Facebook Dating is now available in the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: Facebook said it designed its dating service with safety, security and privacy in mind. Users will be able to block and report anyone. You also won’t be matched up with any of your Facebook friends (unless you add them to your Secret Crush list) and you can even choose not to match with friends of friends. Furthermore, anyone you have previously blocked will not be suggested as a match.

Facebook’s inaugural dating service is now live in the US, aiming to help people start “meaningful relationships” based on common interests. Facebook said it takes the work out of creating a dating profile and gives users a more authentic look at who someone really is.

Facebook announced intentions to hitch a ride aboard the online dating bandwagon more than 16 months ago. We haven’t heard much about the service since but that’s partly because Facebook has been focusing on launching the product in other regions first.

Facebook Dating is currently available in 19 other markets including Brazil, Canada, Mexico and Thailand and is coming to Europe in early 2020.

The social network said it is also enabling the ability to integrate Instagram posts directly into your Facebook Dating profile. You can even add Instagram followers (and Facebook friends) to your Secret Crush list and by the end of the year, you’ll be able to add Facebook and Instagram Stories to your dating profile as well.

Facebook hasn't done much lately to instill trust among its user base – quite the opposite, in fact. Indeed, the service’s biggest challenge will be convincing users to trust them with their dating life.

Permalink to story.

Considering the MASSIVE amount of fraud in dating applications (even the paid ones) and Fakebooks reputation over the years, I wouldn't trust them with my dirty jock strap!

On one hand they can arguably provide the best dating services given how much information they have collected over the years. But on the other hand, this is like filling a dumpster full of flammable stuff and holding a lit match over it........

I started a new burner account on Facebook recently.

Suddenly, I have almost 500 Ghana and Nigerian females on it asking about me and trying to sell me bitcoin, get me into forex trading or trying to sell me protection from witchcraft.

And then theirs the blondes and redheads - with hot photos stolen (probably) from some other woman - who start asking about me, never want to use Facetime to show more than their photos and end up deleted as "spam" by Facebook days later.

I met a foreign chick on Facebook. Talked with her for a while. I flew to her country on vacation last year to meet her. We hit it off and spent even more time together. I even took her on a trip with me to another country. But overtime, there were things about her I wasn't fully happy with. I am still "friends" with her, but I'm no longer sexually involved with her.

Facebook can be a great place to date, but you don't truly "know" a person till you've lived with them.

I liked the PASSIVE ability to meet and chat or date through messenger, but I personally don't want Facebook collecting metadata on myself, my dating preferences, etc.

#1 When you add someone to your friend list, a lot of their friends become your friends and a lot of their friends may be more interesting to you/ or you may be more interesting to their friends.

My X, for example had a friend, I was more interested in.

#2 When you do network with someone else's friends: there's always some jealous $%^&% who's gonna send you DM to tell you all about her dirt. The same exact thing may happen to you because your X who is stalking may do the same to you.

#3 Any mistruths, or half truths you tell will suddenly become public and widespread. Any rumors will as well.

How much do you want people knowing about you?

I feed Facebook misinformation all the time and I refuse to use my real name or my real anything. I also avoid being tagged in photos as much as possible.

I don't trust Smuckerberg.

I don't trust his FBI handlers trying to use my info.

All I use Facebook for is the instant messenger and off-color memes.

I would date Facebook at 15 years. According to Wikipedia it was founded on February 2004. And this data is not limited to US...

This should be automatically disabled for those whose relationship status is essentially "taken." I feel like this feature could be used as a tool to commit adultery, not to mention calling an fb friend your "Secret Crush" (Isn't your one and only crush supposed to be your SO?). Then again, people can lie in social media.

Last edited:
This should be automatically disabled for those whose relationship status is essentially "taken." I feel like this feature could be used as a tool to commit adultery, not to mention calling an fb friend your "Secret Crush" (Isn't your one and only crush supposed to be your SO?). Then again, people can lie in social media.

People don't cheat on people! Facebook does! Ban facebook! We should make a laws against assault facebook accounts. ;)

Back