External hard drive -- assign drive automatically

Hi guys,

I have a problem whereby an external hard drive won't assign a drive letter automatically. I have used Disk Management many times to assign it manually, but when I disconnect & reconnect the drive, I have to go through it all again in order to read the disk (i.e. it doesn't automatically assign a drive when reconnected).

Does anyone know what I can do to restore the "plug & play" nature of my drive?

It is a Samsung Story 2TB (USB 2.0 version).

Maybe not important, but the reason this problem started was because one of my friends took photos/videos at my wedding, and he has a Mac so I formatted the drive with Mac Drive to copy all the stuff across. When I got it home (and had copied everything), I re-formatted the partition as NTFS.

Viewing it in Disk Management, the only partition on the disk is the NTFS volume, and there doesn't appear to be any errors.

Thanks,
Tys

thanks LookingAround, but unfortunately that does not work.

It correctly asked me to install the drivers again once I reconnected the hard drive, but did not follow it up by assigning a drive letter to it.

For some reason it just keeps missing that step!

I've tried it on another computer and it's the same, so the problem is with the drive somehow. It just doesn't make sense given that disk management says the partition is fine!

Back