Facebook clamps down on video clickbait

midian182

Staff member

For all the effort put into fighting the problem, clickbait is still one of the worst elements of Facebook. But the site continues to clamp down on such posts and will now be improving its “integrity of information” by targeting video clickbait.

In a blog post, Facebook explains that it will demote items in the News Feed that feature fake video play buttons embedded into an image or videos containing only a static image.

With the platform’s focus on promoting video, these type of clickbait stories are on the rise. Many users click on fake play buttons assuming it will start the clip; instead, they’re often directed to dubious websites that contain malicious ads.

The static images disguised as videos, which also link to low-quality sites, are used to trick Facebook’s algorithms. The company will start using a “motion scoring” system that detects movement inside a video to classify and demote these clips, according to TechCrunch.

While the social network won’t be completely deleting these posts, they will be downranked, meaning they’re more likely to be buried in the Feed.

“Publishers that rely on these intentionally deceptive practices should expect the distribution of those clickbait stories to markedly decrease,” Facebook wrote. “Most Pages won’t see significant changes to their distribution in News Feed. But, as always, publishers should refer to our publishing best practices.”

Back in February, Facebook updated its algorithm to prioritize “authentic” content in the News Feed, thereby downgrading fake news posts, clickbait, and other spam. This was followed by another change in May that lowered the chances of users seeing low-quality links.

Permalink to story.

I'm glad that they are taking action. I don't like how they prioritize videos. Videos are incredibly distracting to just about anything else of facebook (which, yeah, is the point of the video).

I see people abuse this all the time. A static meme or a gif will be on a video loop for no reason whatsoever. Just so it can be placed higher in FB's algorithm. it's a smart idea to game the system but worse for users. I haven't had to deal with the clickbait but my friends don't share that kind of stuff. I can imagine it being a huge problem (just like false news articles) for many people.

Back