Facebook / Meta declared the worst company of 2021 in survey

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Meta, which most people still know as Facebook, has capped off one of its most controversy-riddled years by being crowned the worst company of 2021, as voted for by the participants of a recent survey.

Yahoo Finance has a December tradition in which it announces the Company of the Year—Microsoft took the honors in 2021—but this year sees a less-welcome award: the worst firm of the last 12 months.

The publication writes that 1,541 people responded to the open-ended survey between December 4 and 5. Dozens of names were put forward, but there was a very clear winner: Facebook, or Meta, to be accurate, taking 8% of the vote. It was a decisive win for Mark Zuckerberg's firm; Facebook/Meta took 50% more votes than second-place Alibaba.

The result isn’t totally surprising. 2021 has been Facebook’s worst year since being embroiled in the Cambridge Analytica scandal in 2018. There was the ongoing WhatsApp data-sharing controversy, users’ phone numbers being sold on Telegram, it allegedly overestimating audience figures, more antitrust lawsuits, fighting with Apple over Cupertino’s App Tracking Transparency policy, the massive outage, and the Instagram for Kids project.

But the biggest PR hits came in September when company documents appeared to show Facebook understood just how harmful Instagram could be to teenage girls. There was also whistleblower Frances Haugen’s testimony that Facebook prioritizes profit over its impact on society.

In the middle of the whistleblower news cycle, Facebook announced that it would be changing its corporate name to Meta, a move it likely hoped would distract the public. The company has also been promoting its metaverse concept, something few people seem to care about.

Following Facebook on the worst-companies list is Alibaba, AT&T, and Nikola, with most complaints aimed at those firms’ share prices in 2021. Tesla took fifth spot due to anger over it rolling out unready products, sexual harassment /race discrimination allegations, and Elon Musk living up to his self-proclaimed Edgelord persona. Still, it never stopped him from winning Time’s person of the year.

Permalink to story.

In the middle of the whistleblower news cycle, Facebook announced that it would be changing its corporate name to Meta, a move it likely hoped would distract the public. The company has also been promoting its metaverse concept, something few people seem to care about.
Yeah, they bought and ruined Oculus in the process. I was about ready to buy myself an Oculus Rift (?) 2, when I found out I could only activate it with an Android phone, and a Facebook (Sorry "Meta"), account..

Meanwhile, M$ screwed up the, "Vudu to Go" for Windows app, by restricting it to Windows 10 only compatibility.

No surprises here ..... is there a worse CEO available? Hmmmmmm, I can think of one .....

Not just the CEO though, the political maneuvering through Cambridge Analitica, plus Facebook algorithm is *designed* to basically infuriate you because it gets you invested in arguing with people and consuming their platform and they're so good at it that well I already quoted the worst example: proven effectiveness than people invested heavily in order to influence elections in favor of whatever candidates pays them.

When you have that much of an unlikeable character at the top, that much political influence AND on top of that it hits closer to home since it's the #1 place where you will see *your* relatives and extended family members turn into conspiracy theory rhetoric and outright radicalization it pretty much means that there's no other company that is as thoroughly and irredeemably evil as Facebook.

Yeah, they bought and ruined Oculus in the process. I was about ready to buy myself an Oculus Rift (?) 2, when I found out I could only activate it with an Android phone, and a Facebook (Sorry "Meta"), account..

Meanwhile, M$ screwed up the, "Vudu to Go" for Windows app, by restricting it to Windows 10 only compatibility.

I don't remember when, but they are removing the needed to have a facebook account to use the Oculus in the near future. If that matters to you at all.

https://www.techspot.com/news/91994...sets-remove-facebook-account-requirement.html

I'm not sure about any other requirements needed to use the device. I just know that at least Facebook is removing the need to have a Facebook account to use it.

I don't remember when, but they are removing the needed to have a facebook account to use the Oculus in the near future. If that matters to you at all.
Well, I bought myself so many silly computer parts "for Christmas" already, it might have to wait as few months.

Supposedly the Facebook requirement will be lifted in January. It's still on now, and Facebook, like fate, can be so fickle.

The install and activate requirements are, (AFAIK) wireless internet and Android, since what you'll be downloading are "APK" files..

Now, IDK if you can use an Android emulator (It needs to be 6.0 or above), or a Bluetooth connection could be used. In any case, I'd have to spring for an adapter card to test the theory, since none of my machines have it.

The way it stands now, I'd have to spring for wireless service, and an Android phone to use the Oculus, and...(even if only temporarily)... join Facebook

As for the Vudu bullshit, I wanted to buy the 4th season of "the Outpost", and download it from them to my PC(s. Anyway, of course M$ won't let you have the free program if you're not running Win 10.

Insult to injury, you can buy movies and such through Roku. I already bought a step up device in order to get a wired internet port. But to buy TV series or movies and store them, I'd have to spring for another yet another step up device, which has a USB port, and an external drive,

Last edited:
"There was also whistleblower Frances Haugen’s testimony that Facebook prioritizes profit over its impact on society"

You know, I've always wondered why such statements are so shocking. Don't get me wrong, I've never liked FB and never used it's "services". Everything about it gave me the willy's even in it's early days. But the same can be said about many if not most companies. Not matter how much they say otherwise, profit is often the only motivator. Just because FB is a massive "social media" company doesn't mean that it's unique in this regard.

Like I stated a few months ago no one believed me when I stated FAKEBOOK banned me 30 days for posting an article from WALL STREET JOURNAL about inflation. Now it's all over the news lol.

I never believed you viewers on this site and others how evil Suckerberg is, and I have to eat my own words and you guys were right. I ended up researching Suckerbeg more in depth and I hate him more than ever.

Bobby Kotick is a VERY close second place.
|Quite frankly, they're all sociopaths. The crazier they are, the more greedy they are, the more narcissistic they are, the more infected they are with I call, "Alexander the Great Syndrome"(**), the richer they're likely to become.

I honestly think this connects. to animal instincts such as the male lion fighting to be the alpha so he can bang every female in the pride.

You can't conquer through invasion anymore, so the drive manifests itself via subjugation through finance.The only difference between now and the middle ages is, you have to buy your own palace, instead of killing the former king to take it off him. And "putting your competition out of business", is the modern version of killing the old king.

It might not require a Facebook account, but that doesn't mean they are not collecting your data

Digital crack that is ruining billions of lives.
No. You're sort of on the right track but, irts more of a digital cesspool or tar pit, that affords people the opportunity to ruin their own lives.

Like I've always said, "you can lead Smilodon fatalis to La Brea, but you can't make him wade in". But, his hunger, need, and greed, will finish the job for you. :eek: ;)

Last edited:
It might not require a Facebook account, but that doesn't mean they are not collecting your data
What got me all hyped up about the Oculus, was they had a virtual tour of Chernobyl available, and I haven't had a vacation in years..

I know what you're thinking and yes, I am that eccentric, and yes, I do like to be that alone.

Funny thing though, there is an amusement park there, but it sure as hell ain't Disneyland. :rolleyes:

Whoa!! That's one major surprise.........NOT!!

That septic tank and its slime-ball owners are over-due for such an amazing recognition and prestigious award!!

Back