Ethernet plugged in, but LAN icon missing?

So, my mom brought home this computer and I started it up, and it was brand new, like, operating system still not installed. So, I popped in the cd that was in a case that came with it [everything matching the system settings, etc.] and installed the operating system. So, I'm thinking: Huh, what luck! ...Wrong. I plugged in the Ethernet chord to connect it to the internet, and it's not even pulling up an LAN Icon. So, I go into Device Managers, and the Network Adapter is missing. So, I'm lost. Any of you smart people got any advice?

After you installed the operating system, did you install all of the drivers including the LAN driver?

If you don't know what mailpup is talking about, this should make things clear. Did you new computer "out of the box" come with two CD's? One CD would be for installing an Operating System and or Operating System repair, the second should be a "drivers" CD!

It's been a very long time since I bought an already store made computer, such as the one your Mother brought home. But I remember, like maybe 5 to 6 years ago, my store bought computer came with those two CD's, system disk and driver disk. If you got that second CD I would advise you take it out and put it into the CD-ROM drive and let it fly. Most of these pre-made drivers disks are "auto launching" it will place all the required drivers where needed, your network drivers included.

After these types of disks finish, a re-boot will be required, do that and I'll bet you that when your system comes back up, you'll more than likely see that network icon stuff. Always not a bad idea, even after this process is done, even if the computer says it's 100%, check your "device manager" anyways, just to be sure.

If you do not have the drivers CD then just go onto the manufacturers website and they will have a drivers section where you will be able to download the network drivers.

Back