Explorer.exe crashes, returns Dhcp-Client error

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromaster114

Okay, so my Tablet PC which is running Windows Vista Ultimate is crashing a lot lately... about once or twice every few hours.

Explorer.exe crashes, then restarts eventually...
After it restarts and I look at the system log, it shows at the time of the crash, an error about the Dhcp-Client.
It says "The IP address lease <insert current IP> for the Network Card with network address <insert MAC ID> has been denied by the DHCP server <router IP address>. (The DHCP server sent a DHCPNACK message.)"

I'm not sure why, but every time I've gotten this error like this repetitively when explorer crashes, I've had to reload the OS to get it to act normally again.

I don't see why a DHCP error is crashing explorer.exe.
Anyone know anything about this?

Do you have Norton or Symantec. What other security. This is a Ethernet error usually caused by what is called a SYMTDI dependency in the registry. If you remove that, DHCP will usually start normally. The starting range of the CHCP pool is off kilter. This has been often reported as caused by security software, most often Symantec.
Try changing your lease time to perhaps 60 minutes. Your machine will then be expected to renew its address every 30 minutes. You might also try changing your router address from 192.169.1.1 to something different, like 192.168.1.6 or other suggested by your router manual.
Be careful as it could be a sign that your network security has been compromised. Somebody could be trying remote code execution. Be certain all networks and patches are up to date, by checking for downloads. Do any users have incorrectly assigned rights? It could be a case of a hacker or stoopidity stopping DHCP Client Services and that blocks your system from signing in properly to the network.

If the DHCPNACK message doesn't solve the issue and it continues to happen and if the suggested fix doesn't solve the problem, call the ISP and ask what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back