External antenna opinion wanted

Doctor Gallop

I live in Las Vegas, NV. and I'm using a Clear Hub Wireless 4G Express as my wireless connection for my Desk Top PC [ Windows 7 ]
I contacted Clear Support and did every thing they told me to do to try to improve the signal but the reception is still terrible.
On a good day I only get 2 lights out of 5 on the unit. Can anyone recommend a decent correct kind of external antenna that might help. It has to be cheap because I don't know if it will even help.
Thank you.

You want something like this
upload_2014-9-5_7-55-57.jpeg -- that's a MIMO router - - use google to search for that term.

Secondly, place the router near an exterior wall or window.

You want something like this
View attachment 79006 -- that's a MIMO router - - use google to search for that term.

Secondly, place the router near an exterior wall or window.

Thank you my friend, please don't think I am being sarcastic, but I can't afford a new router. That is one of the main reasons I am asking for help in this forum. I am out of work. I'm forced to make use of this piece of garbage one Clear Wireless gave me.
As far as putting any router near a window goes.....as I mentioned, Clear Wireless Support tech had me standing on my head and any other trick he could think of, including hanging myself half way out the window, and it still did not help.

Note: I did try ti hold a large piece of tin foil near the back of the unit and I did get 4 lights on the router. That's why I thought maybe a decent antenna would help.
I will go an buy a cheap one on my own...I was just hoping someone would have an idea as to what kind I might try.

....Try and view some interesting ideas of home made WiFi antennas that my be of some
help on "You-Tube"...Also consider if you can rotate the WiFi unit (friends help would be nice) on the laptop or tower and watch signal of the computer (Windows bar graph) or the manufacture of the computer there WiFi signal meter.. Also place a 12x12 or bigger sheet of Aluminum foil under the WiFi router to make a more directional path towards the computer...Alot of experimenting will help...Windows does have a WiFi adapter card properties and see if you can "Just Look" at the real reason, maybe by adjusting the Xitt/Recv settings, but do rite down the info so that you can go back to orignal settings...SR...

....Try and view some interesting ideas of home made WiFi antennas that my be of some
help on "You-Tube"...Also consider if you can rotate the WiFi unit (friends help would be nice) on the laptop or tower and watch signal of the computer (Windows bar graph) or the manufacture of the computer there WiFi signal meter.. Also place a 12x12 or bigger sheet of Aluminum foil under the WiFi router to make a more directional path towards the computer...Alot of experimenting will help...Windows does have a WiFi adapter card properties and see if you can "Just Look" at the real reason, maybe by adjusting the Xitt/Recv settings, but do rite down the info so that you can go back to orignal settings...SR...

Thank you for your great advice, RCAVictor,
I scouted around Youtube like you suggested and sure enough there were lots of remedies to my problem for me to at least try.
One specific and simple thing I was told to do was......look around the room that the wireless receiver is in. See if there is any large picture / frame or perhaps a large mirror on the wall facing the Tower from where I am receiving the Clear Wireless wi-fi signal.
If there was any such object I should take it down off and away from the wall and see if that helps.
I did have a large 3' x 5' mirror on that specific wall. When I took it down off the wall, I started receiving a much stronger signal. Problem Solved!

A buddy of mine use to work at a draw bridge where he had to open the bridge every hour. Needless to say he had a lot of downtime so he made a "cantenna" out of a pringles can. He spent about $10.00 at Radio Shack plus he had pringles for lunch. He could get 5 bars from an unsecured network in a condo complex about a quarter mile away. This was over water which helped too. Good luck!

Thank you for your great advice, RCAVictor,
I scouted around Youtube like you suggested and sure enough there were lots of remedies to my problem for me to at least try.
One specific and simple thing I was told to do was......look around the room that the wireless receiver is in. See if there is any large picture / frame or perhaps a large mirror on the wall facing the Tower from where I am receiving the Clear Wireless wi-fi signal.
If there was any such object I should take it down off and away from the wall and see if that helps.
I did have a large 3' x 5' mirror on that specific wall. When I took it down off the wall, I started receiving a much stronger signal. Problem Solved!

I'm glad to have been some help for you and your "Adventeurs" of WiFi world,
and signals are in the "GRREEN", appears better than the Customer support
that you had to experiance with....SR...

Back