Facebook confirms tracking your location even when you've opted out

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Two senators have asked Facebook to explain the need to track users' location at all times, and were met with an unsurprising response - to serve you relevant ads. The company prefers if you give its apps access to Location Services, but it does have other ways of tracking your location even without your permission.

By now it's no secret that companies like Facebook and Google are doing their best to track your location as precisely as they can, since their business model and the utility of their services both depend on it to a great extent.

In the case of Facebook, every now and then it decides to come up with a new explanation on why it needs to use your location, even if you deny it permission to do so. Earlier this year, it was revealed that one reason for that controversial practice is the company is building a "be on the lookout" list of people who might be potential threats to its employees or its physical and online properties.

This week, the social giant has once again confirmed the obvious - it's still tracking your movements in several ways, even if you've turned off location permissions for its apps. According to a letter sent to two US senators and published by The Hill, the company doesn't need direct access to Location Services to get a good idea about where you are, where you are going, and when.

Specifically, Facebook will look at the information you and your friends may provide through your normal activity on the platform. For example, the company can discern your location using geo-tagged content posted on the platform - pictures, check-ins at a restaurant or store, interest shown in an event, and an address provided while using Facebook Marketplace to buy or sell things.

Then there's the less accurate but still adequate monitoring of your IP address, which still gives Facebook a rough idea about which ads and sponsored posts to serve you based on your general location. Deputy chief privacy officer Rob Sherman explains that it helps the company tune its advertising so that it's as relevant as possible for you, the user.

Christopher Coons and Josh Hawley, the two senators that asked Facebook about its location tracking practices, have criticized the company on Twitter for not allowing users to opt out. And just like Apple CEO Tim Cook, they called for tougher privacy regulation.

With the release of the privacy-focused iOS 13, the location tracking usage is reported in great detail to users, prompting Facebook to be more transparent about its practices. However, it said at the time that users are in control over when and how Facebook uses their location info, which seems to apply only to their "precise location."

That said, the company deserves some credit for its candid response. Senator Coons noted "I appreciate Facebook’s attempts to inform users about their privacy choices. However, I am concerned that these efforts are insufficient and even misleading in light of how Facebook is actually treating user data."

In the meantime, if you're a Facebook user and can't do without your account, there are a couple of things you can do to "opt out" of as much location tracking as possible. One solution may be to use one of the VPNs that's been verified to keep no logs and fool the social giant into thinking you're somewhere else. A second solution is to tweak your Facebook privacy settings and ask your friends not to tag you in any of their posts.

Permalink to story.

Of course they do. Let's talk about them monitoring microphones next.

Especially if you "check in" somewhere. Now that's a duh moment though.
There were many articles about it, Apple recently dumped it's Siri Voice analytics due to privacy concerns. Literally one they people worked on the project another day they stopped that practice and sent the employees away...If one company is about Privacy that is Apple.
They had been part of some controversy, but sooner or later they ended up being Privacy focused and give users choice to opt-in or out. They not perfect, but at least they are trying to be and I think that they will keep this sentiment as long as possible.
FYI Apple is not selling your data to 3rd parties, but sharing within companies they own.

Those that still use facebook, why don't instead of using their battery hogging, spying app, just use the mobile site at https://m.facebook.com?
Why do people ocntinue to use facebook when time and time again it has been shown as a leaky repository of your entire life for anyone else to discover?

Same reason my old friend group insisted on using facebook messenger to arrange meetups, as opposed to a group SMS.

Because people are sheep, indoctrinated into thinking facebook is the best means of communication andd taught that personal information should belong to corporations.

Option 3, quit facebook and continue with your life..

Better to disable the services installed. The default install that comes in the OS (at least on my unlocked S10 - can't be uninstalled) has several apps running hidden in the background. I suspect this is how they still track you even. I wouldn't put it past them to not still track/record you logged out or even without an account.

If I have to pull information from an event I was invited to, I will open a browser and choose "Request Desktop Site". Even icongnito mode would be better. You can also access Messages without installing that spyware/adware Messenger app. It's real disgusting when companies are like thieves stealing information. All for their love of money.

I check Facebook everyday. But I'm not obsessed with it to the point of having it on my phone. For me a phone screen is too small for that anyway.

Did you read the article? Using m.facebook.com and using it on PC *WOULD NOT HELP* with the problems the article describes. I assumed the article would be saying the app uses your phone's sensors (list of wifi networks or something) to determine your location without your permission. It's not, it's saying facebook's using your IP address to get rough location, then your (and your friends!) posts and likes to determine where you've been and where you plan to go, and any geotags your photos have (and friends photos you happen to be in!). Posting on mobile site instead of facebook app, and using your PC instead, in no way help with this.

The only way to help is quit using facebook. Even that's no guarantee since it'll still be trolling through friend's posts; so probably you should remove your friends and change your photo before you deactivate your account.

Same as Android OS is periodically taking photos using your phone (both front and back camera) even when you think the camera is off.

Did you read the article? Using m.facebook.com and using it on PC *WOULD NOT HELP* with the problems the article describes. I assumed the article would be saying the app uses your phone's sensors (list of wifi networks or something) to determine your location without your permission.
You seem to have misunderstood what I meant. I'm talking about accessing Facebook exclusively from a web browser that is properly secured, not using Facebook's self made apps.

I can't be the only one on the planet that DOESN'T WANT ANY ADVERTS AT ALL???

No problems. Just pay for the apps and they come in advert-free version. Unless you want free apps AND without adverts. In which case you expect programmers to be slaves that work for free.

No problems. Just pay for the apps and they come in advert-free version. Unless you want free apps AND without adverts. In which case you expect programmers to be slaves that work for free.
What about all the "Free" apps that have no ad-free paid option? Ad blockers are your only choice then. Your attempted guilt-trip is exactly meaningless.

Back