External HDD falling asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

Well i manage to fix my internal hdd from doing that, thanks to you guys a while back. But i downloaded 2 files last night, just woke up and they haven't finish, and i notice when i was trying to delete them, it was a slight pause, and my external hdd seems to be sleep, then woke up, how do i fix this so it can stay on all night when i have my computer on?

thanks

What brand of external? Did it come with software? This will allow you to turn the sleep mode off or change the amount of time before it goes to sleep.

YOu want to disable windows sleep mode:
>> on your usb devices (Dev manager, rt click on Root and/or Generic hubs, i forget which. Look for Power Management tab
>> You also need make sure your Network Adapter doesn't go to sleep either (via device manager as well)

Under the hubs the option is not check , but under network this option is check:

allow this computer to turn off this device to save power

But last night i save 3 files to my internal and 2 to the external and the ones to the external did not finish, but the ones to the internal did.?????????

coulda been luck where files saved on external were bigger or at least took longer to download and save then the one on internal... so file on internal drive got downloaded/saved BEFORE the network adapter went to sleep?

(am only speculating here). in any case, be sure you don't allow Windows to turn off the net adapter and try again. see if you then still or don't have the problem anymore after that

/* EDIT */
Or possible the files were downloaded sequentially? First the ones to your internal? And then it started the files to external but the net adapter went to sleep during those

coulda been luck where files saved on external were bigger or at least took longer to download and save then the one on internal... so file on internal drive got downloaded/saved BEFORE the network adapter went to sleep?

(am only speculating here). in any case, be sure you don't allow Windows to turn off the net adapter and try again. see if you then still or don't have the problem anymore after that

/* EDIT */
Or possible the files were downloaded sequentially? First the ones to your internal? And then it started the files to external but the net adapter went to sleep during those

Yea , thanks. I will be sure to try it tonight and see how it works out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back