Error Loading OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWF318

Hey guys,
I just put together my new PC and everything seems to work fine.It loads up the Gigabyte logo and I can go into Bios(Boot from CD is on). However, when I try to install Windows XP (SP2) from the OEM disc i bought, I get a black screen which lists the devices, and it says "Error Loading OS". Since there is only one IDE port, i put my HD and DVD-RW on the same cable. The DVD is master and HD slave. Does anybody know something i can do?

E6750
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Evga 9600GT
Gskill 2GB 800mhz
Corsair 450w

Booting

You are probably booting from the hard drive when you need to boot from the CD/DVD. When the computer is booting press the boot key, either F12 on some or ESC on others, and you will get a menu to boot from the CD/DVD. Or, you can sometimes change the boot order in the BIOS so the computer will boot from the optical drive first, but I don't recommend this because if the computer is the type where it doen't say "Press any key to boot from CD", it will again boot from the CD/DVD during the second part of the install when you then WANT it to boot from the hard drive. Good luck!

Thanks for the response but i actually made sure it was boot from CD/DVD first. I did find that the CD/DVD and its slave were on IDE channel 4. Is that a problem? I figured the first 3 channels were reserved for SATA but I'm running out of ideas.

Yes that seems right (Sata is on the others)

Your ATA HardDrive is that set for CS (Cable Select)
Also the CD Drive can be the same CS

If they were jumpered already to CS, please try Master for HDD and Slave for CD

I know that's strange but, it has worked. Usually CS is right (for the last 10years!) but sometimes only Master Slave configuration works.

Also please try another IDE cable, before posting back.

If your getting "Error loading OS" it's trying to boot from the hard drive, bypassing your DVD drive for some reason. Make sure the Windows CD is clean, and do try the boot menu key, displayed when you first turn on the computer. I don't know much about channels since I never built a computer from scratch. I installed a few DVD drives tho. Of course, in a different way than the person stated above, try cable select instead of master/slave on both the HD and the DVD drive.Make sure the cable is seated in the DVD drive also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back