Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jboman

I have a question for all

Has anyone in Techspot experienced any trojan, virus or worm attacks while using facebook?

I have a facebook account and just yesterday, Sunday 07-12-09 I was hi-jacked

I stopped the trojan from installing, performed a system restore, then updated my internet security suite software

It doesn't appears as if I have any issue(s) happening this morning as of yet, but if I do I will follow the infamous 8 steps process

Also, my wife's was in Facebook on Saturday 07-11-09 and encountered the exact same attack. I stopped the trojan from installing, performed a system restore, then updated her internet security suite software. She hasn't had any issues as of yet, but if she does I will follow the 8 Steps process

I'm curious, and would like to know if anyone has experienced a hi-jack while using Facebook or MySpace?

Are social sites like Facebook and MySpace safe?

Thanks

I have never come across anything, where did it originate? What page / application were you viewing?
There are applications that may cause this...

I was responding to a Super Food Fight request that was sent to me by a friend to 'hit' them back. Which I have 2 days to do so.

My wife was sent a similar Super Food Fight request, then responded to 'hit' back

I have responded to past friend, pillow fight and food fight requests with no incident or issue

So, you are probably right it was the Super Food Fight app that may be the culprit

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the prompt reply

The only thing I can suggest for now is to follow this link...

https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

It is very good (if you follow it step by step) on finding spyware and what not.
Once you post the required info, we can hopefully take it from there.
I hope being "Facebook" that there isn't anything attached to your account...
There are many apps on Facebook, (which in my opinion should be scanned before being allowed on the network) which will do this.
Even if something comes from a 'friend I may trust' I am not eager to jump on over to the app, I'll check it out to see if it's verified and go through reviews as well.
Hope this helps...

I wonder if all the people who use those Facebook app's realise the potentail danger?

Not just from malware but data harvesting, " /insert name here/ has answered a personal question about you! do you want to hand over all your personal data so you can see what this non-existant peice of information is"_____"/inset name here says you secretly like cheese". F************************************!!!

As you can guess I never run facebook applications. Or click on links that say things like "Hey check out this picture of you looking sexy" or some other IT'S A TRAP! kind of things.

/end rant

I would suggest that you change your password in case anyone else has access to your account. Also asks if any of your friends have had weird things happen to them on facebook as well and offer them the same advice (Remind them that it should be a strong password etc.)

I wonder if all the people who use those Facebook app's realise the potentail danger?

Not just from malware but data harvesting, " /insert name here/ has answered a personal question about you! do you want to hand over all your personal data so you can see what this non-existant peice of information is"_____"/inset name here says you secretly like cheese". F************************************!!!

As you can guess I never run facebook applications. Or click on links that say things like "Hey check out this picture of you looking sexy" or some other IT'S A TRAP! kind of things.

/end rant

I would suggest that you change your password in case anyone else has access to your account. Also asks if any of your friends have had weird things happen to them on facebook as well and offer them the same advice (Remind them that it should be a strong password etc.)

LOL, but I could have won a free IPHONE just for clicking on a link!

The only time that they'll get me with that one is if they're offering a free umpa lumpa, I just wouldn't be able to resist. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back