Errors when burning discs

D

Dalton

Occasionally I will get errors in my event viewer when I burn a music dvd or data disc. The errors are, device cdrom has a bad block and nvgts errors. If nvgts is to do with nvidia then what would that have to do with my dvd writer? I noticed after that dvd was made it had a cyclic redundancy check errors on it and it was a brand new disc. Also it gave me crc errors and the same errors in event viewer of cdrom and nvgts when trying to copy the disc contents to the hard drive. What I don't get is what would cause these errors when burning a disc and how did a brand new disc get crc errors? If anyone can help me that would be great. Thank You!

Replace it. Asus, LG, Lite-On, Samsung, Plextor, and Pioneer all have DVD-RW optical drives in the $18 to $30 price range. Why put up with a troublesome unit when they are so inexpensive.
Optical drives, DVD-Rw drives wear out quickly... depend on it to fail within a year, and if used a lot it can fail in five months.

Well actually this dvd writer is pretty much brand new. I purchased it less than a month ago which is strange why i'm getting these errors but I was reading somewhere about nForce chipsets and issues with SATA optical drives so maybe getting an IDE drive would be worth a try?

The errors are usually about data or images you are trying to record... but can result from anything... source, slow computer, memory overload, defects in the material resulting from the originala source...

New drives can be bad, too, as you are aware.

Perhaps a more experienced member of the list has better ideas.

So far it seems it's mainly happening with memorex dvd-r dual layer discs, I wonder if maybe the dics aren't very good. I'm still trying to figure out if it's those type of discs or not and if it happens on other types then it must be the drive not working right with my hardware or the drive itself, just a guess.

So far it seems it's mainly happening with memorex dvd-r dual layer discs, I wonder if maybe the dics aren't very good. I'm still trying to figure out if it's those type of discs or not and if it happens on other types then it must be the drive not working right with my hardware or the drive itself, just a guess.

Drives are very picky with DL. Try a DVD+R DL or stick to DVD-5.

That could be. I am sorry I never thought of that myself. We have had a LOT of trouble with Memorex disks... particularly the DL disks...

Well thanks for the replies everyone but I came to the conclusion that it was in fact the memorex dvd dl discs, at least it seems that way so far. I purchased some different brand discs and so far no problems at all. I ended up throwing 9/10 of those memorex discs out lol. Thanks again for the replies!

Thanks for the update... It is sad to know that Memorex is now on its third or fourth year of sub-quality disks... (and DVD drives that fail.)

Back