Ethernet working but with wireless no internet access

Daniel5

Just to note, I'm not much of a computer expert so I might need help understanding what you gurus are saying.
Ever since yesterday, the internet had stopped working using either ethernet or wireless. On the network and sharing center, the line between the computer and the network was fine, but there was an X between the network and the internet. I reset the router and turned the modem and router off for an hour after that. After that, when I connected the ethernet from the router to the computer, there was internet access and the X was gone but when I took out the cable, wireless still had an X. I checked my iPhone and other PC and wireless didn't work on either. I'm not sure how to fix this so some help would be great.
Thanks.

Need more info. Laptop? tower? Have you tried right clicking the wireless icon & clicking Trouble shooting? I've had similiar situations & done that. If its a laptop, is there a key/switch that might of gotten bumped off?

Put this together "After that, when I connected the ethernet from the router to the computer, there was internet access and the X was gone"

then start->search and type CMD and enter
on the b/w screen type
ping 8.8.8.8
should respond like
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=54
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=54​
then type
ping google.com
should respond like
Pinging google.com [216.58.219.46] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.219.46: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=53
Reply from 216.58.219.46: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=53​
These tell you that the system and networking are correct, but sometimes you get the first one working, but not the second one - - that's typically a DNS issue.

So what to you see?

Need more info. Laptop? tower? Have you tried right clicking the wireless icon & clicking Trouble shooting? I've had similiar situations & done that. If its a laptop, is there a key/switch that might of gotten bumped off?
It is a laptop, and I did not switch anything on it.

Put this together "After that, when I connected the ethernet from the router to the computer, there was internet access and the X was gone"

on the b/w screen type
ping 8.8.8.8
should respond like
then type
ping google.com
should respond like
These tell you that the system and networking are correct, but sometimes you get the first one working, but not the second one - - that's typically a DNS issue.

So what to you see?

I typed in ping 8.8.8.8, it is the same except there are 4 replies which are the same as yours though you have only two. There is also ping statistics and approximate round trip time below that though I am pretty sure that is irrelevant.
I typed in ping google.com and is the same as yours but with 4 replies.

Great - - yes I truncated the results - - got times for both and no errors SO tcp is ok.
Using the wired up connection, your browser should be fine too - - please verify that . . .

on the b/w screen type
ping 8.8.8.8
should respond like
then type
ping google.com
should respond like

So what to you see?

Ok, do as jobeard suggested. :)
Great - - yes I truncated the results - - got times for both and no errors SO tcp is ok.
Using the wired up connection, your browser should be fine too - - please verify that . . .
My browser is working fine with the cable.

Ok, this is as I suspected; now let's repeat for the WiFi.

disconnect the wired, enable your wifi and get connected. POST #8 above has two pictures and you should have the same as the one on the right. If so, repeat the two PINGs from post #3
[a] ping 8.8.8.8
ping google.com

I suspect [a] will work but not

Ok, this is as I suspected; now let's repeat for the WiFi.

disconnect the wired, enable your wifi and get connected. POST #8 above has two pictures and you should have the same as the one on the right. If so, repeat the two PINGs from post #3
[a] ping 8.8.8.8
ping google.com

I suspect [a] will work but not
When I take out the wire, the icon is neither of the above you posted, it has the white bars but with an exclamation point, so when I try the ping for either 8.8.8.8 or google, both do not work and it states destination not reachable, which I am guessing is because there is no connection to the internet.

When I take out the wire, the icon is neither of the above you posted, it has the white bars but with an exclamation point,
OOPS, that's a wifi driver problem. You need to reinstall or update it (using a wired internet of course)

OOPS, that's a wifi driver problem. You need to reinstall or update it (using a wired internet of course)
I think I've finally figured out the issue. Searched literally the whole internet, think I found the problem. It was a problem of the modem interfering with the router, so I now realize that buying another router was completely unnecessary(Yes, I bought one yesterday) because I bought it and installed it and the same problem persisted. It seems I have to call the town to make my modem "bridged" though I don't fully understand.

Think about that - - Wired works but WiFi doesn't, CLEARLY it is not the modem and bridge mode will not be a solution.

When the device manager shows a yellow flag on the adapter, then it's a driver issue,

Back