Facebook doesn't work

So, I know this topic seems to be something pretty big lately, but I'm honestly sick of these problems and none of the fixes I've seen here have really worked.

So, like normal, Facebook doesn't load in any browser, I typed ping www.facebook.com and it doesn't show any problems, I tried tracert www.facebook.com doesn't show any problems either, I've cleared the cache, tried HTTPS'', tried the ip address for facebook, and still doesn't connect. It worked a few times when I did https but then stopped working. It sometimes starts working when I restart my laptop but then it stops connecting a little bit later. I'm not using a router, just a direct connection (until I get my router). I'm running a virus check to see if it perhaps has something to do with a virus. I just don't really know what else to do. It's kind of a pain trying to figure out what to do in order to make this work. I know it's a problem with my computer but I can't figure out what problem it could be.

Under your browser search for Facebook and delete all cookies for it.
Also
Open a Dos Prompt
Run as Admin
type: netstat -s -p tcp -f > %homepath%\desktop\tcp_before.txt
[FONT=Tahoma]ipconfig /flushdns[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]nbtstat -R[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]netsh int reset all[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]netsh int ip reset[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]netsh winsock reset[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]sc stop Dhcp[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]sc start Dhcp[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]sc stop Dnscache[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]sc start Dnscache[/FONT]

reboot your PC at this point
Also when you get back into your PC there will be tcp_before.txt on your desktop.
Try to connect to facebook again
If you can't run
Open a Dos Prompt
Run as Admin
type: netstat -s -p tcp -f > %homepath%\desktop\tcp_after.txt
post your results for both before and after.

Tracert update:

tracert.temp.jpg

So, it times out around step 20. Anyone know what that means and how I can fix it?

I'm trying out what you said right now.

Just wanted to add that while this also worked for me it was only by going through the network connection troubleshooter (Win 7) that I could actually connect to the internet after rebooting.

I'm not certain what the problem was but it said "Unidentified network" in network connections. The troubleshooter (I think!) reset my computer to "Home" and it had to restart DCHP again.

So, I would advise anyone else who wants to try this (and it certainly worked for me - thanks!!) save a copy of this page before you do anything, because you might find yourself in the same spot I was in, and unable to access it again.

There are other computers on our office network (all Win 7 - the XP ones work fine?) which can't connect to Facebook or YouTube, but I'm reluctant to try this again in case I just got lucky fixing the connection on this one machine.

If you're not sure what you're doing ask someone who knows a bit more about network connections to try this solution for you.

I have been wrestling with this problem for weeks on my new Windows 8.1 computer, and I think I have finally hit on the solution to my particular situation. None of the suggested solutions I found helped at all (except perhaps momentarily). Using tracert I found that facebook was using ipv6. To debug, I turned off ipv6. Voila, no more problems accessing facebook. I know this is not the whole issue - either my windows 8.1 computer or my router are not resolving ipv6 somehow. Any further suggestions would appreciate it.

Back