External HD won't appear in My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
as the title says it, my WD external won't appear on my Windows Vista computer but it works fine on other computers. Whenever i plug it in, it says i can safely remove the external but it doesn't show up and whenever i try to open My Computer, it goes to not responding. I've had this HD for about a year or 2, any on fixing this problem?

Bad cable.
Incorrect settings on jumpers.
Bad hard drive.
You must tell us brand, model, age of comptuer, and more about the hard drive... SATA or EIDE? As it is, you have not given us enough information to help you.

Hi,
as the title says it, my WD external won't appear on my Windows Vista computer but it works fine on other computers. Whenever i plug it in, it says i can safely remove the external but it doesn't show up and whenever i try to open My Computer, it goes to not responding. I've had this HD for about a year or 2, any on fixing this problem?
1) I assume this is a USB external WD drive? Which WD drive is it?
2) Does the external drive come with its own A/C power cord? or no?

Also, a couple generic troubleshooting guides/steps to start
See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]
See [post=727106]How to use the DriveCleanupTool[/post]

Bad cable.
Incorrect settings on jumpers.
Bad hard drive.
You must tell us brand, model, age of comptuer, and more about the hard drive... SATA or EIDE? As it is, you have not given us enough information to help you.

umm......
the brand of the hard drive is a Western Digital (WD)
I'm not too sure about the model but it is 120gb
the computer i'm trying to get it to work on is about 3 to 4 months old and it uses windows vista, its a custom made computer
not sure wat SATA or EIDE is (im not very good with the technology)

and to lookinaround, when i plug in the external it just works but doesn't show up in My Computer

Do things in this order
> See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]
Re-test problem

> Run the drivecleanup tool. See [post=727106]How to use the DriveCleanupTool[/post]
Re-test the problem

If problem still persists, see this post. [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]
> specifically start by checking if the 2 drivers are being loaded for your WD hard drive: USB Mass Storage and Disk driver

Let us know if any questions/still need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back