External USB 3.0 drive causing BSOD -- can't see it in disk management or explorer

Firstly please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place or broken any rules! Noob alert!

ok, I currently have two 2tb verbatim usb3 external HDD. one works perfectly and the other has recently started giving me BSOD for some strange reason. I tried to format the drive and that is when it all started. now whenever I power up the drive it crashes the pc straight away. Pc will not boot with drive turned on. The other 2tb drive works just fine. Dead drive? well I sent the drive to verbatim (seagate barracuda) under warrranty to be repaired and recieved it two days ago. I plugged it in, powered up and all was fine. I then went into disk management to format the drive to NTFS and bang....BSOD and drive is completely invisible and as soon as its powered on it crashes the pc. I already have no hair left so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh one more thing, before returning the drive to verbatim I tried it on another pc and had the same problem. I have been unable to try this with the new/supposedly fixed drive as yet.

Attachments

• 021112-9812-01.zip
    415 bytes · Views: 1
  • 020912-24710-01.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 1
This may not be a external hard drive problem at all. Your minidumps point to a CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Ntoskrnl.exe

What are your computers specs, including power supply and memory specs? This may be related to not enough power to the PC's components

Thanks for speedy reply. PSU is OCZ 700w. Just plugged the HDD into an old pc upstairs running xp and it crashed that too. Strange thing is when I plug it into my cyclone media player it shows up fine and recognises all files on the drive which was supposed to be formatted!!

more specs attatched. Have turned all overclock off etc....everything running standard.1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

"Just plugged the HDD into an old pc upstairs running xp and it crashed that too"...

Does the external enclosure use its own power source? If so, the enclosure itself could be the problem and not the drive

"Just plugged the HDD into an old pc upstairs running xp and it crashed that too"...

Does the external enclosure use its own power source? If so, the enclosure itself could be the problem and not the drive

Hi, yes it does have external power. I also thought it may be the enclosure the first time this happened (before returning under warranty) and so took the sata drive out and plugged directly to motherboard first and other verbatim enclosure after that with the same results (disk not seen on any sata port, crashes pc). The original enclosure was slightly damaged and the new one returned by verbatim is new so I presume the caddy is new but HDD still the same as my files are still there when plugged into cyclone media player. I would prefer not to take the disk out as they may get all funny about the[warranty sticker on the case being broken if i have to return it yet again!

I would send it back yet again along with a detailed problem report

I'ts looking like I may have to. Was kind of hoping the blue screen may throw up a clue to somebody in the know which certainly isn't me:eek:. Many thanks for all your help, much appreciated. I think I'll have a tinker about with it for a few days and see if i can find the magic click that fixes it all for me first:D

Back