a PS4

If your concern is parity across consoles, then you don't understand the problem. At best there's a Controller vs KB&M problem. And fairness is in the Developer's best interest.

As for last gen when it's claimed MS didn't want crossplay, that's false. They wanted it under their own terms. And considering XBL and PSL were not anywhere close to being on par for online services, I can understand why it didn't happen. You had a paid service versus a free service (Sony's paid online service not being mandatory), and there needed to be something to bridge that quality and accessibility gap. Now the 2 online services are pretty much on par.

Absolute nonsense, why would MS care if Sonys service is free or not, it's not money out of their pockets. I don't think you understand the issue here. It's not just "let's turn it on" There's a lot of other things to consider. Tell me how exactly is this a good thing for consumers? I don't have a problem finding an online game on a ps4, it's not as if there is a lack of players around and I doubt it's a problem on Xbox, and honestly I don't want to listen to any of the Xbox kids screaming "git gud ps4 fag" in my games either and I don't think you do. I really do not see any advantages here other than the player pool would be bigger but it isn't a problem, to begin with.

When Sony wanted this MS played dumb now that Sony has all the advantages MS want the feature is that fair or good for you???

I hope Sony blocks this and if anyone want's to play with PS gamers just go and by a PS4
I already went over why it didn't happen last generation in a previous reply. Your ignorance is noted. People tend to not try understanding the the past that's why I don't support Sony's decision...

Last edited:
Sony want to keep PS players on PS because if people start to see they most beloved game on other platforms and adding the fact that crossplay would allow them to keep they "buddy" list, there would be not big things holding people from going to another platform... That's what make PC gamers not loyal to Intel or AMD (taking fanboysm out of the question...), PC games run on PC hardware... The only thing that keep console games on their respective platform is exclusive littles and social circle of gaming friends. Open that up and the platform war will become a guerrilla.

Absolute nonsense, why would MS care if Sonys service is free or not, it's not money out of their pockets. I don't think you understand the issue here. It's not just "let's turn it on" There's a lot of other things to consider. Tell me how exactly is this a good thing for consumers? I don't have a problem finding an online game on a ps4, it's not as if there is a lack of players around and I doubt it's a problem on Xbox, and honestly I don't want to listen to any of the Xbox kids screaming "git gud ps4 fag" in my games either and I don't think you do. I really do not see any advantages here other than the player pool would be bigger but it isn't a problem, to begin with.
Wow, Epic just literally proved that it could be as easy as "let's turn it on". It's literally in the article above as they did it by accident.

And wow again, it would allow friends and gamers who bought different consoles to play together, which is very good for consumers. Like, did I really have to point that out for you? Because now I did, and I just can't take you seriously anymore.

It has nothing to do with increasing the size of the play pool. What it has to do with, for me at least, is being free to choose who I can play with. For example, I have a ton of friends on Twitch who I would love to game with, but not all of them play on PS4. It would be nice to be able to play with whomever I wanted, and if the ability to do that is already in play but disabled, that is somewhat disappointing.

Don't get me wrong. I do understand Sony's stance and I don't honestly blame them for taking it, but to dismiss the concept like it's stupid to even want something like this is shortsighted and narrow-minded. Not everyone cares one way or the other, but those that do, have valid reasons for feeling the way they do.

Your take on this is totally ludicrous. This is purely Sony loyalty talking. I have both consoles and a good gaming PC and I would love to see cross platform play between both consoles. It's dumb to block it in the first place. The only thing I think should be allowed are PC and console shooters. UNLESS there is an option to play with a mouse and keyboard on console. The advantage of mouse and keyboard is just too great for crossplay on shooters with PC. At least in terms of PvP multiplayer.

Sony needs to get their stuff together, I'm an Xbox fan and my wife is a PlayStation fan. Playing games together on our favorite consoles would be amazing.

Back