Facial recognition software rejects Asian man's passport photo because it thinks his eyes are closed

midian182

Staff member

Can software be racist? No, though humans can inadvertently design programs that appear racially insensitive, or, as was the case with Microsoft’s Tay chatbot, intentionally turn an AI into a raging hatemonger. Facial recognition systems occasionally fall into the former category; the latest incident saw a New Zealand man of Asian descent have his passport photo rejected because the software thought his eyes were closed.

Twenty-two-year-old Richard Lee was attempting to renew his passport online but was surprised when the photo checker blocked his picture. “Subject eyes are closed,” read the notification, despite the fact they are clearly open. It seems the software was having trouble with Taiwan-born Lee’s epicanthal folds.

The engineering student, who is currently studying Aerospace Engineering and Business Management in Melbourne, contacted the Department of Internal Affairs to find out why the system was having a problem with his picture. A spokesperson told him 'uneven lighting on the face' caused it to be rejected, and explained that up to 20 percent of passport photos submitted online are rejected for various reasons, the most common being that the subject’s eyes are closed.

Lee wasn’t offended by the automated system’s response. "No hard feelings on my part, I've always had very small eyes and facial recognition technology is relatively new and unsophisticated," he told Reuters. "It was a robot, no hard feelings. I got my passport renewed in the end."

The incident shows that while facial recognition has come a long way, there are still bumps in the road. Last year, Google found itself in trouble after its software labeled two black people in a photograph as “gorillas.”

Lee said he saw the humor in his situation. “'Some people get offended way too easily because they're not as confident with their origins... At the end of the day we're all different and of course there are certain situations where you have to stick up and some situations it's just a good laugh.” He even uploaded the image below to Facebook.

Permalink to story.

“Subject eyes are closed,” read the notification, despite the fact they are clearly open.
Are you certain? I know I'm not sure...
As an asian person, I find this to be absolutely hilarious. I remember in highschool, one of my friends had absolutely tiny eyes, like slits for eyes. We'd always make fun of him and tell him to open his eyes when he's walking.
Lol that's funny... cause... you know...

There is nothing racist about traits. The media is so desperate for anything "race" related. Quit already.
Labeling everything as racist is just another way for people to legislate free speech away, just look at what's happening in Europe.

hate speech, AKA MUH EMOTIONS. No one cares if you're offended. I'd say if you are offended you deserve to be offended. If you care enough about what other people think about you then you deserve everything that comes with it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many issues with facial recognition to rely on it. Easy to dup, and fails too often. (As far as other reports and articles that I've read to date.)

Oh, if they are having trouble with eyes, they certainly will fall apart at my earlier challenge to handle identical twins or quads .... oh yeah, there's a whole lot of thinking going on!

There is nothing racist about traits. The media is so desperate for anything "race" related. Quit already.
Labeling everything as racist is just another way for people to legislate free speech away, just look at what's happening in Europe.

hate speech, AKA MUH EMOTIONS. No one cares if you're offended. I'd say if you are offended you deserve to be offended. If you care enough about what other people think about you then you deserve everything that comes with it.

You've got to care just a little. It's what makes us human, man. If everyone just said "F*ck all everyone else" This world would be even worse than it is already, if that's even possible (lol?) I know caring about what people think about you and saying "f*ck all else" might see like a bit of a leap, but I dont really think it is. If you don't care what anyone else thinks of you, people probably think you are an arsehole., and it's probably for a reason. (Not talking about you specifically, and I dont think you even really intended someone to focus on this one sentence in your post, but I did. Sorry! lol)

You've got to care just a little. It's what makes us human, man. If everyone just said "F*ck all everyone else" This world would be even worse than it is already, if that's even possible (lol?) I know caring about what people think about you and saying "f*ck all else" might see like a bit of a leap, but I dont really think it is. If you don't care what anyone else thinks of you, people probably think you are an arsehole., and it's probably for a reason. (Not talking about you specifically, and I dont think you even really intended someone to focus on this one sentence in your post, but I did. Sorry! lol)
I care about the people who matter in my life and I hope they care about the other people in their life, so on and so forth. Those are the only people in life who's opinions should matter to you. The people who try to offend me have families that they care about and care about them. Joe blow the racist over there? Who the hell is he? If he spends all his trying to piss off black people is his opinion even worth mentioning? We empower these people by caring. Being offended is caring about an irrelevant persons opinion. Or, in short, "don't feed the trolls".

As an asian person, I find this to be absolutely hilarious. I remember in highschool, one of my friends had absolutely tiny eyes, like slits for eyes. We'd always make fun of him and tell him to open his eyes when he's walking.
Reminds me of the Archie comic book character, Jughead. If you're old enough, you should remember it as well.

If you are developing anything serious for the whole world make sure you have a team represents the whole world..

If you are developing anything serious for the whole world make sure you have a team represents the whole world..
>facial recognition software isn't %100 accurate yet
>it's because the workforce isn't diverse enough

You people are the worst. It's not diversity, it's development. His eyes are so thin it looks like he's squinting because he's stoned.

I care about the people who matter in my life and I hope they care about the other people in their life, so on and so forth. Those are the only people in life who's opinions should matter to you. The people who try to offend me have families that they care about and care about them. Joe blow the racist over there? Who the hell is he? If he spends all his trying to piss off black people is his opinion even worth mentioning? We empower these people by caring. Being offended is caring about an irrelevant persons opinion. Or, in short, "don't feed the trolls".
I have to absolutely agree with you on this.

As I see it, personal empowerment is about how one feels about one's self, not about how everyone else feels about you. If someone is aiming to offend with their words, what does that say about them and how they feel about themselves? I've known people who aim to offend, and the only thing that I can think is that their own sense of self-worth must be sorely lacking to the extent that they must put others down to feel good about themselves.

To me, life is a mirror. If one sees something in another that they don't like, then perhaps that person should look within themselves for the reason they do not like whatever it is. That is not to say that this is always true, IMO, one should look inside first with as much honesty as possible before calling someone else out.

Well said, awesome point and totally agree. Yea, you said it much better than I did. lol

Back