Explorer.exe not responding / running slow

[Solved] Explorer.exe not responding / running slow

I recently started having a problem opening files and programs on my pc. Startup has also gotten really slow and I don't understand what the problem is. Going into My Computer and just searching through some files takes 10x longer than normal, if not longer. Often it results in Explorer.exe not responding. Programs on the other hand take 2 minutes to open up when before it would take seconds.

If I start the computer in safe mode I do not have the problem. I assume since windows explorer runs properly in safe mode that the problem is being caused by something that loads in normal mode. How do I figure out what is causing the problem?

Here is what I have tried so far:
- I used Advanced System Care v5.1 Pro and did a deep scan.
- I have tried a virus scan with BitDefender.
- I have run registry mechanic on the system.
- I have disabled all third party startup items under msconfig
- I have run ShellExView and stopped all third party extensions
None seem to help.

Edit: - I have not restored to a time before the problem occurred because there were not restore points available before the problem occurred.

I think you may just need a 'clean and polish'. Your HDD should be tested for read problems (run chkdsk /r) then all unnecessary temporary files and Internet cache ahould be cleaned out (ccleaner), finally defragment (auslogics disk defrag)

system {XP,Vista,Win/7} and version {pro,basic,ultimate} ???

Installed Antivirus? Firewall?

get a command prompt and enter tasklist>myTasks.txt
copy & paste the contents of myTasks.txt

gbhall - I have done everything mentioned and I'm still have the problem.

joebeard - I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. Nothing popped up after typing this, tasklist>myTasks.txt, in the command prompt. I opened myTasks.txt and it was empty.

try it again from an Admin Login or
runas /user:administrator cmd and provide the password
and then enter tasklist >myTasks.txt

So after playing around with some startup services I finally narrowed it down to a microsoft service that is causing the problem.

Shell Hardware Detection

I don't really know what to do from here. How important is this to run?

So after playing around with some startup services I finally narrowed it down to a microsoft service that is causing the problem.
Shell Hardware Detection
I guess you STOPPED the service and the system responds better???
I don't really know what to do from here. How important is this to run?
Not at all -- It controls AUTOPLAY, which frankly can be considered to be a risk.
Consider; You pop in a cd and the autoplay does it's thing - - but how do you know that was safe?
The ONLY way to safely do this is to disable autoplay (there is a registry fix) so as to
allow you to use your A/V software to scan the autoplay files, eg autorun, setup, *.ini

Yes, I turned off the service and the system is running without any issues. Just a smooth as day 1.

Will keeping it off interrupt plugging in an external hard drive as well?

don't think so, as HDD (even a USB attachment) is not an AUTOPLAY event - -
they are MOUNTed devices.

Even if a usb thumbdrive has an autoplay installed, the drive STILL mounts and you get control to Explore / Run anything on it :)

PS: I just disabled the service, inserted my USB thumbdrive and got everything I expected :)

I had a problem with that same service and found uninstalling all ati software, not the drivers tho, helped. It was a type of tuner/video card that had such software. The card has since blown out due to a power blip. Also, try scanning with malwarebytes anti-malware which can be searched for, and a link occurs on Techspot's anti malware forum.

I seem to have the same problem wiht a Windows 7 machine and I followed the same approach but when I try to stop the Shell Hardware Detection service, it says Access is Denied. I am the administrator on this computer. I cannot get past this. Any ideas?

I think this is your hard drive error related problem ...check HDD errors then re-installing windows. it will solved the problem also check for Heat related proublem..

Back