Error attempting to validate the Winsock base providers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwolf1100

Hi everone,

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to use IE7 for months, (firefox works, so I have put up with it) I haven't been able to get windows updates even with IEtab, I haven't been able to download from the itunes store. The IE log states "Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed. " I did download HighjackThis and will attach a log. I have read the forum. I am able to go to most websites with firefox, but microsoft update does not function. I have downloaded SP3 for windows XP (my operating system,yes I have SP2 ) But I am holding off installing it. Can someone please check the Highjack log. Or any advise to solve this problem

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    6.9 KB · Views: 8
Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = ÿÿÿÿ2 ‘|–‘|ë‘|;*.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,esubx.exe,
O20 - Winlogon Notify: CryptELib32 - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\esubx32.dll

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis. Reboot into safe mode.

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following (if present):

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll>
Yahoo! Messenger yinsthelper.dll denial of service vulnerability. A fix is not available from the vendor. As a workaround solution, do not visit untrusted sites. Alternatively, disable the yinsthelper ActiveX control on production systems.
Please note any other programs that you don't recognize in that list in your next response.

Using Windows Explorer (to get there right-click your Start button and go to "Explore"), please delete these files (if present):
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\esubx32.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,esubx.exe,

" Error attmpting to validate the Winsock base providers:"
Click Start, Run, type:
netsh winsock reset
Press Enter key
Restart the system

You can also try this software download from a working machine:
LSP-Fix
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Java is out of date. Current version is v6 u6. Update from:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
When current vesion is installed, go into the Cpntrol Panel> add/Remove Programs> uninstall all earlier versions of Java.

After that, Reboot, and post a new HijackThis log here in a reply

cannot delete esubx32.dll

I cannot delete esubx32.dll. It says access denied like it is running. Also The windows OS is XP Media Center. I had forgotten.

You will need to make sure though that it does not start when you boot, or it will not allow the uninstall or delete:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the process that is for this> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Now try a right click>delete.

subx32.dll deleted.

I was finally able to delete esubx32.dll, but had to a use MoveOnBoot free software I found on the internet. I followed the rest of the directions you gave. Attached is a new Hijack log.

It's still in the log:
Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.
O20 - Winlogon Notify: CryptELib32 - esubx32.dll (file missing)
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Userinit.exe,esubx.exe,

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis. Reboot

You also need to update the Java to latest which is v6 u65
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

After the download, reboot. The go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall the older version above.

Edit to add Java.

one other thing

I cannot install an updated Java. It says the installer cannot proceed with current internet connection settings. also ie7 still does not function yet.

Do this to try and resolve the Winsock reset:
:
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the system and see if IE will connect.

See if the Java update will install now.

When finished, attach new Hijack Log.

Still no IE

I did what you said, The second netsh item you listed gave no result, when right to prompt. Still no IE connectivity and Java update still does not install

Hang tight okay? I've asked Blind Dragon to take a look at the two R1 entries without any URLs We had HijackThis remove one, now two others are back..

i fixed!!!!!

i tried everything and some of the things i tried and didnt work were:

- run the cmd reseting stuff
- system restore
- unistalling the antivirus
- unistalling internet exploring 7
- and lot of other things i dont remember

one of the solutions i found googling was deleting some registry with my pc in safe mode but that was too much but while i was in "safe mode" the idea of the system restore came to me i knew i have done it before and didnt work but i havent do it in safe mode so i did it and ahhh!!! finally .....everthing came back wireless network and even the internet explore 7 i had unistalled .

so give this a try and please let know what happened.

for anyone who has this error when they try to acces the internet:
"Error attempting to validate the Winsock base providers: 2
error Not all base service provider entries could be found in the winsock catalog. A reset is needed"..bobbye

It is not wise to use information specifically given to someone in handling the items in their hijack logs. It is possible that something suggested might also be appropriate for another, but that should be determined on your log, not theirs.

please help

Hi everyone.

I am so ready to through my computer in the trash...

I had to reinstall windows xp on my hard drive, after doing so my computer runs great... but I can not get on the intenet. there were multiple errors so I ran lsp fix, winsockxpfix, and guidedhelp from microsoft. and nothing worked, for the most part, I have reduced the total # of errors to 1 and that is not being able to validate the winsock base providers:2 I have downloaded the hijackthis program but I need help to know what the problem is.
can anyone help me? I have attached the log file from hijaclthis.

Attachments

• hijackthis log.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 5
To able1: This thread was started a year ago. TS leaves it on the board for reference. However, you should have started your own thread describing your own problems before you started using programs on your own.

And to run programs like LSPFix and WinsockXPFix without being told to do it by your helper can get you into more trouble.

You have also run an outdated version of HijackThis. The current version is v2.0.2.

You have no antivirus program running.

If you would like help, Please move over to the Virus and Malware Cleaning forum. Follow the steps here:
https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Step1 will include recommendations for an AV program. That is your first priority.

On your new thread, follow this order:

• [1] Install and AV program. Run a full system scan and save the log.
    [2] Tell us what problems the system had leading to the reinstall.
    [3] Understand the the fix "TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2." may or may not have been appropriate for your system- at that time.
    [4] Run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.
    [5] Follow with new scan with correct version of HijackThis.

[6] Attach the three logs from the cleaning programs plus the AV log.

You will most surely have malware since you don't have an AV running. We'll review the logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back