Expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_c:windows\system32

Status
Not open for further replies.

librarylover

Okay, I've followed the directions because my ntoskrnl.exe file is missing.

**Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file

If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the error. To restore this file follow the below steps.

Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.
Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
Type exit to reboot the computer. **

When I type in the command: expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_c:\windows\system32, I get the following message: the system cannot find the file or directory specified.

Now what?

And, yes, presume correctly that I know very little about this aspect of computers....

This may just be a typo, but there needs to be a space between the ex_ and the c:\...
First part is the file, second part is the target

Thanks so much! On both of the sites I checked with my other computer, I couldn't see the space. I'll try that right now.

Okay, that worked to a point. Now, when I reboot the computer, do I reboot it from the disk or just straight reboot?

before I go to the Home Repair link, does the affected computer need to be hooked up to the internet, or is this a link I can use to follow the steps?

The repair steps are just a guide
You don't need Internet setup to repair Windows

Note repairing Windows will not hurt any of your data
But you will need to re-activate using your Windows key (usually stuck on the side of your computer case)
If you have issues re-installing your valid key, you just need to call MS and explain what happened, they usually (ie always for me) allow the key then to be activated without issue

The only issue (other than re-activation) is that you do lose all updated service packs and security fixes. ie If your Windows setup CD is XP SP2, then that's what it'll be when you finish. You will then need to update to the current SP3, when finished

I've only installed one new item recently ~ an HP printer. If I can just get my Word files back, I'd be so happy. As a home schooling mother of 6, all of my grades/class assignments, etc. are in there. I could just kick myself for not backing those files up last week when I thought about it!!!

Here goes...

Using the home repair set-up steps, I made it through part 1 (pressing F8 to accept the terms). Part 2 does not look anything like the next step on my computer. On their screen, repairing the system is mentioned. On my screen, I'm getting information about Partitioned spaces.

Wait I'll check that step, and reply again........

So you definitely don't see this step?

Image6b.gif

As per the guide, this is after pressing F8 to accept
And is also the second R prompt (the first R prompt just takes you to the Recovery Console which we don't need)

Maybe reply back with more info
But really confirm that you did each step first, and exactly which step looks different

Also this is a standard Windows Setup CD?

To give you a bit more information, I still have a blue Windows XP Home Edition Setup window.

I'm giving the choice of setting up Windows XP on the selected item, or creating a partition in the unpartitioned space, or to delete the selected partition. I'm just about afraid to do anything...

And I check my back-up files. They go back to Oct. of 2008. Ugh! I'm really kicking myself here.

BTW, the partitioned space has a C: right before it. The unpartitioned space is 8 mb, but doesn't have a drive listed before it.

It reads: "Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Including Service Pack 1a"

ok well I like Dell

They have some excellent guides too, but you just need to find them ;)
By the way, this disc you have may not even have Repair as an option, ie it might just be a full Recover and that's that ! (ie don't continue !!)

Go back to the Ultimate Boot CD idea (it is a big download I know)
Back up your data fully (I use a USB flash drive to back up to)

Then fully recover your Dell computer
Then install SP2
Then install SP3

Do I download it to this computer and then burn it to a CD?

Using this computer to download can be extremely difficult. We live WAY out in the boonies and can't even get high speed internet for any price. We're still on dial up. And that creates problems with a lot of downloads situations. Man, it took nearly a year of trying before we could get iTunes to download so the kids could use their iPods.

"dial up" and you have a SP1a "Restore" disc , and Windows is faulty !

I can't think what's next, but I'm sure we'll get to that ;)

Hmm, other than using a "live" BootCd to back up your data, you could do this (here we go..)

Remove all power
Take off the side cover (we aren't talking laptop I hope)
locate the internal Harddrive, and remove it

Plug the internal harddrive into another working computer (I usually put it in place of the CD\DVD drive) ie we are connecting it as a "Slave" or secondary harddrive, not primary

Then turn on that computer
Windows will find a new "slave" harddrive (just like when you plug in a USB flash drive
Then using "My Computer" explore (browse) your harddrive trying to recover all data

Does this sound hard?

It does sound a bit difficult. My husband will be home later this evening (and I have to take my third child out for his piano lesson). I'll leave all of this information up for him to see. Maybe he can work it out.

I really do appreciate all of your help.

I'm just really disheartened because I haven't backed my files up on my memory stick since last October. As a home schooler and a lead 4-H advisor, that's sooooo stupid! If my husband can't get this worked out, I'll have so much to rebuild. I'm just glad that I've made the kids save all of their paperwork and that I printed grade cards in January. Sigh!

It means the disc or drive cannot be made bootable, possibly corrupt or non existent
Yes BSOD is that

And please continue on this thread, creating a new thread just caused me to check all your details, and you came up close to a very old banned user (with a few thou. posts, I really hope that's not you)

By the way is this you: https://www.techspot.com/vb/customprofilepics/profilepic169434_1.gif
Your IP seems to be used um hmm by over 100 members here ! You say that you're at home on Dial-up?

Okay, this is getting a bit weird for me. Other than joining last night, I've never been on a board like this. I'm only active at Bestsellers and Literature (Saundra Kane is the board owner and can vouch for my integrity if need be...) on Yuku.com. That's why I'm using the name librarylover. So I'm not your "very old banned user."

As for creating a new thread, since I came up with a new message on my computer, I thought maybe I should start a new thread. Please refer to the very last line of my first post.

I don't know if I'm connected to that link or not. Right now, you've made me a bit afraid to try it.

I have no idea what a 100-member IP is. And, yes, I'm at home on dial-up with netzero. Immediately doubting the sincereity of new posters (unless they're trying to promote their product, etc) is a bit odd, I think.

At this point, I'm thinking I'll just call a friend who's a computer analyst at a larger hospital in Cincinnati. If he doesn't have the time to help, I may take the computer in to a private establishment to see what they can do.

I came on this board sincerely seeking help and, honestly, I'm quite hurt that you sent a general message on this thread which implies that I'm some spammer or something for all the world to see. If you had any questions about me, I do believe you could've politely asked me through my email address or something.

This is so very difficult for me. Due to my own stupidity (in not backing my files up for several months and, believe me, I do know better than that), I've just lost untold home schooling records and I'm so stressed and overwhelmed that I can hardly think. I know for sure that my children will lose at least an entire weeks' worth of school (if not 2 or 3) because I'll have to spend every available minute rebuilding so many files/documents.

I've called my friend and he's going to talk me through some things when he gets off work. I didn't call him before because he's a busy man with four children of his own. Maybe he can think of something I haven't already tried. If not, I'll take the computer in to a local establishment to see what they can do.

And I honestly would like to know how 100 people can be using my computer. We bought this computer used in SW Ohio, but we've never had any problems.

My edited in comment about 100 users on your IP address, did seem strange to me, so that's why I asked.
Certainly if I had thought you as a "spammer", you would have been gone in a moment.
Obviously I had not fully concluded this issue, so I brought it up as some type of question.

I suspect that being on Dial-up, your IP will be changed on every dial up, and other users using the same Server (Internet service) have also joined TechSpot. (Small world - but that's that.)

Anyway, if you can avoid paying someone, I'm sure I could talk you through all this.
It is certainly your choice.

:)

Okay, I understand a little better now. To my overloaded mind, all I could read was that I my IP address flagged me as some previous evil poster. It's almost comical because you have no idea how long it took me to figure out what you meant by SP2 and SP3. :) Hopefully, you can forgive me, too.

With regards to my computer, I just don't know what else to do. I've run the chkdsk /r (it took nearly 8 hours and ran while I was sleeping) and came up with another message. It's not on the screen now because my husband tried something different. As best as I can remember, it stated that my windows system 32 was missing. There was a third word that I think came between windows and system 32. Something like windows/????/system32.

My husband was wondering if we could use a dual-ended USB cord to retrieve the files from the Dell and send them to this HP computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back