Facebook parent Meta is targeting low-performing staff who fear job cuts could reach 10%

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Meta employees are reportedly preparing themselves for job cuts that could see up to 10% of employees lose their jobs. The claim comes a few weeks after CEO Mark Zuckerberg warned workers he was introducing "ruthless prioritization" and "modified performance standards."

Insider reports that Meta's human-resources chief, Lori Goler, sent a memo to staff warning that the company has started to operate with "increased intensity" and that it plans to "transition" low performers out of the company, which is probably the nicest way to say people are being fired.

The memo also tells managers to build high-performing teams, ruthlessly prioritize, and make the most of synchronous and asynchronous time with teams.

According to the report, a person with knowledge of director-level conversations said up to 10% of workers at the Facebook parent could lose their jobs this year. One employee said the feeling of engineering managers looking for people to cut was like being subject to a "witch hunt."

Another person said the company recently gave them an "offer to leave," which they took rather than waiting to be pushed.

The news isn't entirely surprising. It was just a few weeks ago when Zuckerberg, during a Q&A with employees, said the company intends to clamp down on underperformers. "...some of you might decide this isn't the place for you, and that self-selection is OK with me," the CEO added. The company's head of engineering, meanwhile, recently told managers to place low and "neutral" performers on review and performance plans. Those unable to "get on track" would be shown the door.

Meta also said it planned to slow down its number of hires in 2022, reducing the number of new workers coming into the company from an original target of 10,000 to between 6,000 and 7,000. Moreover, Meta CPO Chris Cox sent a memo to staff confirming it intends to "prioritize ruthlessly" and "operate leaner, meaner, better executing teams."

Facebook/Meta ramped up its hiring during the pandemic to cope with the extra demand while allowing staff to be more relaxed when it came to meeting targets. That's all changed this year as many people return to the office and the world deals with an economic downturn. We've already seen Google, Microsoft, Seagate, Snap, Twitter, and Corsair impacted by and reacting to "macroeconomic headwinds," and more companies will doubtlessly follow suit.

Permalink to story.

Well, that's what you should expect working for a soulless corporation. You can't be perceived as being lazy.

And if you are one of those people expecting a free ride, good riddance.
Exactly. So many entitled people coming into the work force....welcome to reality.

Well, that's what you should expect working for a soulless corporation. You can't be perceived as being lazy.

And if you are one of those people expecting a free ride, good riddance.
Is it just "perception"? You would think that the company would have well defined performance metrics for employees. I've worked for big corps and it was always understood what the expectations were.

I don't think it's a bad thing for any corporation to look at staffing levels and performance and make adjustments. We've been through some pretty rough financial times and we're not done yet. If I were a major corporation, I would be looking at how I can weather the next 12-24 months and that probably means cost reductions. Unfortunately, most corporations today do that via layoffs.

It could also mean they are preparing for a potential break-up. There has been a lot of noise from Congress on reining in the big tech companies. Maybe Zuck is going to figure out how to divide the company so he can fly under the radar with the politicians.

So many companies think they can measure peoples output .
Even "objective" measurements can be misleading
That check out operator at Safeways pumps through 1 item every second must be a winner - yet customers apples get bruised , raw chicken in with fresh bread - surly countenance etc etc
Or cases handled
Joe takes easy ones - obvious mistake in submission -that's easily fixed - not Joe he sadistically rejects it and says resubmit ( pay another $50 and hope time issues for submitter invalid it - eg now out of date health scans )
Joe does 200 files in a day - he's a super worker
John takes on high valued complex cases - that Joe has no idea how to do properly
John does 10 cases in a day - with super happy clients - does maintenance to fragile system
John fixes all Joe's mistakes that cost the company time , money and customers

John needs to go the lazy slacker
New manager comes in and says some stupid idea
Mary claps and nods her head ( she's a stayer )

Bill looks always busy - walks briskly from department to dept - dressed nice - does not do much
Bob finishes his stuff quickly - plays around with some options going forward , strolls slowly- tie unloose

Bobs a slacker get rid of him

Mary knows how to screw over suppliers or buyers real good and give minimal aftercare
Yep she's a keeper

tl/dr - yes there is obvious deadwood , negative disruptive , dis-respecters of expensive tools or production runs .

But I've heard so many stories of companies sacking the real linchpins and having to then beg them to become expensive contractors when it all goes pear shape

Doing this as a perceived special event with a witch-hunt feel is probably my least favorite way of approaching it.

Otherwise performance management is a tough tightrope with downfalls on both sides. Firing good people just because someone force ranked them in the bottom 10% is obviously bad. But it's also pretty bad to accumulate what a lot of people come to regard as deadweight with no accountability. That will slowly kill morale and change the culture of everyone else too, especially when others have to carry their weight or put up with their nonsense.

Stuff like this is why I don't miss middle management in a corporate environment.

Number of conservatives banned, probably.
Boo-hoo, poor conservatives. Everybody's out to get you! It's time to steal as many elections as possible and force your ideals and beliefs on everyone. Oh wait, you're already doing that. I mean, what is the world coming to when a "conservative" can't post lies and propaganda on every social media platform with impunity. Sheesh!

I believe many companies have been doing this for decades. It just wasn't publicized alot and if it was, people would just accept it and move on. But today when controversial tech companies like FB, Google, Apple and alike are in the news it becomes a riot.

Not hard to believe that perhaps tech companies are getting back at the great resignation and being woke by using inflation as a reason to filter out these people. But you also filter the good workers as well. Another reason I thought of is the union. If Meta becomes unionized it means across the board pay for everyone even if you're an underachiever. It's also harder to get fired.

My company is unionized and everyone is paid the same wage no matter how much work you do or know. One said we should get paid the same because we all do the same job. Of course we all can do the same simple jobs, but what about the ones that can do and know more than you? Just my thought.

Boo-hoo, poor conservatives. Everybody's out to get you! It's time to steal as many elections as possible and force your ideals and beliefs on everyone. Oh wait, you're already doing that. I mean, what is the world coming to when a "conservative" can't post lies and propaganda on every social media platform with impunity. Sheesh!
No matter your opinion, can't you honestly see that's what going on right now with this inept administration? Step back and look honestly. I don't care who's in charge of this sh*tshow, they are there to take our money.

Yeah I mean 5 years of fake Russian collision unchecked on every platform isn't propaganda at all. Or how conservatives couldn't even mention Huntard Biden without being banned for a story that was true.
And if you don't think the left tries to "force their ideals and beliefs on everyone" you need a serious wake up call.
What a joke....

Last edited:
No matter your opinion, can't you honestly see that's what going on right now with this inept administration? Step back and look honestly. I don't care who's in charge of this sh*tshow, they are there to take our money.
Some people care more about the side they support than the truth....both sides are guilty of it for sure.
Yeah this administration is a complete joke and everyone knows it. Joe doesn't and never has had the leadership skills to be the president.
He was put in office because he was the lest radical of all the crazies that the democrats had to pick from. And then we have the VP who has proven to be a total failure as well. But she had particular physicals attributes that helped him get elected. This is what happens when you vote for identity and feelings over reality.

He was put in office because he was the lest radical of all the crazies that the democrats had to pick from.
Tulsi Gabbard sure was a radical for not wanting us to be constantly involved in forever wars. It wasn't that long ago that plank used to be the party's raisson d'etre, now they accuse people that hold it of being Russian bots. How times change.

All these years and businesses still don't get it. How do you define "low performing"? Is the guy that just invented an app that grosses $100B a low performer if that's the only thing he did all year when the guy/girl beside him knocks out 100 apps a day that make nothing ...... go figure.

Tulsi Gabbard sure was a radical for not wanting us to be constantly involved in forever wars. It wasn't that long ago that plank used to be the party's raisson d'etre, now they accuse people that hold it of being Russian bots. How times change.
I don't agree with her on some things but yeah she was pretty mild compared to some of the others. Not sure why she didn't get more support.

Yeah I mean 5 years of fake Russian collision unchecked on every platform isn't propaganda at all. Or how conservatives couldn't even mention Huntard Biden without being banned for a story that was true.
And if you don't think the left tries to "force their ideals and beliefs on everyone" you need a serious wake up call.
What a joke....
Trump did collude with russia, this much is certain. The only reason he wasn't forced to leave office was because GOP protected him and because the meetings he, his son and his staff had with russians weren't recorded.

I mean, his son actually met with russians to discuss dirt on Hillary, he admited to this.

FYI, any administration in the history of the US is better than Trump's. The GOP has hit rock bottom, they don't even hide their racist and fascist ideology anymore.

Back