Extending Houghs net connection

By allen123
Jul 13, 2010
  1. I need to extend my internet connection to another building about 300 yards from my house. I've been told that wireless is not an option because of trees. What do I need to make this happen? I was told that coax was best. I plan to bury part of this and part will be elevated. What is the best hardware and what kind of coax do I need? Thanks. Allen
  2. jobeard

    jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,166   +986

    First, if you bury the connection, then it needs to be within a conduit as water and rodents would destroy it rather quickly.
    Secondly, you need EXTERNAL wiring and not the more common internal grade coax.

    What is your ISP service now; Cable? If so, I would negotiate with the service provider to have a modem installed in the second building, Thus would defeat Print/File sharing but would give more reliability.

    If you attempt something like
    isp == modem --- building#1.router  - - - building#2 ---
    the the link between buildings WILL be ethernet cable and not coax. I would go with cat6 shielded and still place it withing a conduit. The 300 yards is at the hairy edge of the 100meter limit for a end-to-end connection, so you may need a repeater buried in the middle. Run the power on the ethernet
    itself using PoE

    You need a repeater and a PoE device may be expensive.
    google for "power over ethernet repeater"
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...