Every major PC maker to use Tegra 2 in tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Nvidia may be taking its time entering the DirectX 11 market, but it reportedly tied up 500 engineers and $600 million to develop the second-generation Tegra, and is prepared to cash in on the "year of the tablet" with various firms "lining up" at the company's door, according to Tech Eye's inside source.

The system-on-a-chip was supposedly very difficult to produce, and contains eight independent processors, including dual ARM Cortex A9 cores. It's about four times faster than its predecessor, handling up to six hours of Internet video streaming, 12 hours of stored HD content, 140 hours of music, 3D graphics, and Adobe Flash. The chip was demonstrated running Unreal Engine 3, which powers games like BioShock, Mass Effect, and Gears of War.

It's believed that MSI's upcoming tablet will use the Tegra 2, but Tech Eye's source says "every major PC maker will be including Tegra in its tablet line-up this year," including Dell.

Permalink to story.

After being disappointed with the many essential features being left out of the iPad (USB ports, SD card reader, Flash Player), I hope that competitors will use the Tegra chip to produce a tablet that is not crippled like the iPad.

There's a nice chunk of change for Nvidia and ARM :) AMD *really* needs to put something/anything in this segment.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of some real tablet PCs. Even before the hilarious joke called the iPad, I had my eyes on the Tegra 2 platform and its potential. I'll gladly give my money to the Green Team over the Forbidden Fruit any day.

NVidia really has a Market-Ripper with this Tegra 2 product. May Intel's soul rest in peace......Amen

check out notion ink's adam tablet. It uses the tegra2 its freakin awesome

Is there word on how much it costs and how much the tablets will cost with them in it? I too think the iPad is fairly useless compared to whichever netbook it is that has the touch screen that flips around so the netbook can act like a tablet.

I watched the unveiling of the iPad with Jobs and even with his Reality Distortion Field I was still entirely unimpressed.

/I own 3 Macs and several iPods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back